Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 05:15 PM

22,018 posts, read 25,380,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Modern medicine keeps people alive but often chronically ill at great expense. If you really want to live longer AND healthier, read the book The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner. The short version:

--Skip the diet of processed foods that are full of sugar, salt, and saturated animal fat
--Eat natural foods with minimal processing.
--Eat meat & poultry sparingly.
--Consume alcohol sparingly or not at all. Skip smoking & other drugs.
--Live a community oriented lifestyle.
--Exercise regularly, but not as a separate activity. Set up your life so that you can walk or bike to run errands instead of taking the car (whenever possible). Instead of using the automatic garage door opener, open the garage door manually, yourself, etc.
--It helps if you have a regular religious/spiritual practice and/or greater purpose in life.

The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest: Dan Buettner: 9781426207556: Amazon.com: Books

People who live the above lifestyle tend to live about 12 years longer than the average American AND they have fewer chronic long term illnesses...I.E. People who live this way are more likely to simply die of old age.

^^Sounds reasonable to me. If everyone thought like this, we wouldn't have nearly so many broke people.
Meh, it's just a bunch of junk science and misinformation although just grossly it's not all that bad advice. Just for example, using the average life expectancy of 30 to mean anything. Yeah, it was 30 but it was 30 because a huge number of people died before 5. In paleolithic times if you made it to 15 you had an additional 39 years of life expectancy, 15+39=54. That's also about the age we start having problems today. So yeah, our bodies pretty much were designed for 3/4ths of a century of pounding. The main issue is that people didn't survive childhood. It would be more accurate to say that our bodies aren't designed to survive childhood than draw a fake conclusion that's not based on evidence. Walkable communities. Did you know Loma Linda is a "Blue Zone" community? Yeah. For those that don't know it's in exurban LA and about as car-dependent as it gets. Again, the actual evidence doesn't support his conclusions but he draws them anyway. The closest thing to a grocery store in the entire city is a WalMart. Agenda>Facts. Again, nothing particularly wrong with the agenda but it's unsubstantiated claims and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think far to much effort is spent by most folks trying to see what others have rather than concentrating on their own goals and plans . it is almost like people love reading about those with less then they have hense all these skewed articles you see dug up and posted on forums . .
Amen.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:37 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,561,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't see the agenda to be pushed it's not uncommon for Americans to live paycheck to paycheck. I've worked with an provided coach for far more people than the average person and the amount of people in poor financial shape is staggering and it's usually not because they don't earn enough money

How much do you consider earning enough money?

Old 10-10-2015, 05:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,250,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I get financial security, I don't get the obsession with retirement.
It portends a bleak financial future for America.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
50k pretax with a family and paying thousands for healthcare does not leave much to live on anywhere even with a slight subsidy .. a family of 3 after subsidy would pay almost 5k a year plus up to 13k out of pocket and that does not include dental or vision . .
Just ran that through Covered California. It would actually cost $102/mo. Welfare picks up most of the cost for a family of three earning $50k/yr. It'll be different in a state that didn't expand Medicare as the kid would be covered under Medicare free of cost here in California. There's other more expensive options. The "gold/platinum" insurance would be around $500-600/mo, but those have slightly lower out of pocket maximums. The major difference is they pay in earlier. They're more prepaid medical care with copays than insurance. Insurance has always made more sense to me as I can just self-insure for that gap between where real insurance starts paying. Given the cost run on prepaid medical with co-pay plans, it just isn't worth it to me.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 PM

18,568 posts, read 15,684,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Just ran that through Covered California. It would actually cost $102/mo. Welfare picks up most of the cost for a family of three earning $50k/yr. There's other more expensive options. The "gold/platinum" insurance would be around $500-600/mo, but those have slightly lower out of pocket maximums. The major difference is they pay in earlier. They're more prepaid medical care with copays than insurance. Insurance has always made more sense to me as I can just self-insure for that gap between where real insurance starts paying. Given the cost run on prepaid medical with co-pay plans, it just isn't worth it to me.
Are you saying the welfare does, or does not, cover most of the out of pocket max? If not, MJ's point remains standing.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Are you saying the welfare does, or does not, cover most of the out of pocket max? If not, MJ's point remains standing.
It covers the premium, yeah. Out-of-pocket stands, but welfare paying the lion's share of the premiums makes it a lot easier to save if one is so inclined to.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM

107,338 posts, read 109,727,924 times
for ny it shows it picks up 3600 in premium and you pay 4800 , no out of pocket subsidized which is killer .

Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 PM

18,568 posts, read 15,684,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It covers the premium, yeah. Out-of-pocket stands, but welfare paying the lion's share of the premiums makes it a lot easier to save if one is so inclined to.
Assuming you're healthy.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
for ny it shows it picks up 3600 in premium and you pay 4800 , no out of pocket subsidized which is killer .
Interesting. It picks up $4,560 in premium here and you pay $1,224. That's kind of interesting because I'd expect that your insurance is cheaper in NY which is why it gets less welfare subsidy. Plus the kid in California gets excluded (placed in Medi-Cal, Medicare for the rest of you folks). I don't know what that is, maybe another $2,000/yr?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance