Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 11:59 AM

3,957 posts, read 6,882,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
Dave Ramsey on tithing

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/dave...ing-and-giving
See "other questions about tithing"
I stand corrected. I'd be very surprised if he would ever recommend tithing for this poster based on the budget I am seeing simply because they are starting from such a hole. Obviously there are areas to cut (life insurance) but not enough to cover the amount of the tithe. This money is better served paying off the debts so they can lower their stress and become financially stable before giving to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 1,011,226 times
I've read this entire thread and now my head hurts. I'm at a lost for words. I have debt too and go to church. However, to continue paying $400 per month in tithes when you can't afford to live on your own is crazy.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:09 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,076,636 times
You should be able to cut your monthly expenses big time. Shop around for best rates & drop the life insurance. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:28 PM

609 posts, read 267,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I've read this entire thread and now my head hurts. I'm at a lost for words. I have debt too and go to church. However, to continue paying $400 per month in tithes when you can't afford to live on your own is crazy.
I know someone who has 50K debt, no health insurance, sees faith healers when she gets sick, and still tithes to her church. There is no way to get through to these folks. They aren't going to give up their tithing.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:31 AM

1,408 posts, read 1,011,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I know someone who has 50K debt, no health insurance, sees faith healers when she gets sick, and still tithes to her church. There is no way to get through to these folks. They aren't going to give up their tithing.
I've been in church my entire life. I know how they guilt people into paying no matter what.

I've sat through sermons where the Preacher says you can't keep what doesn't belong to you. That 10% belongs to God and you are robbing him when you keep it.

I heard Preachers say "You can't afford NOT to tithe!". I've seen them using all kinds of scare tactics like the reason you are struggling financially is because you're not tithing.

I'm a black guy in a black church. We have churches in some of the poorest neighborhoods where some members can't afford their light bill but they tithe because they believe they will get a financial break through later. I know churches that bring in $200,000+ a Sunday. I don't even want to discuss the stuff I've seen. Pastors with Bentleys, private helicopters, beach houses, etc. The people believe that if Pastor is blessed then his people with eventually be blessed.

I've gotten in trouble for questioning all of this. For example, do you tithes on gross or net? I've seen Pastors say tithe your tax refund. That's what made me mad. If I tithed on net, then tithing on my tax refund is double dipping.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:49 AM

609 posts, read 267,393 times
Quote:
I've been in church my entire life. I know how they guilt people into paying no matter what.

I've sat through sermons where the Preacher says you can't keep what doesn't belong to you. That 10% belongs to God and you are robbing him when you keep it.
Also a reason why unemployed persons get shunned in many churches. People know they can't put much money in the plate.

And we have people like Dave Ramsey giving financial advice, and telling people to tithe and give money to their church even if they have debt. Which is strange considering that Dave Ramsey tells people don't spend anything until you pay off your debt. But tithing is 'okay'.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,668,998 times
Quote:

I heard Preachers say "You can't afford NOT to tithe!". I've seen them using all kinds of scare tactics like the reason you are struggling financially is because you're not tithing.
I have heard this said as "you can't outgive God", or "God will bless you for tithing". If this were true, then OP would no longer be deep in debt and unable to support herself. Somehow, some people don't seem to notice how reality does not support this claim.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:09 PM

9,577 posts, read 4,401,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The big problem is the tithe and a lack of income. OP should be looking for better employment period.

This.

A 30 year old making $15 per hour is going to be poor for the rest of their lives. Most $15/hr jobs have no career advancement potential - they'll be fortunate to keep up with inflation. There's really good advice in this thread on how to reduce spending, but the real issue is a very low income.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,469,042 times
Quote:

I'm a black guy in a black church. We have churches in some of the poorest neighborhoods where some members can't afford their light bill but they tithe because they believe they will get a financial break through later. I know churches that bring in $200,000+ a Sunday. I don't even want to discuss the stuff I've seen. Pastors with Bentleys, private helicopters, beach houses, etc. The people believe that if Pastor is blessed then his people with eventually be blessed.

I've gotten in trouble for questioning all of this. For example, do you tithes on gross or net? I've seen Pastors say tithe your tax refund. That's what made me mad. If I tithed on net, then tithing on my tax refund is double dipping.
My college roommate attended such a church. His pastor at the time drove a chauffeured driven Bentley. There were times he didn't have food to eat nor could he pay the rent.I will say his church did help him out a couple times. Anyway fast forward 20 years later not only does he not go to the church anymore, he doesn't go to church period.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:42 PM

18,566 posts, read 15,668,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My college roommate attended such a church. His pastor at the time drove a chauffeured driven Bentley. There were times he didn't have food to eat nor could he pay the rent.I will say his church did help him out a couple times. Anyway fast forward 20 years later not only does he not go to the church anymore, he doesn't go to church period.
You're forgetting that the omnipotent creator of the universe can't carry out his plans without some Federal Reserve Notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance