Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Too late. I finished undergrad with zero debt. What do I do now?

My parents bought cars in cash. Should I tell them to go take out a loan against their cars that they own outright?

Seems rather silly to say those things must be leveraged.

sha na na na, sha na na na na

dip dip dip dip dip dip dip dip

mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm

get a job

sha na na na sha na na na na
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced that cars from 10 years ago are that much less safe than today's. But also, the number of electronic gadgets has gone up considerably - and more gadgets means more failure points. Especially when something as simple as using the brake requires electronics.

Or there would be programs to allow a person to work their way up...
You'd be surprised how much safer cars are today than 10 years ago. Crash test results of recently produced cars are way superior, and the modern safety features add to the advantage. Some state of the art vehicles even have anti-collision mechanisms.

Electronic gadgets have nothing to do with powertrain performance. If the gadgets fail, the rest of the car cruise along.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I'm an adult in my mid-20s and am just about fully independent and comfortably set in a career. Perfect time to learn about Dave Ramsey's show/podcasts, as I learned about a few months ago. My perspective on personal finance has changed so much, it's great!

Now, I absolutely give zero cares about what I drive, how nice of an apartment I have (or whether I choose to live with my parents as opposed to renting an apartment), vacations or anything like that. I get on Facebook and I laugh at how broke all my friends are. Funny thing is, they don't realize they're broke. I saw a newlywed couple on Facebook today post a status about how thankful they were to God for helping them get approved for a home loan. Yea, that's sure something to brag about -- having to borrow money because you don't have enough of it!
Well, good for you and Dave Ramsey! When that formerly "newly wed" couple are tending to their house, their kids, each other, and all the other things that make a happy life, you can be cuddling up with your bank account, worrying about hyperinflation gobbling it up, and watching old movies on Saturday night with mom and dad.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
You'd be surprised how much safer cars are today than 10 years ago. Crash test results of recently produced cars are way superior, and the modern safety features add to the advantage. Some state of the art vehicles even have anti-collision mechanisms.

Electronic gadgets have nothing to do with powertrain performance. If the gadgets fail, the rest of the car cruise along.
Absolutely true. Safety features have been accelerating rapidly in the last decade. My 2012, the same make and model as my 2008, had significant safety upgrades, most notably electronic stability control and tire pressure monitoring. The 2015 make and model of my car has at least two significant safety upgrades: backup camera standard and accident avoidance system optional.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
sha na na na, sha na na na na

dip dip dip dip dip dip dip dip

mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm

get a job

sha na na na sha na na na na
My graduation was in 2008 and I'm in grad school. My TA-ship is nominally 20 hours a week but it varies a lot. And I still have zero debt.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post

Absolutely not. I saw a really scary video on YouTube not too long ago where someone dinked with the electronics in a 2010 Prius and disabled the brakes completely. The driver was unable to brake at all.

I am still not convinced that today's vehicles are safer. It seems to me you are merely trading one type of risk for a different type of risk.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
In 2012 I went in a ditch trying not to hit a deer.........what almost killed me and left me with a permanent disability was the seat belt/air bag.

I now have a partially paralyzed diaphragm.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In 2012 I went in a ditch trying not to hit a deer.........what almost killed me and left me with a permanent disability was the seat belt/air bag.

I now have a partially paralyzed diaphragm.
You'd have to go back to really old cars in order to not have seat belts or air bags, and I think the studies are enough to show that if they are used properly, seat belts reduce overall risk. But the more modern stuff has not had time to have such a large array of detailed studies. One or two studies, sure, but not replicated independently much - particularly when it comes to electronics which are not crash tested.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
My graduation was in 2008 and I'm in grad school. My TA-ship is nominally 20 hours a week but it varies a lot. And I still have zero debt.

Yeah, I noticed a long time ago that half-time graduate assistantships actually paid enough to live (frugally) on. I was an undergrad TA - we actually had a handful in comp sci due to high undergrad enrollment in intro courses required of business and engineering majors - and we were paid hourly, a few cents above minimum wage. A grad assistantship paid enough for an unattached single to rent their own apartment, something financially out of reach for undergrads.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. I saw a really scary video on YouTube not too long ago where someone dinked with the electronics in a 2010 Prius and disabled the brakes completely. The driver was unable to brake at all.

I am still not convinced that today's vehicles are safer. It seems to me you are merely trading one type of risk for a different type of risk.
These guys have science on their side Death rates fall as vehicles improve

Newer cars are safer, and although I don't have a endless supply of money, I do feel alright spending surplus income paying a car note with a stupidly low interest rate.

It all changes when you've got kids. I can't keep them safe from everything, but $300 a month to shield them from some of the hazards out there when I won't miss the money is a no-brainer (every other savings need is being fully funded).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance