Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You've never owned a house if you think a lot of houses cost less then renting.

In the first years of a mortgage, many homeowners enjoy deductibility hence tax savings. As the mortgage ages, the tax savings disappear but the fixed mortgage payment lags way behind ever-rising rent.

The responsible homeowner dedicates these monthly cost savings toward building a reserve for the inevitable costs of repairs and replacements, so that eventual replacements (like roof and furnace) are already prepared for. Roofs and furnaces do not fail overnight; there is time to prepare for them.

Last edited by freemkt; 03-01-2015 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Is there really no morality at all anymore in the real estate dealing? By saying the bank is taking most of the risk, you are (implicitly) saying that if the home dropped dramatically in value you would just send the keys back to the bank and default on your obligation.

Has the situation become such that ethically conscious investors cannot profit?

If so, then in a sense you are not profiting - rather, you are stealing the bank's money. Not legally, but morally.
I think a lot of morality has jumped out the window. Everyone schemes, buyers and sellers make tactics to beat each other up so nobody takes advantage of them. People drop deals on idiotic reasons on a whim, pissing and moaning over a 1,000 dollar bump on a 300,000 dollar deal. All because they don't want to let the other party "get one over on them"

Plenty of homeowners played the HELOC ponzi in the 2000-2007 housing market. I don't see why investors wouldn't take their money and reinvest it. its not my type of investing but it doesn't mean it isn't done.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Median mortgage payment is at most times lower than median rent payment. For that lower payment, homeowners also enjoy fixed P&I (try getting rent payments fixed for 30 years) and principal reduction, plus home appreciation.

The cost savings of never having to pay (ever-rising) rent, plus principal reduction, plus value appreciation, pretty much capture the net worth differential of homeowners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In the first years of a mortgage, many homeowners enjoy deductibility hence tax savings. As the mortgage ages, the tax savings disappear but the fixed mortgage payment lags way behind ever-rising rent.

The responsible homeowner dedicates these monthly cost savings toward building a reserve for the inevitable costs of repairs and replacements, so that eventual replacements (like roof and furnace are already prepared for). Roofs and furnaces do not fail overnight; there is time to prepare for them.

Yes and a homeowner has to do ALL the repairs, re roofing, appliances or anything else that breaks in the house. There is a lot more to a house than just making the monthly payment. You're giving the average homeowner too much credit. Lots tap into the equity for big item repairs.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
The math doesn't add up on "using" debt to finance one's living. A car is not an investment (unless it's some classic or rare vehicle), so how would it ever make sense to "finance" a car, for example?
No vehicle is a investment. Maybe a speculation type market. Some collectors like to think investment because it pumps smoke up their ass about how much it's worth and they can sell a piece of metal for to another car collector to tell all his friends how much he paid for it. It's penis measuring at its finest

Ok my mom bought a car with zero % financing on a 5 year loan. It was a leftover model with a 4k discount.
In that 5 years the 20,000 dollars she would of paid cash upfront (using Daves advice) for her car was instead invested in a money market at 8%. ( at that time) Consider the compounded interest over 5 years. She would of had to pay for the car regardless. But she would not of made as much over 5 years if she started resaving that 20k.
Like I said Daves advice is great to get out of debt or a starting point. But he is not the end all be all in investing. Mist people I meet that are DR followers simpky spout the same thing he is saying, not ine original thought or investments idea. Just the absolutely no debt mantra.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
I checked out Dave Ramsey just now and read about the credit card section. According to the website, "Responsible use of a credit card does not exist. Credit card debt is a major problem in America. There is no positive side to credit card use. You will spend more if you use credit cards..."

Really? Responsible use of a credit card does not exist? DR baby steps might be good way to start and more of a common sense. However, I do not agree with his credit card theory.

If you can pay off your credit card's balance monthly, what is wrong with using credit cards? I got rewards points, cash back, some insurance/warranty, and even protection against fraud.

Anyway, I am not his fan either
I love my business credit card.......I pay it off monthly......it keeps track of my expenses..........I got $900 back last year.......this year it will be more.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No vehicle is a investment. Maybe a speculation type market. Some collectors like to think investment because it pumps smoke up their ass about how much it's worth and they can sell a piece of metal for to another car collector to tell all his friends how much he paid for it. It's penis measuring at its finest

Ok my mom bought a car with zero % financing on a 5 year loan. It was a leftover model with a 4k discount.
In that 5 years the 20,000 dollars she would of paid cash upfront (using Daves advice) for her car was instead invested in a money market at 8%. ( at that time) Consider the compounded interest over 5 years. She would of had to pay for the car regardless. But she would not of made as much over 5 years if she started resaving that 20k.
Like I said Daves advice is great to get out of debt or a starting point. But he is not the end all be all in investing. Mist people I meet that are DR followers simpky spout the same thing he is saying, not ine original thought or investments idea. Just the absolutely no debt mantra.
My vehicles are......they are tools........that is why they depreciate for tax proposes.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I love my business credit card.......I pay it off monthly......it keeps track of my expenses..........I got $900 back last year.......this year it will be more.

Gotta be one of the best inventions ever.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Sometimes I wonder about the people who call Dave. Most of the callers make good money, and yet most of them ask questions that take just common sense to answer. The only thing I can think of, it doesn't take much common sense to make reasonable living these days. It's amazing what " fully independent and comfortably set in a career" people calling Dave don't know, paupers rarely called Dave when I listened. I don't think his advice has much value for the people having some common sense in them. Every Dave' advice beyond common sense is questionable, wishful, unrealistic (especially for the average people down the food chain).

Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM

520 posts, read 601,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
If you think Dave is great, you oughta try Mr Money Moustache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Second. (Or maybe third, haven't read all the way through).
I third this. Also, check out the "Mustachians on Facebook" group.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 PM

520 posts, read 601,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
I checked out Dave Ramsey just now and read about the credit card section. According to the website, "Responsible use of a credit card does not exist. Credit card debt is a major problem in America. There is no positive side to credit card use. You will spend more if you use credit cards..."

Really? Responsible use of a credit card does not exist? DR baby steps might be good way to start and more of a common sense. However, I do not agree with his credit card theory.

If you can pay off your credit card's balance monthly, what is wrong with using credit cards? I got rewards points, cash back, some insurance/warranty, and even protection against fraud.

Anyway, I am not his fan either
I'm not a fan of his either, and it was hearing from my cousin, who follows his advice, about his views on credit cards that first turned me off. I agree, he's good for a specific type of person in debt, but that's it.

My credit card is just too valuable for all the perks and protection it offers, such as the ones you've stated above. Plus, I pay it off in full each month.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance