Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
Life isn't a board game. You can't cheat. What I do is merely gaming the system. Finding ways to beat it. I am no different than Steve jobs or Bill gates. I'm not taking up nearly as much risk but I will not gain the same rewards. I'll still be better off than 90-95% of people though.
You are so full of it, it isn't funny. How's the basement, Garth? Mommy still feedin' ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What about medical school? Technically most doctors got there only by "living beyond their means" for a time. It is virtually impossible to work your way through it.
Medical school is delayed gratification and investing in your future. Students put off getting an income for a period of time in order to increase the income they can eventually get.

Shorted sighted people say why go to college when I can start getting an income today to buy a car (typical teenage boy). These folks work as cleaners, at restaurants, fast food etc. People without a goal say I'll just get a 4 yr degree on mom and dad's dime but I have no idea what I will do with it. These people end up at starbucks and living with mom and dad. Career oriented folks have a long planning horizon. They say in 6 yrs I want to be a engineer. In 15 years I want to be a medical Dr. Yes, I may have to scrimp and save while in school (to minimize the loans), yes I may have some loans but in the end I will have a rewarding job for 30-50 years and I will get to live well for the rest of my life (50-70 yrs). These folks aren't born into their careers. They planned ahead, worked hard, delayed their desire for leisure time and expendable income, all to realize a better life for themselves.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 PM

319 posts, read 303,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Medical school is delayed gratification and investing in your future. Students put off getting an income for a period of time in order to increase the income they can eventually get.

Shorted sighted people say why go to college when I can start getting an income today to buy a car (typical teenage boy). These folks work as cleaners, at restaurants, fast food etc. People without a goal say I'll just get a 4 yr degree on mom and dad's dime but I have no idea what I will do with it. These people end up at starbucks and living with mom and dad. Career oriented folks have a long planning horizon. They say in 6 yrs I want to be a engineer. In 15 years I want to be a medical Dr. Yes, I may have to scrimp and save while in school (to minimize the loans), yes I may have some loans but in the end I will have a rewarding job for 30-50 years and I will get to live well for the rest of my life (50-70 yrs). These folks aren't born into their careers. They planned ahead, worked hard, delayed their desire for leisure time and expendable income, all to realize a better life for themselves.
Unless there are too many medical school graduates. But hey! At least my mcdonalds fry cook can save me if I have a heart attack!

Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Real wages have not gone down, on average, for those with full time jobs.

How about for workers in the bottom 25% of the wage distribution? i.e. bottom quartile

Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Also keep in mind that it's much, much easier to become well off if you live within your means.

Generally doesn't work for burger flippers.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
From where I stand, I see incomes going down, and living standards rising. Somethin's gotta give.

People have been making up the difference with CREDIT. This cannot last. When the latest iGadget comes out, they whip out the credit card and figure they look cool like their friends. Yes, yes I know they all pay them off every month...ahem...but when you are bogged down with debt, it is hard to save a nickel. And when you are depressed about your income, that new iGadget makes you feel good about yourself, for a little while.

Thus is laid the trap, and it becomes impossible to save anything.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:07 PM

319 posts, read 303,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
From where I stand, I see incomes going down, and living standards rising. Somethin's gotta give.

People have been making up the difference with CREDIT. This cannot last. When the latest iGadget comes out, they whip out the credit card and figure they look cool like their friends. Yes, yes I know they all pay them off every month...ahem...but when you are bogged down with debt, it is hard to save a nickel. And when you are depressed about your income, that new iGadget makes you feel good about yourself, for a little while.

Thus is laid the trap, and it becomes impossible to save anything.
I'm not feeling that effect. When I spend money i feel awful and make up for it by saving more. When I save I feel even better about myself Because I'm doing better than poor people.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Maybe if you don't like the "means" that you have to work with, it would be a good idea to look at how you can improve yourself to increase your standard of living.

I don't see how complaining about rich people will make anyone's life better. However, spending less that what you bring in, saving, investing, looking for ways to improve yourself--how could that be bad?

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to afford a $750,000 house. But you could go in with relatives or friends and buy a house you can afford. Then fix it up nights and weekends and sell it in a few years and buy a nicer one. But that would involve actual work and staying on a careful budget and--Oh, God--living within your means. Probably too hard. Easier to complain.

BZZT!

Very difficult to pull that off for burger flippers.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Very risky - they could renege on the deal. Better to just have roomies.

It is very difficult in the American culture for unrelated individuals to successfully coordinate and execute a large financial undertaking (esp business or real estate) unless EACH individual is on sound financial and ethical footing.

Many immigrants come here from cultures where kin, clan, and honor make these deals work - not so for out native-born folk.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
What about medical school? Technically most doctors got there only by "living beyond their means" for a time. It is virtually impossible to work your way through it.
Yes, but if they work for a federally qualified clinic for 5 years they can have their med school debt forgiven. They won't be billing out a million bucks a year in private practice, but their med school will be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance