Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,939 times

Advertisements

Not starting a family is one of the best ways for millenials to cope with financial trouble.
One. You can save more efficiently.
Two. You have more time to better your skills and employment , which leads to greater earning potential.
Three. You have a whole lot more leisure time to focus on fitness and quality of life, which then save healthcare cost.
Four. You are less stressed, sleep in everyday, quiet weekends, long breakfasts, and more time socializing with friends. It increases your happiness.
Five. You may be able to take more vacations and travel, which refreshes you and recharges your battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 PM

574 posts, read 697,168 times
I'm a Millennial (24) and I largely agree with you.
  1. 100% agreed - I'm currently saving 2/3 of my income.
  2. Very true. I can stay at work as late as I want. That probably really contributed to my last bonus.
  3. Yup! Currently bicycling everywhere and taking an exercise class. Also working on cooking more. I'm pretty healthy.
  4. Got up at 9:30AM today (after a late night at work). I get up before 7:30AM maybe twice each year (for flights). No responsibilities to anyone but myself - pretty awesome. I can do whatever I want or go wherever I want without worrying about childcare/etc. I also have time to volunteer, something many married people with kids don't have time for.
  5. Yup! Currently taking an international vacation every year, plus a domestic one. Very refreshing.

With that being said, I still DO want to start a family someday. My plan is to reach financial independence in my early 30's, after which I will have the freedom to do what I want without worrying about working. Starting a family could then be an option. I do NOT want to have kids while working a full-time, stressful job. There's no point to having kids if you can't spend time with them to actually raise them.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Or you can just be a competent member of society like many other millennials.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Or both.

I don't really have any pressing interest in having kids, making it just fine imo. No Ferraris or yachts or anything in my future, but no cat food dinners living in a tent either.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or both.

I don't really have any pressing interest in having kids, making it just fine imo. No Ferraris or yachts or anything in my future, but no cat food dinners living in a tent either.
None of those should be a decision based on whether you want to make it or not. Those are lifestyle decisions.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 PM

574 posts, read 697,168 times
Quote:
In this day and age, it seems to take competence to NOT start a family - accidentally.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 PM

615 posts, read 448,852 times
Lucky you your parents didn't feel the same way. Maybe you're just selfish?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:16 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
None of those should be a decision based on whether you want to make it or not. Those are lifestyle decisions.
Well, make it it is by definition a lifestyle decision in and of itself. I'm sure there's people that wouldn't considering making it if they weren't a millionaire by 35 (went to school with some of those people). Others like myself have simpler material aspirations and are happy living a much more basic lifestyle. I have plenty of small luxuries (motorcycles, driving a newer car even if it's an economical one, cable TV, eating out). If making it is being able to afford a high-end BMW and have kids, I couldn't swing that on my budget. I could do one or the other, however. But making it to me doesn't involve either.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,488 times
How about the next generation? Who will take over your jobs to keep the economy afloat?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
How about the next generation? Who will take over your jobs to keep the economy afloat?
That's the magic question, isn't it? Seems like only the poor and lower class are having kids in anything above the replacement rate (Earth First eat your heart out!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance