Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:49 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm near Seattle, right on the Pacific Rim.

I live on a plateau and there is another small mountain between me and Mt. Rainier so I'm safe from lahars and gas and rock, but not necessarily from ash, which would paralyze transportation and most mechanical systems.

I need to be concerned about mud slides and structural damage from earth quakes. I've wondered about forest fires too, but I might be too urban.
You are showing as Grove City, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,677,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You are showing as Grove City, PA
It's intentional.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:02 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,615,454 times
Having cash after a hurricane was really helpful allowing me to buy beer from a store who's power was out. Saved the day for sure

Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Having cash after a hurricane was really helpful allowing me to buy beer from a store who's power was out. Saved the day for sure
Yes, but how much beer money did you need?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:12 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,355,332 times
What do you need cash for? Food, motel, gas etc. Could run $200 per day day not knowing how many are in your family. I would say 1,000 for a few days.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
What do you need cash for? Food, motel, gas etc. Could run $200 per day day not knowing how many are in your family. I would say 1,000 for a few days.
That's the thing: I'm not really sure. I was just curious what others do. I figured asking people from Florida would be a good start. I've never experienced a mandatory evacuation.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,156,686 times
Quote:
I'm reassembling a substantial emergency supplies kit... the kind that's supposed to get us through "the big one" (volcanic eruption or catastrophic earthquake, both of which are completely valid concerns 'round these parts).

They always say "keep cash on hand", but they never say just how much. The only thing I can imagine needing cash for if the SHTF is for gasoline, mechanic, airline tickets (totally optimistic on that one) and, of course, food and health needs (but our kit should last us a month... about 2 weeks longer than what authorities recommend).

So maybe 1k?
I keep a thousand cash in the safe. Ways that has come in handy, non catastrophic emergency thus far (knock on wood) here in Seattle:

- The locksmith who was "cash only" for a couple hundred. He was shady, didn't surprise me all that much but good I had it.

- When my credit card is nicked, and/or ATM, was happening like clockwork every couple years until ...a couple years ago. Guess I'm due. Takes the doofuses about a week to send me a new one, during which I need to go cash-only obviously. Haven't used ATM card much since going largely cashless past few years.

- Couple other times I've needed a few hundred on relatively short notice, for convenience sake until I can go to the ATM. Not an emergency, though.

Obvious real emergency purpose is for a disaster-type situation where I'm in a bind, as you say for gas or something else I may need but not have handy. So yes, for me too, a grand on-hand seems about right. Major emergency requiring ten-twenty large "cash" (or should I say, sudden expense), I'd charge it and bite the bullet....assuming credit cards are available, I guess!

Zombie apocalypse, my charges will be made via Smith and Wesson and Fabrique Nationale. Figure those odds are (I pray) about .000001% on any given day, though.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 PM

10,777 posts, read 5,694,213 times
Quote:
I'm reassembling a substantial emergency supplies kit... the kind that's supposed to get us through "the big one" (volcanic eruption or catastrophic earthquake, both of which are completely valid concerns 'round these parts).

They always say "keep cash on hand", but they never say just how much. The only thing I can imagine needing cash for if the SHTF is for gasoline, mechanic, airline tickets (totally optimistic on that one) and, of course, food and health needs (but our kit should last us a month... about 2 weeks longer than what authorities recommend).

So maybe 1k?

Anyone preppers from Florida wanna chime in on how much cash you keep? I figure that's the population that is most experienced with natural disasters.
If you only have supplies for a month, you won't make it through "the big one."

Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you only have supplies for a month, you won't make it through "the big one."
Really, you think? I would think FIMA would be able to get it's sheite together enough to provide assistance within a month. It's a prosperous country and particularly affluent corner of the state. First worlders deluxe. Inefficient response would necessitate a very complex system of assaults on a national scale, not just a regional disaster.

Well, that's my opinion at least.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,777,474 times
Less than $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance