Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I always fin it astonishing that people without kids here and in general want to tell how families with kids have to behave. Something they have no idea about and 0 understanding. Plus you are as unpatriotic as can be by deplulating our nation. So please consider your own deficiencies first and work on them.
I don't want to tell people with kids what to do. But I do object to people saying they can't save because they had kids, as if this was inevitable. Having kids IS a choice, not a requirement, and it's annoying to hear people talk about kids as if choice never entered into the equation.

And I'm definitely not advocating "deplulating" our nation, whatever that is. Talk about working on deficiencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umropantelija View Post
The list goes on, high housing cost derived by giant credit and banking system, debt based economy and culture in general, high cost of education etc...The system is such that it takes away from middle and low class and feeds the already wealthy which in turn allows them to perpetuate the system. This is how people end up with little or no savings. It gets knocked out of their pockets. It is a symptom of something much bigger that is wrong that we'll have to fix probably soon.
The problem with this "the system's at fault" kind of thinking is that ultimately, we're the only ones who can rebel against it. And rebelling takes some thinking, some time, energy, self discipline, and focus--it means moving out of our current comfort zone. The elites who set up this system are pretty sure we are too lazy / unmotivated to do anything about it except complain (which does nothing) and wait around for some savior figure to magically come in and fix it all for us with little or no effort on our part (not gonna happen).

Old 02-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
When it comes to the homeless... most of them can't hold down jobs even if placed in a job directly.

If you've ever volunteered with a homeless charity, you see why. I'd estimate somewhere between 2/3rds and 3/4ths of the homeless cannot function in current society even with the best rehab. They're just not "with it" mentally, they might last a few weeks or even a few months in a job, but will spaz out at some point and lose it. If they could hack "normal" working/middle class living, they'd be doing it.

There are about 20-30% of them that just need help and can be rehabilitated to re-enter society, but because our help for the homeless is so inadequate, we don't help them soon enough and we lose them - it only takes about 6 months on the street to lose your marbles. Few of us have the mental wherewithal to remain sane by modern standards given what the homeless deal with.

We will someday either have to commit to taking care of them of just tolerate that they will populate the streets.
Yep, good assessment.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It may be fair, but if it also means there are people in this country unable to get a job or a place to live because of something on their credit report, what is being fair to a landlord going to cost us in the long run? We're already seeing the fallout of people unable to get jobs because of something that happened to them that may not have been anything they could help, like losing their job or losing their house. And the fallout is going to affect us as a nation far more than the so-called protection a landlord gets just because he runs a credit report.
Don't be so sure. If you make it so that being a landlord isn't profitable, you'll get fewer landlords and units sitting vacant because the landlords don't think the hassle is worth it. Just see what's happened in very pro-tenant San Francisco:

Growing number of San Francisco landlords not renting | KALW

Old 02-22-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You did not refute the previous poster's "nonsense". The poster did not say "the middle class own most of the equities". Instead, they said "plenty of the middle class people own equities".

While my equities may not be a significant percentage of all equities, they are a significant amount of money to me. As such, they certainly have provided a nice boost to my bottom line. I am not at all unusual.
Bingo. I'm not in the top 10% but the same applies to me.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
It's a pretty big myth that teachers make out like homeless First, they can generally start their career after four or five years of college at 22-23. (My sister did it in 3.5 and started at 21). After 30-35 years they get a generous pension and oftentimes other benefits such as medical, etc.

They also are on the calendar about 180 days a year and that would include I think in service, etc.

The profession also doesn't have as rigorous of entry requirements as, say, a Medical Dr., CPA, etc...I took the CBEST test in California so I could substitute teach while going to graduate school. I think something like 60% of the people who took it failed it. I think I missed one and I'm not a genius. It's at about the eighth grade level.

Before I get a lot of "hate" posts, it's a very honorable profession, but hardly one in which the market dictates that teachers should be paid a lot more than they are making. In CA, one can earn 90-100k after a number of years...plus, one can go higher and become an administrator, etc....no limit, really....

Private schools can recruit good teachers and pay them less than public school teachers so the market salary for teachers isn't higher (but is actually lower) than what most are being paid now.
I agree. I took the CBEST years ago and it is an easy test. Anyone admitted to college should be able to pass it easily.

I don't envy teachers with all the B.S. they have to deal with, but the "I'm a teacher, I'm so poor" stuff is a little melodramatic.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
in the real high cost areas THERE ARE NO CHEAP PARTS OF TOWN FOR THE MOST PART . our poor areas like greenpoint , williamsburg , red hook are all big bucks now .

Yes, this.^^

The whole Bay Area is super expensive, even boring suburbs an hour's drive from San Francisco or Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance