Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 AM

615 posts, read 726,274 times

Advertisements

I'm an adult in my mid-20s and am just about fully independent and comfortably set in a career. Perfect time to learn about Dave Ramsey's show/podcasts, as I learned about a few months ago. My perspective on personal finance has changed so much, it's great!

Now, I absolutely give zero cares about what I drive, how nice of an apartment I have (or whether I choose to live with my parents as opposed to renting an apartment), vacations or anything like that. I get on Facebook and I laugh at how broke all my friends are. Funny thing is, they don't realize they're broke. I saw a newlywed couple on Facebook today post a status about how thankful they were to God for helping them get approved for a home loan. Yea, that's sure something to brag about -- having to borrow money because you don't have enough of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times
You can do a lot better then DR.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:51 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Debt is just a tool like a shovel. Dave Ramsey wasn't capable of responsibly using a shovel and hit himself over the head with it repeatedly. That doesn't mean your married friends buying their house while you live with your parents are or are not capable of responsibly using debt.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:03 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
If you think Dave is great, you oughta try Mr Money Moustache.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
I listen to Dave Ramsey a lot, I find his radio show to be inspiring although I paid my house off over 10 years ago and have not had a credit card for almost 20 years.

Most people need a mortgage to buy a house so that is not a big issue, I work for a major retailer that offers a leasing program for big ticket items for our "credit challenged" customers. This program is something I know good and well Dave Ramsey would advise people to avoid so I try to talk them into using our layaway but most broke people believe they need that 60" flat screen TV today, so they put themselves in a position where they will continue to live hand to mouth.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
I used to really be a "subscriber" to the DR philosophies, but now I have a credit card. His message still has the very important point that people tend to spend themselves into trouble without realizing it.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,740 times
That's great you've become interested in personal finance. Not everyone here likes him for various reasons, but I don't think he's a bad source for when you're just starting out and learning the basics.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 AM

615 posts, read 726,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Debt is just a tool like a shovel. Dave Ramsey wasn't capable of responsibly using a shovel and hit himself over the head with it repeatedly. That doesn't mean your married friends buying their house while you live with your parents are or are not capable of responsibly using debt.
The math doesn't add up on "using" debt to finance one's living. A car is not an investment (unless it's some classic or rare vehicle), so how would it ever make sense to "finance" a car, for example?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
That's great you've become interested in personal finance. Not everyone here likes him for various reasons, but I don't think he's a bad source for when you're just starting out and learning the basics.
Amen, DR is a good place to start, basic common sense, & one can expand from there, we all have different start points. His word isn't gospel & hear out other experts too.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
The math doesn't add up on "using" debt to finance one's living. A car is not an investment, so how would it ever make sense to "finance" a car, for example?
If you can get 0.9% on the loan and put the money in CD's and money markets earning an average of 1.5% or 2%, you can technically come out ahead.

Also if you have a mortgage at 3.75%, and you get offered car financing at 0.9%, why would you not take it and pay down your mortgage? Seems you're leaving free interest savings on the table.

This assumes of course you would have the same car and the same insurance either way.

I used to be very anti-car-loan too, but I had to admit that sometimes paying cash is less sensible.

What I think is bad, is a car loan to buy a car you couldn't otherwise pay for, unless there is really no other choice even after considering alternatives such as transit and moving near work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance