Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Six. Enjoy living in a self-centered, narcissistic society where people don't go through the training of raising children which teaches people to be more patient and selfless and self-sacrificing.

Seven. Miss out on the miracle of life, the joy of raising children which can only be experienced and not explained. You will never hear the sound of your baby laughing, the miraculous moment your little child begins to talk and walk, and yes, the sadness of the day they drive off to college.

Eight. Grow old, cold, and lonely, and have no children or grandchildren to come visit you, to do your shopping for you, to keep you company, to advocate for you when you can no longer speak for yourself.

Yeah there's that side of it. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have some shorties around, oh wait I have that. I just send them home when we're finished playing. Then there's the failure to thrive generation that live in their parents basements until the day they die. Having kids is a crap shoot. Money is security, not kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM

388 posts, read 276,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledpainter View Post
Why not just have 6+ kids and get State aid? That's quite a tidy sum you'll get paid for. Millions of people use that as their business model. Apparently it works pretty well. Let the suckers who work and pay taxes pay for your kids.

Yes, but these people can't have a comfortable life given the bare minimum assistance from the State for the kids? I am not questioning you--just curious.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
In this day and age, it seems to take competence to NOT start a family - accidentally.
Very true words.

So many people might want to start a family, whether they are a married couple or not, and trick the other one into it. Or strong-arm them into, as in, "I'm ready for children, or i'm out the door". this really happens. And I won't say how I know, or who I know.

Anyway, it does take more brains and planning to NOT have them, as having them is simply a biological happen-stance.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Sorry but the best way to get past the financial hardships of the current times is to work, save your money, invest in your future and stop blaming everyone and everything else as the reasons you can't.

If millennials did more of the above instead of complaining about everything, they wouldn't have the financial problems they have.

If you spend just 5 minutes writing a post to complain about the financial hardships instead of actually doing something productive to avoid it, therein rests the answer to the problem.

If you start a family, instead of thinking you need to give give give, how about instilling a sense of responsibility and the ideal of contribution to the family instead? Instead of giving your kids the latest smartphone every year because of some misguided need to know where everyone is, think about how easy it is to know where they are if the family is together.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yeah there's that side of it. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have some shorties around, oh wait I have that. I just send them home when we're finished playing. Then there's the failure to thrive generation that live in their parents basements until the day they die. Having kids is a crap shoot. Money is security, not kids.
I'm square on with you in your comments.

I think what your comments actually reflect, and the fact that you haven't been crucified to the internet gods yet for them, is the changing understanding of family and security, as you mentioned.

not everyone wants/needs/ or can afford the white picket fence and 2.5 kids. It's a choice, and if people plan their lives right, and not allow someone else to do it for them, their own version of happiness may very well be a childless life.

Humanity will do fine replicating itself, it's just going to be the very wealthy and the very poor who do it. The rest of us in the middle, who have to pay our own way, and have a hard time affording it, are the ones who need to be very careful about it.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Or you can just be a competent member of society like many other millennials.
Bingo. Just wait a little longer. We are starting right now (largely because I was in a PhD program, so I didn't graduate until I was 29).

We will be fine, you just have to shift back a little, which really isn't even a huge deal considering that when our parents started families at 24-25 their expected life span was about 4-5 years shorter than ours is currently.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,970,309 times
Yeah, I'd like to start a family but these days it's a luxury. I'll probably have to wait until my 30s and marry a younger woman if I want that.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
already knew this. im not planning on starting a family...or buying a house. ive got different goals.

and the generation warfare on here is sickening. get over yourselves.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Define "family."

Getting married has long been shown to be a huge factor in building wealth
. With two incomes, but only sharing one roof, your housing expenditures decrease per person, as does the cost of health insurance.

More leisure time? Not if you split household duties. Having one person go to the grocery store while the other cleans the house saves time.

Less stressed... doubtful. Being married leads to more sex than what a single person has. As for sleeping in, my wife doesn't seem to have a problem doing that at all!

Now kids on the other hand, are a completely different story. They cost time and energy, worry and money. But getting married (which I would say is a family) is better than being single for financial reasons.
Hmmm, as there is probably about a 50% chance of divorce for whatever reason, and the woman wipes the man out financially, that wealth is gone. Marriage is a gamble for men.

What is another option? Roommate, cheap apartment, casual sex with the abundance of women who are now liberated.

More sex as a married person? Ha. Maybe the first few years.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. A lot of people are starting out with so much debt, even if they do get married, then that combines their total debt making a home purchase or kids simply not an option.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
The book the Millionaire Next Door cites a good first marriage as key to most successful people interviewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance