Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Heads up. If you find a CD that pays an acceptable rate, read the fine print carefully. Many of those shorter CDs roll over automatically at the end of the year into a long term CD with a much lower rate. You have to be very careful that you don't miss the anniversary date, because you must instruct them to remove the money from the CD when it matures so that it doesn't roll into a CD that doesn't suit you.

Pay attention and you will be OK. Cross your fingers and hope and it might not go the way that you plan.

What you describe would be very uncommon. Rolling into a similar dated maturity length might be an auto thing but a longer term? Can you provide a link to a place that does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The point is that we need means testing for Social Security, to prevent millionaires from collecting.
And I agree - the point is off topic.
Why?

Because someone else was more responsible and was able to save $500k during their working career whereas I can only surmise that you chose not to do that?

As it is, Social Security is already far from 1:1. High income earners pay in much more than they take out, low income earners take out much more than they pay in. Now you want people who chose to plan ahead and save for retirement not to be able to collect it because you chose not to? Million isn't difficult. Start at 25 making $50k/yr, save 20% of income, millionaire by retirement at 6% growth. But that person shouldn't get social security because they chose to live within their means whereas someone else chose not to.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think we should push your retirement age for collecting up a few more years .

you want to retire earlier , great but you don't collect until later . perhaps if you own a home you even get a reduction . or maybe those with 401k's available to them should get a cut .

there is no end to who and what you take away once you start
Well, some kind of cut or new taxes is necessary. I'd be more for the pain being shared by everyone than just soak the people who are already over contributing some more though.

Maybe you could look at type of work. For example, desk jobs there really no reason you can work until 75-80 in a lot of cases. Sure, some people lose their marbles and are too batty to work by 80 but plenty of others don't. The batty ones can go on social security disability until they reach retirement age for their occupation (say 75). Meanwhile laborers you could lower the retirement age to say 60. I'm pretty sure doing my job would be easier at 75 than doing ironwork at 60. That'd fix it. Wouldn't be beneficial to me (or Geek, who is if I remember correctly an engineer) but it would fix it.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:36 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the answer is just federally fund the short fall and just pull it from the wasteful programs the gov't spends money on .

Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Why?

Because someone else was more responsible and was able to save $500k during their working career whereas I can only surmise that you chose not to do that?

As it is, Social Security is already far from 1:1. High income earners pay in much more than they take out, low income earners take out much more than they pay in. Now you want people who chose to plan ahead and save for retirement not to be able to collect it because you chose not to? Million isn't difficult. Start at 25 making $50k/yr, save 20% of income, millionaire by retirement at 6% growth. But that person shouldn't get social security because they chose to live within their means whereas someone else chose not to.
Beergeek also thinks someone with a million dollars qualifies as super rich. I wouldn't know where to begin explaining reality to someone that thinks that,

Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Just an idea and I haven't tried it myself, but I do know several people that have purchased a collection of rentals as passive retirement income. People do it all the time.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Beergeek also thinks someone with a million dollars qualifies as super rich. I wouldn't know where to begin explaining reality to someone that thinks that,
anything more then they have is to much , you don't need so much in their view

Old 05-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Just an idea and I haven't tried it myself, but I do know several people that have purchased a collection of rentals as passive retirement income. People do it all the time.
i got rid of almost all ours . last thing we want in retirement is a job and dealing with tenants and their bull .

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
I'm still wondering how a couple with 500k between them are millionaires.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
"Umpqua Bank" offers 2% interest on 5-year CDs, but there is 3% penalty on withdrawals, be it partial or complete.
The interest is free to be withdrawn every month.
They are located in California, Oregon and Washington states only. FDIC insured up to 250 K per person.
If you go with something like this, split your money into several CDs. That way, should you need to break one, you don't pay the penalty on your entire 500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance