Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

I know of people that is in their 60's and have no savings and will have too work the rest of their life.

Short on savings? You're not alone.

Twenty-eight percent of Americans have nothing in their savings accounts and another 21 percent don't even have a savings account, according to a new survey from GOBankingRates.
49% of Americans Have Nothing Saved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 12:43 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,900 times
I get financial security, I don't get the obsession with retirement.

My great grand father worked until he died, so did my grandfather, and I hope the same happens with my dad decades from now.

We spend decades building the skills we need to work, and then our work defines us for decades more. Retirement isn't for everyone, some of us enjoy the challenges of work, the feeling of production in excess of consumption, of being part of something greater.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

My great grand father worked until he died, so did my grandfather, and I hope the same happens with my dad decades from now.

We spend decades building the skills we need to work, and then our work defines us for decades more. Retirement isn't for everyone, some of us enjoy the challenges of work, the feeling of production in excess of consumption, of being part of something greater.
A lot of people aren't able to work until they die, even if they want to. This is not your grandfather's economy.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:

You're forgetting to account for the fact that people are living much longer now and yet still getting disabilities as they age at virtually the same rate as before. The end result is that much of the population spends many of their elder years unable to work. You should not rely on being active and productive until your last day and then just suddenly keeling over and dropping dead!

Old 10-08-2015, 05:44 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You're forgetting to account for the fact that people are living much longer now and yet still getting disabilities as they age at virtually the same rate as before. The end result is that much of the population spends many of their elder years unable to work. You should not rely on being active and productive until your last day and then just suddenly keeling over and dropping dead!
If you do not partake in the effort of prolonging one's life by modern sciences (such as going to the doctor and taking preventative medications), would this not set you for the most part back to the natural course of living out the years one would have had without the modern conveniences?

The comment here about being not able to work is a very true one. It is always a wise investment to set aside something in case society has shut you out of the work force. It is my fear that some people may find themselves learning a hard lesson that society cannot always be depended on for a job. Working is something that can always be done like doing side jobs or operating one's own business, but these things might not (probably wouldn't) be viable sources of income. I personally do not plan on retiring but would like to get out of this rat race on my own money and work for myself--if the money comes in, great. If not I have something to fall back on.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:45 AM

296 posts, read 319,411 times
Quote:

Go ahead worker bee, work till you die. When I'm 60, I plan to be on the golf course.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:04 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:

I hope you are defined by more than your professional work because at anytime it could be gone. I personally work and save for the option to walk away when/if I want to

Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Should really say "49% of the 1000 people we called don't have savings"

I do not believe that is a large enough sample size to be completely accurate here.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,383 times
I don't make enough to save $10k but I do manage to save over $1k for emergency use. I don't have a savings account anymore because the interest earned is so little, and I keep myself on a strict budget, so the 'savings' remain inone account. The interest rate for a cd for that amount is also very little unless I locked it at a 10 year rate. Nah... what's the point of an emergency fund if you can't use it without penalty during an emergency?

I agree that most Americans don't have anything saved, having a savings account or not. Almost all of my coworkers and friends don't set any money aside to save. They do not live frugally and spend as they please while complaining how they are in debt. Most are also around my age too. Again, not surprised by the results of this survey. As long as the current society trend follows "spend now or you'll regret it later", any money they do manage to save will be gone as quickly as it came. The temptation to buy is just too alluring.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:

I get what you're saying, but I definitely think people need to be encouraged to save for retirement. Money gives you options: when you're young and working, and when your aging and your health may be declining.

I'm seeing 3 of my 4 parents (steps included) deal with physical aging issues that affect their jobs. They are still working, but their options are limited due to these issues (primarily vision, arthritis and heart problems.) It sounds like it's pretty tough to change careers in your 60s and have some health problems. I'm certain all 3 would retire if they'd planned for it.

In addition, as their children have grown up, moved out of state, and have had children, I know they would also like more time to spend with their grandkids. Unfortunately, I come from a family of terrible planners, financial planning included.

In fact, when my husband and I bought a new house, we bought with the expectation that we will probably be supporting at least one parent in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance