Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 AM

390 posts, read 367,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is not higher incomes that let someone cut back . it is discretionary spending in the budget . i know plenty of high income people that created lifestyles where everything they put in place is a need and not a want .

on the other we know more normal incomed folks and they have built in higher discretionary spending
True enough. My point was just that one is much more likely to HAVE discretionary spending earning 200k vs 20k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 AM

107,011 posts, read 109,313,415 times
i don't think we can say that as a rule . as a matter of fact there is a very nice condo in our area which i always wished i lived in .

while we can afford it ,it would cut our discretionary spending drastically .

with those carrying costs we would have little places to cut if we had to so since now those bills become a need so i am not in favor of doing it .

Old 08-29-2016, 09:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,922,277 times
I keep less than 10k in reserve but have a HELOC to tap into for larger emergencies.

The rest is in the market.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:19 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,837,690 times
One other thing to consider: The amount of one's total portfolio represented by the emergency fund. For us, it's less than 8% of our total net worth (not including our house, but just stocks, bonds, 401K balances etc.). While I agree that having excess cash instead of investing the money can be a missed opportunity, the percent it represents also matters.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:11 AM

280 posts, read 251,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some marketing trick . half the country says they could never come up with even 2k in 30 days if they needed it .
OK so "trick" isn't the right word but it was late.

Half the country plans poorly... Doesn't shock me one bit. I think that has to do with the level of income. I wonder how those numbers change as incomes go up.

An emergency fund is one OPTION in a financial plan, not a requirement. (source me: BS Finance, MBA. in financial services for 10+ years, more licenses than 99% of your "planners" out there)

Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,604,871 times
This is how my income gets split up every paycheck. 40% towards monthly bills, 25% into savings(in addition to my 401k savings), the rest goes towards recreational/miscellaneous spending.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:25 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
I'm unemployed starting September 1. I've always maintained a really large emergency fund. At the moment, it is 1 year of gross pay. I think I can go 3 years on that if necessary without any lifestyle changes other than dialing back my monthly credit card bill. It takes away most of the anxiety of finding my next job. I doubt I'll have to dip into that emergency fund at all but it's comforting to know it's there.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 AM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
OK so "trick" isn't the right word but it was late.

Half the country plans poorly... Doesn't shock me one bit. I think that has to do with the level of income. I wonder how those numbers change as incomes go up.

An emergency fund is one OPTION in a financial plan, not a requirement. (source me: BS Finance, MBA. in financial services for 10+ years, more licenses than 99% of your "planners" out there)

How many comprehensive financial plans have you put together that include zero cash? I'm sure with all your licensing you'd know that really should come out to zero. I don't think it's an option at all, maybe the amount would be optional

Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
We used to keep a lot more in reserve but realized recently that it was overkill, so we scaled back to three months in cash in a financial management account and increased the percentage we invest accordingly.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM

6,636 posts, read 7,377,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How many comprehensive financial plans have you put together that include zero cash? I'm sure with all your licensing you'd know that really should come out to zero. I don't think it's an option at all, maybe the amount would be optional
I am sure the answer is not zero unless you consider CD's not to be cash and maybe the same for very short term bond funds. I think you need a cash fund for several reasons but if you put all your cash in CD's that had a penalty if you cash them in I would still count that as cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance