Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:08 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,051,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Problem is people are trying to make comparisons but using different definitions. "Net Income" means different things to different people, and some people aren't including taxes and insurance in their housing cost.
Yeah, the OP should have defined "net income". True net income is income after taxes paid, and nothing else. But not everyone sees it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 03:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 942,148 times
19% of net, last I checked. We are moving very soon though and I think our rent in the new place is 20.2% of our new salary. It's a little higher than we wanted to pay but doable.

Last edited by Schmooky; 07-29-2017 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 03:29 PM

3,050 posts, read 5,000,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, the OP should have defined "net income". True net income is income after taxes paid, and nothing else. But not everyone sees it that way.
Agreed, but that even that is not perfect, because it doesn't account for the difference in taxes withheld, and tax liability.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,525,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Those deduction and contribution choices are exactly why gross is NOT the better measure.
Choose wisely, contribute what you can afford to them, live off the rest. The net.

Some people do not have CHOICES in deductions or contributions. e.g. my contributions are zero because I lack discretionary income.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
I spend the 20% of my monthly income to pay the rent. Renting an apartment in DC is expensive.

11 million Americans spend half their income on rent. Expensive is subjective.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
When my rent increase kicks in, it will be 30% of my income.

Renting is where you pay a premium that increases over time, to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property which depreciates over time.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
You must be in a very high cost of living area?

Do you plan to continue to rent for much longer?

11 million Americans spend half their income on rent. They plan to continue to rent indefinitely since buying is not an option available to them.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
My mortgage is 32% of my net. I know that's high, but if I stayed in the apartment I used to rent, with the increases the landlord has made, I would be paying 37% in rent today. My mortgage was the same as my rent when I bought the house.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with it. I also save about 33% of my income and don't consider all of it "net" (I don't think of my 401(k) when considering my net income because I don't see it in my take-home pay and in my bank account ). Other savings I considered part of net and I pay it like a bill. So my way of thinking of net income is kind of screwed up. If I really had to, I could save less. But I live pretty comfortably as it is, have every thing I need and a few "wants" now and then... so there is no need to save less.

I should also add that every year I get a raise at work. Whatever percentage they raise my pay I just add my 401(k).

Buying is where the upfront costs are high and become more affordable over time. Renting is where the upfront costs are low but you die the frog-in-heating-water death.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
What percentage of your net do you spend on rent (or your mortgage)?

Background behind this question:

I'd lived in Atlanta for over a decade and moved away to Chicago from 2012-early 2017. When I left Atlanta in 2012 I was spending 21% of my net on rent. I had a grand plan/hope to gain more experience and earn a higher income...then within 5 years return to Atlanta for the lower cost of living so that since I'd be making more, I could pay less of my income to housing. Long story short, I returned to rental prices as much as 30-70% higher than when I left. I am looking at an apartment that is indeed nicer than the one I used to live in in 2012, but it means I'd be paying 6% more in rent (27% of my net) than when I left. (I'm not really willing to compromise 'much' on the place as I'm living without a car so there is some additional savings transportation-wise whereas before I had a car and related expenses. I also now am working from home 100% of the time so I really need an appropriate space that I like since I'm home 'all' the time.) Spending 21% of what I earn (net) now puts me in the $900s 'max' for rent which wasn't too hard to do in 2012 but I find is much harder to do now.

So long story short I'm wondering where others are at as I know there are many wise people in this section of the forum. I'm going to be willing to bet that many of you who have made great financial strides aren't paying more than 15%-ish in rent (or mortgage) each month. Let's see what it pans out to be. I'm 38 and have always rented and now am finally actually starting to feel like I would come out better trying to find a super cheap place (one bedroom condo?) to buy next year. I've always liked renting and never really felt like it was a 'waste' like some do, but the rising rent amounts are starting to make me feel different fast.

What does "wise" have to do with it? If you make minimum wage and you're not living with mommy and daddy, being wise won't exempt you from the necessity to pay market rent - which won't be 15% of a minimum wage income anywhere in the developed world.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:53 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,634,489 times
17% of NET and 12% of Gross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance