Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 12:23 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Who in their right mind answers questions like these? Whose business is it how much you make and how old you are?
Lots of people answer the questions and are of sound mind. What do you think is the harm in answering the questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 01:28 PM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Who in their right mind answers questions like these? Whose business is it how much you make and how old you are?
obviously if you are here reading the answers you care to know

Old 12-08-2023, 02:57 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,667,654 times
Quote:
Now that you know, what are you going to too with the information?

Old 12-08-2023, 03:02 PM

but these are many of the same people who have no problem telling strangers on line about their marital issues or illicit affairs . , but heaven forbid someone knows how much they make or have

Old 12-08-2023, 10:58 PM

239 posts, read 108,042 times
Quote:
Thank Goodness most folks have enough class to just pass by threads they dislike. Otherwise I cannot imagine how time consuming it would be to filter thru all those spam posts of complainers. To criticize a threads very existence where it's evidenced people enjoy the thread is counterproductive imho

Last edited by TruckeeTami; 12-08-2023 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-09-2023, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Thank Goodness most folks have enough class to just pass by threads they dislike. Otherwise I cannot imagine how time consuming it would be to filter thru all those spam posts of complainers. To criticize a threads very existence where it's evidenced people enjoy the thread is counterproductive imho
there are other forums out there like a popular one sponsored by the creator of firecalc , a very popular retirement calculator.

actual financial situations and amounts are discussed all the time as it is easier to toss around actual situations .

here is a whole other thing .

people are at that other forum for one thing . to learn more and to make the most of what they have .

here it is a mix of people who are in the retirement forum for different reasons .some have no interest in anything financial

yet they will visit financial discussions just to comment how it doesn’t apply to them .

would never think of going into discussions about their cats or dogs since i have no interest but yet they go in anyway into financial discussions or their subjects they have no interest in

you also have the have and the have nots facing off .. when amounts are discussed you have those accusing the other side of bragging or insult them .

or you have the reverse where those who have look down on those who weren’t successful financially and blame them for their situation.

it is a totally different world here then other forums where the common goal is to learn and do better so amounts are freely discussed ..

you get comments here like the one above which really has no place in a discussion like this in the first place if they have no interest

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-09-2023 at 03:58 AM..

Old 12-09-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are other forums out there like a popular one sponsored by the creator of firecalc , a very popular retirement calculator.

actual financial situations and amounts are discussed all the time as it is easier to toss around actual situations .

here is a whole other thing .

people are at that other forum for one thing . to learn more and to make the most of what they have .

here it is a mix of people who are in the retirement forum for different reasons .some have no interest in anything financial

yet they will visit financial discussions just to comment how it doesn’t apply to them .

would never think of going into discussions about their cats or dogs since i have no interest but yet they go in anyway into financial discussions or their subjects they have no interest in

you also have the have and the have nots facing off .. when amounts are discussed you have those accusing the other side of bragging or insult them .

or you have the reverse where those who have look down on those who weren’t successful financially and blame them for their situation.

it is a totally different world here then other forums where the common goal is to learn and do better so amounts are freely discussed ..

you get comments here like the one above which really has no place in a discussion like this in the first place if they have no interes
t
Your last sentence I bolded is spot on. The inclusion of your synopsis of personal finance discussed in various forums is appreciated. I don't even pay attention to what forum I am in when I post so will be more aware and prepared.

For the record, it's called PERSONAL finance. So yes, people will be disclosing personal finances in the personal finance forum. We are both baffled as to what the protest is about so that was not directed to you.

Regarding the poor complaining about the wealthier bragging, yes they brag sometimes but who cares. Use it as fuel. I started having the mindset, if you can't beat them, join them. Never joined them, never will, but trying sure benefitted us!

Braggerts and the non-braggerts inspired me to start contributing to my newly introduced work 401k at age 48, Watching that tiny amount grow, it became real and exciting. A FUN game instead of the stress burden that weighed us down. Though I expected negativity, the braggerts and others cheered me on. All we had to our name is property we bought for 50k, built a partially built home, yet had no $ to continue. It sat there.
I couldn't get a higher paying job. COVID hit, I was laid off. Took that year of extra pay- stimulus checks, unemployment checks, to get certifications. Re-word my experience. No one called. Got a job for min wage but this had better benefits and a pension. Crappy hours and constant commute then it broke.

Fast froward from age 47 to now at55. In 7 yrs time:
Commute cut in half
35% higher income for me, 15% higher for hubby
Saving $700 a month for our elderly yrs
Contributing $6500 a yr to IRA. (Balance is 63K. S&P doubles every 10 yrs)

Retirement picture was:
Work 16 hrs a wk in retirement at min wage from ages 67-75.
Sell the house at age 75.
Downsize to living in an RV in a RV Park

Retirement picture now:
Work 16 hrs a week in retirement from ages 67-72. Mortgage was paid off by age 62

At age 72, sell the house and downsize to a tiny/small home not far from amneties
Age 75, start taking $1100-$1300 a month out of the IRA

Old 12-09-2023, 03:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,667,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Your last sentence I bolded is spot on. The inclusion of your synopsis of personal finance discussed in various forums is appreciated. I don't even pay attention to what forum I am in when I post so will be more aware and prepared.

For the record, it's called PERSONAL finance. So yes, people will be disclosing personal finances in the personal finance forum. We are both baffled as to what the protest is about so that was not directed to you.

Regarding the poor complaining about the wealthier bragging, yes they brag sometimes but who cares. Use it as fuel. I started having the mindset, if you can't beat them, join them. Never joined them, never will, but trying sure benefitted us!

Braggerts and the non-braggerts inspired me to start contributing to my newly introduced work 401k at age 48, Watching that tiny amount grow, it became real and exciting. A FUN game instead of the stress burden that weighed us down. Though I expected negativity, the braggerts and others cheered me on. All we had to our name is property we bought for 50k, built a partially built home, yet had no $ to continue. It sat there.
I couldn't get a higher paying job. COVID hit, I was laid off. Took that year of extra pay- stimulus checks, unemployment checks, to get certifications. Re-word my experience. No one called. Got a job for min wage but this had better benefits and a pension. Crappy hours and constant commute then it broke.

Fast froward from age 47 to now at55. In 7 yrs time:
Commute cut in half
35% higher income for me, 15% higher for hubby
Saving $700 a month for our elderly yrs
Contributing $6500 a yr to IRA. (Balance is 63K. S&P doubles every 10 yrs)

Retirement picture was:
Work 16 hrs a wk in retirement at min wage from ages 67-75.
Sell the house at age 75.
Downsize to living in an RV in a RV Park

Retirement picture now:
Work 16 hrs a week in retirement from ages 67-72. Mortgage was paid off by age 62

At age 72, sell the house and downsize to a tiny/small home not far from amneties
Age 75, start taking $1100-$1300 a month out of the IRA
You will be required to take RMD by age 73.

Old 12-09-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You will be required to take RMD by age 73.
Yes, true for most, thanks. I am 55 so the RMD start date for me is 75 yrs old. Technically 75.5 yrs old since my B-Day is in Sept

Old 12-09-2023, 05:12 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,299,262 times
Quote:
“People who know how much they're worth aren't usually worth that much.”

Nelson Hunt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance