Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:08 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times

Advertisements

I've heard up to six months is recommended.
Is that at your current lifestyle or at "oh oh, time to cut back till we get back on track" rate?
For example I early retired off my investments which are rental properties and plan on spending everything I get and living life to it's fullest after building a reserve.

To live in decent comfort with no travel or outlandish cars etc I need $4894 per month.
But at the lifestyle I wish to lead it will be $9843/month.This budget includes 3 car payments on luxury cars and about 24K a year to travel. If things went bad I can cut the travel, cars might be a bit harder as I would have to sell, maybe at a loss. I have no mortgage or debt except for cars.

Outside of a health disaster I can't forsee anything really hitting me.
I'm thinking maybe putting aside about $50k to $60K for reserve.

What do you think?

Also where would you put this much. The idea of getting .002 from the bank doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 08-26-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
hmm 48 views and no responses. Guess I'll just go one what my gut tells me.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Online banks pay 1%+/- FDIC insured that's where I keep my savings

Old 08-27-2016, 07:13 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
I don't see one answer fitting everyone. Some people have very stable, secure employment. Others, like myself, worked in fields undergoing downsizing and consolidation. I lost my job several times due to M&A. I always found a new job and usually a job that was better than my previous job but that could take months. I really needed to be able to cover basic expenses for way more than 6 months and even then I never felt financially secure.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:18 AM

466 posts, read 644,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't see one answer fitting everyone. Some people have very stable, secure employment. Others, like myself, worked in fields undergoing downsizing and consolidation.
That, plus if you do a search on emergency funds, you'll find many many threads about this topic.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I've heard up to six months is recommended.
Is that at your current lifestyle or at "oh oh, time to cut back till we get back on track" rate?
For example I early retired off my investments which are rental properties and plan on spending everything I get and living life to it's fullest after building a reserve.

To live in decent comfort with no travel or outlandish cars etc I need $4894 per month.
But at the lifestyle I wish to lead it will be $9843/month.This budget includes 3 car payments on luxury cars and about 24K a year to travel. If things went bad I can cut the travel, cars might be a bit harder as I would have to sell, maybe at a loss. I have no mortgage or debt except for cars.

Outside of a health disaster I can't forsee anything really hitting me.
I'm thinking maybe putting aside about $50k to $60K for reserve.

What do you think?

Also where would you put this much. The idea of getting .002 from the bank doesn't sit well with me.
Truthfully I dont carry car payments. I refuse to carry them in retirement when I retire. I would pay off the cars.

Seems like you plan on living it up till the day you die. While I plan on having some fun in retirement I'm not going to blow money like a sailor on leave.

We have multiple accounts/investments. One is designed as the emergency fund. If you need $4800 a month to maintain some lifestyle in retirement you're spending a lot. Usually in retirement you slow your roll.
50k would be the minimum I would put aside if I were in your position.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Depends on what life throws your way.

In my case - what reserves?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
We have 2 times my take home income. We save/invest all of my husband's income so we don't include that in our calculations for the emergency funds.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
If you've put nothing aside for disaster , you've decided to become victim, not a survivor.
When the dollar crashes, like it did in south America there will be no stores to go to, that will take worthless paper, in exchange for what ever is left on the shelves .
In the midst of any disaster, those not prepared with food and supplies will be dependent on public services to survive no matter how long it last.
Remember Katrina. FEMA is incompetent .
Early in my 60s I began to more aggressively begin to learn how to properly store food and water and other medical supplies and learn alternative medicines I can make my self.
Also gathering skills and broadening my training in more primitive methods of making do if it becomes necessary.
Having a portion of gold put away to exchange for the new currency ,what ever that may turn out to be, is not a bad idea, but you can't eat gold, and it's only good for barter to those that don't need any thing else .
I am retired now, and live on about 1k a month ,and from time to time borrow for my reserves, which are good for about 2 years .
I am learning to garden and can food ,so I can blend that with my stores, and last significantly longer ,God willing.
2k a month would be luxurious IMO
The beauty is ,should I die now , my children can make use of my investments ,to brighten their future and survival, adding to their stores as well .

Old 08-27-2016, 08:23 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
We have 2 times my take home income. We save/invest all of my husband's income so we don't include that in our calculations for the emergency funds.
Are you saying you have two years of take home pay in an emergency fund? How many years of expenses is that? Is it sitting around in CDs? Savings accounts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance