Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

Driving a cab, we (I?) get tipped nearly 100%, save for a few types of customers or situations. Even when we don't deserve it or haven't provided a good experience, I believe most people will still tip, even a little tip, because they're afraid not to (?). If paying by credit card, the display screen is in your face, waiting for you to tip a pre-selected tip or type in your own. One can press "0" on the keypad if declining to tip, but it's rare in my experience.

But, with Lyft, there is a tip option built into the app. I heard from two drivers that less than half of their Lyft passengers tip -- even when presented with an easy option to tip. I'm not sure if that Fasten rideshare startup, born in Boston, has a tip feature.

Uber, of course, does not display a tip option. If you wish to tip, it's cash only. From what I constantly read on a rideshare forum, very, very few Uber passengers tip. A court recently agreed that Uber drivers can solicit tips in their vehicle, with a jar or sign. Is that offensive to passengers? Would you give that driver no tip and a poor rating...or even contact support with a complaint?

It seems people will give a better tip to a cabbie because that tipping tradition has been forever. If they tip their rideshare driver at all, it's likely to be a lot smaller amount than for a cab driver?

Even a passenger told me he will tip his Lyft driver because there's a button to do so, as he carries no cash. But he will not tip Uber drivers because there's no convenient tip button.

Just curious .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
I don't tip them. Not because I don't value the service. I don't understand how everyone is supposed to be tipped now. Seems kinda ridiculous to me personally. Tips are for exceptional service, not just for doing what we all agreed to do beforehand and simply not messing up. I have never used lyft.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:01 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,601 times
When Uber first came out, their whole thing was how it was cashless and could all be paid for directly through your phone. The fact that they've made it almost impossible for drivers to turn a decent wage is unfortunate, but tips should not be expected by drivers.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
When Uber first came out, their whole thing was how it was cashless and could all be paid for directly through your phone. The fact that they've made it almost impossible for drivers to turn a decent wage is unfortunate, but tips should not be expected by drivers.
Drivers a) choose to be drivers and b) they do make money and it's not bad. If they think it's not enough why does uber get more drivers than fewer? There are many different kinds of people who drive. For many immigrants it's the one of the only ways to make honest money. Tired of the union/nativist anti free market nonsense.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Generally speaking, when I use an app to pay for something whether it is Starbucks, Lyft or whatever, I tip less often, due to the speed of the transaction not the service.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Drivers a) choose to be drivers and b) they do make money and it's not bad. If they think it's not enough why does uber get more drivers than fewer? There are many different kinds of people who drive. For many immigrants it's the one of the only ways to make honest money. Tired of the union/nativist anti free market nonsense.
Not sure what prompted your little economics rant but I think we agree? I did it for a few months, and yes you make decent money. What you don't turn is a profit. You'll notice a lot of people do it on weekends only which makes sense, you arent sitting around waiting for hours unpaid, motor idling for a $5 pool fare that you can't opt out of. Wear and tear, cleaning, gas, buying coffee, wasting time sitting there when you can be doing something else eats away the entire profit. Then there's increased exposure to being ticketed, liability of insurance during accidents, it is just a stupid way to earn $10/hr.

Edit: My primary job gives me a lot of off hour and weekday free time, and working for a friends landscaping crew 12 hours covers more than I ever made in a week, and roughly double the time behind the wheel.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Not sure what prompted your little economics rant but I think we agree? I did it for a few months, and yes you make decent money. What you don't turn is a profit. You'll notice a lot of people do it on weekends only which makes sense, you arent sitting around waiting for hours unpaid, motor idling for a $5 pool fare that you can't opt out of. Wear and tear, cleaning, gas, buying coffee, wasting time sitting there when you can be doing something else eats away the entire profit. Then there's increased exposure to being ticketed, liability of insurance during accidents, it is just a stupid way to earn $10/hr.

Edit: My primary job gives me a lot of off hour and weekday free time, and working for a friends landscaping crew 12 hours covers more than I ever made in a week, and roughly double the time behind the wheel.
Sorry, I assumed too much from your post. In a lot of conversations I have about ride share with people, it usually comes around to the companies using "wage slaves" and how it's not fair for some reason to taxis or whatever. I apologize for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Peer to peer economy is doing a good job of allowing for some choice and freedom when the local, state and federal government insist ever more that they make choices for us. That's why I stand up for these kinds of companies so much, because it's about things bigger than them in reality.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sorry, I assumed too much from your post. In a lot of conversations I have about ride share with people, it usually comes around to the companies using "wage slaves" and how it's not fair for some reason to taxis or whatever.
No problem. I don't think they give their drivers enough of a cut, but I voted with my feet and left. What other company has you bring a $40k piece of equipment to work and start beating it up for low pay? They get a fleet worth billions and get to profit off of it with nothing invested, I think it is genius. They will continue to get people signing up and continue to profit so it will absolutely stick around. I'm glad, I can barely drive around for the cost of a pool fare.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
I almost always tip cab drivers. I tip Uber/Lyft/Fasten drivers only for exceptional service which amounts to probably 1/3 of the time. It's also less than what I typically tip a cab ($3 or $4 on a 15-20 fare for Uber/Lyft/Fasten).

I get that some people find it "confusing," but I actually like where it is now. As it should be. Tipping isn't expected by most Uber/Lyft/Fasten drivers. Tipping in other countries works similarly. In Japan, I rarely tipped at restaurants or in cabs (only for excellent service). It's not expected, nor is it necessary for the survival of the server or driver. Here, you rarely get a bitter (or none at all) response when you walk out of an Uber without tipping. Try not tipping a cab drive or a server... A tip for excellent Uber/Lyft/Fasten service is definitely appreciated, however. I've actually had tips refused by Uber drivers.

I don't feel pressure to tip Uber/Lyft/Fasten drivers and as a customer, I appreciate that feeling.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Like others have said, I always tip cab drivers, but almost never tip Uber drivers. Exceptions being if they had to wait on me, or if they make a stop for me en route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance