Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,900 times

Advertisements

Again I get financial freedom, and I will be in a position to retire at 49, but I doubt I will stop working.

Work does not have to be a chore, it can be fun and you can absolutely be defined by your work without being a "workerbee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Again I get financial freedom, and I will be in a position to retire at 49, but I doubt I will stop working.

Work does not have to be a chore, it can be fun and you can absolutely be defined by your work without being a "workerbee".
Bottom line is I want to have a choice...saving money for the future will give me that choice. Kind of like you...

If I save nothing...I have no choice.

It really depends on how you define retirement.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times
I find this issue as a failure of our public education system to teach consumer/personal finance, marketing schemes to promote consumerism, credit/deficit spending, and the individual's failure in continuing to educate themselves later in life.

There's a lot of people/businesses that make a lot of money off the fact that people have nothing saved. Such individuals are financially inefficient and often pay 8X more in interest rates, are not invested in the stock market, and don't have the access that others enjoy. The dirty secret is that the wealthy I've become, the less money I spend. I'm offered all sorts of discounts that aren't available to most people, I have access to boats, horses, and even a private plane…none of which are my own, but they belong to friends of mine. It's such a backwards system and something needs to be done about it.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:31 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I find this issue as a failure of our public education system to teach consumer/personal finance, marketing schemes to promote consumerism, credit/deficit spending, and the individual's failure in continuing to educate themselves later in life.
I find it to be a complete failure by parents first

Old 10-08-2015, 11:49 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,095 times
After all expenses my wife and I are left over with $4,000 a month and I still panic about the future and having enough. I'm only 30 and have an emergency fund and a home with about $55k worth of equity in it. I have no idea how people sleep at night living paycheck to paycheck and nothing in savings to fall back on. We can pay all our bills on either my wife's or my salary. With one of us unemployed we'd actually be banking $2000 every month, with our emergency fund we could probably float for over a year after the unemployment ran out. We wouldn't be saving for retirement during that time, or going on vacations. But we'd still be able to eat out once a month.

We've become extremely frugal. I'm looking to sell my used car so I don't have a car payment. Our home is only like 2.6x our annual income and still like $150k below what we were approved for by the bank and I still look at it sometimes and wonder if I spent too much. (got it well under the market, seller paid closing costs, and we got instant extra equity)

Even with all that I still panic and lose sleep at night thinking I could lose everything in the blink of an eye. Oh and I have a 4 year Nursing degree I can always fall back on... still panic

If I had no savings and lived paycheck to paycheck I'd seriously have to live in one of those tiny houses or a cabin in the middle of nowhere for like $400 a month till I built up a solid 12 month nest egg or something.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I get financial security, I don't get the obsession with retirement.

My great grand father worked until he died, so did my grandfather, and I hope the same happens with my dad decades from now.

We spend decades building the skills we need to work, and then our work defines us for decades more. Retirement isn't for everyone, some of us enjoy the challenges of work, the feeling of production in excess of consumption, of being part of something greater.
Unfortunately, business in the U.S. thinks negatively about older people now and it will only get worse decades from now. I, too, would like to work into retirement age but I doubt that happens. You'd need to own your business to call the shots.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I know of people that is in their 60's and have no savings and will have too work the rest of their life.

Short on savings? You're not alone.

Twenty-eight percent of Americans have nothing in their savings accounts and another 21 percent don't even have a savings account, according to a new survey from GOBankingRates.
49% of Americans Have Nothing Saved
It specifically asked about savings accounts. Not exactly a great proxy for "saving".

What if you have $500 in savings and 15k in checking?

Quote:
“How much money do you have saved in your savings account?”
Was the question that was asked.

I'd fall in the 5% that said between 5-9.9k, but I have another couple grand in checking, have a lot in HSA accounts, have 35-40k in contributions to a Roth IRA, have much more than that in brokerage accounts.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:59 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I find it to be a complete failure by parents first
I agree with this. I hold the parents responsible for all facets of child development of which education is one.

Schools are just a tool to assist in education. The responsibility lies with the parents. Carrying this a step further, I think of all children as home-schooled, some send their children to schools during the day but the parents are the ones that ensure they obtain the overall education that is needed.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:14 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It specifically asked about savings accounts. Not exactly a great proxy for "saving".

What if you have $500 in savings and 15k in checking?

Was the question that was asked.

I'd fall in the 5% that said between 5-9.9k, but I have another couple grand in checking, have a lot in HSA accounts, have 35-40k in contributions to a Roth IRA, have much more than that in brokerage accounts.
I agree that the question is not a great one the way it is worded. We haven't had a savings account in years. If we need more cash then what is in our checking accounts, we just transfer some from one of our brokerage accounts.

But in answering the question, we would appear to be among the people who have no cash reserves.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Low interest rates put squat in the pockets of the 35% who rent.
I looked all OVER my bank statement, but can't find where my bank gives me more interest on my money because I own instead of rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance