Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:33 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,852,483 times

Advertisements

I see those coupons all the time, but they're always for chain restaurants and not the local places we enjoy. There is one local place that has a coupon once in a blue moon and we also use it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,394,171 times
For the most part the twofer coupons are not for places where my family dines. Which does not explain why the people who actually use those restaurants don't use the coupons.

I'll use coupons if they are for something that I buy anyway, but I think a lot of people simply throw those coupon mailers away without looking to see what is in there. I know I do, because every time I do take the time to thumb through them, there is nothing I could use.

I think that the question is why do restaurants continue to waste money mailing out coupons if they aren't gettign any coupons returned to them. The coupon is obviously inefficient.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM

547 posts, read 508,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
2:1 entree 10-15$
2 drinks 5-10$
20% tip. 5$

Dining experience at a fast food joint - priceless!

Black Angus rib eye 12.99 pound
Chicken breast 2.99 pound
Asparagus .98 pound
Fresh bread .50 home made loaf
Tip - change SO forgets to take out of his pockets
Cooking is for poor people

Old 07-20-2016, 02:13 PM

19 posts, read 65,671 times
Again, these are not people who dislike chain restaurants, but people who are there sitting at the next table paying $20 more than my wife and I because they don't use the coupons that are flooding newspapers and the mail.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:09 PM

22,713 posts, read 47,929,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Interest View Post
Again, these are not people who dislike chain restaurants, but people who are there sitting at the next table paying $20 more than my wife and I because they don't use the coupons that are flooding newspapers and the mail.
Again, maybe they are like me and no longer receive junk mail (so no coupons) and/or the get the paper digitally (so no coupons).

Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM

24,810 posts, read 11,217,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Cooking is for poor people
Then I love to be poor. Well, after a visit to a brand new Sprouts a few miles down the road - I am 60 pounds of nuts (the edible kind) richer but ...)))

Old 07-20-2016, 04:57 PM

24,810 posts, read 11,217,157 times
Quote:
I have simply given up on educating most others. I am at the register and a young kid in front of me had a pair of 1200$ Luchese boots. He went 'thank you so much' with a big grin when I gave him a 20% coupon. The mid 30 yuppie behind me was upset when I offered him one. Go figure!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 PM

10,384 posts, read 8,050,810 times
I don't use them because, as a single person, they don't work out well for me. I do give them to married coworkers who might get some use out of the coupons, and they've been appreciative.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,825,262 times
Quote:
Recently I have been getting lots of coupons in the mail or online at local chain restaurants including Ruby Tuesday, Pizza Uno and TGIF. It gets us in the door.

I make a point to ask the server if he/she gets many customers who use these coupons. The typical response is NO! Even though these coupons are sent all over town, few customers use them.

Are they embarrassed to use a coupon? Think they are too good to use one? Or think it is too much hassle?

Why, if you could get two meals for the price of one at a place you are eating at anyway, why not?
I hit some places which had the "2 for 1 offer" and said "I'd like them to go" they replied "This is for eat in only" I then smiled and walked out...

Yes, i am single and like my life that way.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:18 PM

561 posts, read 440,016 times
My husband and I always use a coupon at Ruby Tuesday's. They have saturated the market with them although they aren't ever B1G1 free. Olive Garden occasionally has them but not often. The rest of the restaurants we eat at don't have coupons.

We also always ask if there is a senior discount.

I don't think young people are as into coupons. This isn't universally true, but it's just what I observed from working retail, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance