Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 08:46 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,705,310 times

Advertisements

People are poor because they make bad decisions regarding how to spend their time and energy. These bad decisions usually start in childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 08:54 PM

34,208 posts, read 17,290,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
People are poor because they make bad decisions regarding how to spend their time and energy. These bad decisions usually start in childhood.

Amen.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,799,720 times
It's not a single generation thing.

You save in poverty to get your kids into a good college and studying a good major. This is what those Asians at your Pho place are doing, your laundry mat, your dry cleaners, your Chineese take out, your Thai food, your 7-11, your housemaid, your gardener, your day laborer.

All these people come to America, bust their butts, save their meager pay and make it better for their offspring.

My parents didn't do this for me, but I made the tough choices to carve my own road, and you best believe I'll be giving my kids the help they need to succeed even if it costs me some luxuries.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,557,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. Even liberal think tanks like the Brookings Institution found that if people do just 3 things, their chances of being poor drop to only 2%:

In later research, Ron Haskins and I learned that if individuals do just three things — finish high school, work full time and marry before they have children — their chances of being poor drop from 15 percent to 2 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...JqU_story.html

Well just duh, the official government poverty bar is set lower than reality.

Government says a childless full time minimum wage worker paying half his income on rent is not poor, while a retired mcmansion owner living on low SS with no mortgage payment and a property tax deferral is poor.

That's nuts.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I worked in childhood - started shoveling snow around town when I was ten - and saved up today's equivalent of $20k by the time I graduated high school..and I'm poor.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,442,522 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
It's not a single generation thing.

You save in poverty to get your kids into a good college and studying a good major. This is what those Asians at your Pho place are doing, your laundry mat, your dry cleaners, your Chineese take out, your Thai food, your 7-11, your housemaid, your gardener, your day laborer.

All these people come to America, bust their butts, save their meager pay and make it better for their offspring.
These two posts are very much related. MDrenter223 talks about the Asian culture where poor immigrant parents stress the education and opportunities of their children. They stand over their children and expect them to master school. They insist on good academic and career decisions.

The flip side is we have a permanent underclass of people who completely lack any of that culture. Add to that the modern millenial "everyone is a unique snowflake" culture where everyone gets a participation trophy and nobody is prepared to compete in the real world. All those bad decisions compounded.

I think the overall problem is that we're simply too damned affluent. The permanent underclass can make constant bad decisions that condemn them to be poor but they'll still have a roof over their head and food on the table. Those unique snowflakes can live in their parents basement and avoid ever having to compete in the real world. Our economy 30 years from now is going to be driven by those Asians and the children of Hispanic illegals who have no choice but to better themselves.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I worked in childhood - started shoveling snow around town when I was ten - and saved up today's equivalent of $20k by the time I graduated high school..and I'm poor.

and you basically worked decades at entry level jobs as an adult, so yes, that would consume today's equivalent of 20k.

Now what? Keep renting tiny, minimally heated rooms? Or change the behavior that led you to where you are on 1-3-2016?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That's nice, but it changes nothing , nor will it, regarding your situation.

So enjoy what you have.

How so? I was making decent money back in the '90s when I had enough space and was able to do everything from home. So I know it is possible.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How so? I was making decent money back in the '90s when I had enough space and was able to do everything from home. So I know it is possible.

And you haven't made enough in decades to afford that space again.

Insanity is doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
These two posts are very much related. MDrenter223 talks about the Asian culture where poor immigrant parents stress the education and opportunities of their children. They stand over their children and expect them to master school. They insist on good academic and career decisions.

The flip side is we have a permanent underclass of people who completely lack any of that culture. Add to that the modern millenial "everyone is a unique snowflake" culture where everyone gets a participation trophy and nobody is prepared to compete in the real world. All those bad decisions compounded.

I think the overall problem is that we're simply too damned affluent. The permanent underclass can make constant bad decisions that condemn them to be poor but they'll still have a roof over their head and food on the table. Those unique snowflakes can live in their parents basement and avoid ever having to compete in the real world. Our economy 30 years from now is going to be driven by those Asians and the children of Hispanic illegals who have no choice but to better themselves.

If that is the case, are the working poor the biggest chumps in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance