Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:17 AM

9,271 posts, read 6,423,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Total: $105

Cable - none
Cell - VZW 2GB - $52
Internet - 40mbps - $53
Landline - Obi - $0

I have a work cell too, if I wanted to be really frugal I would get rid of the personal cell, but at $50/mth, not sure if it's worth it.
Just begin thinking up a list of all the things you can do with an extra $600 saved over a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:31 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,106,405 times
Cable - None
Internet - $55
Landline - None
Cell - $25
Netflix & Amazon Prime - $18

Total - $98 including Netflix/Amzn

Old 07-29-2017, 03:26 PM

6,939 posts, read 3,986,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Nobody mentioned how many TVs they have.
I have two. The 32" SmartTV is in the living room along with the router. I also have a 24" in my bedroom on top of my dresser rhat is also patched in to cable. Both TV's are paired with a VCR/DVD combo.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:46 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,641,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I have a work cell too, if I wanted to be really frugal I would get rid of the personal cell, but at $50/mth, not sure if it's worth it.
I would find it a PITA to carry around two cell phones. Since my work pays for one that is the one I have.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:43 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,925,466 times
Cable/Internet combined is $105 a month - basic cable, keep it mostly for the DVR box, one of these days I'll stop being lazy and figure out another way to record my shows....or adjust to watching them the next day via Hulu. Not sure what internet only would cost from my provider.

Cell phone is $97 for my portion (includes a phone payment that will end in October, unless I decide to get a new phone). That for unlimited calls/texts, and 10GB shared data between my mother and I.

I share a Netflix account with a friend, it's her year to pay lol. I use my brother's Hulu account but if I cut cable, would get my own (right now, I only use his to watch Hulu specific things which isn't often). I use my mom's HBO & Showtime log-ins, and contribute $20 a month to her cable bill. I have Prime, but not sure how much of that monthly cost I would allocate towards entertainment.

I have 2 TVs - cable box is in the living room, and have a FireStick on both to access all other apps/channels.

Writing it all out for this thread has inspired me to look into cutting cable costs. Can't do anything about cell phone bill until current phone is paid off, and will likely want a new phone. I'm trying to convince my mom to switch to a different carrier to save some $$ there...but we'd really need another line to realize maximum savings and my sister refuses to join our family plan.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,925,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I would find it a PITA to carry around two cell phones. Since my work pays for one that is the one I have.
I had a separate work phone for 2 years (new company does not provide phones for anyone below Director level). It was a pain but it was nice in that on the weekend, that phone stayed in my apartment, and I didn't have to think about work. I also liked keeping photos/data/messages of a personal nature completely private, and I've had my cell phone number for a long time (16 years!). Don't want to change it at this point.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,799,152 times
Smart Phone $35 (one phone)
Internet- $65
TV- $35 (2 tvs)
Netflix- $10

Look into the streaming tv services rather then cable if you are paying too much.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 PM

406 posts, read 621,235 times
$250 - fios triple play plus two iPhones

Old 07-31-2017, 07:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,336,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisting wind View Post
Most middle class folks I know tell me they can't make ends meet. In other words their income is less than their needs for a middle class lifestyle.

Ends meet is a lots higher now days than 20 years ago. Back then I used a rabbit ears for my TV, there were no Smartphones and my telephone cost about $10.00 a month.
<snip>

How about you?
How about now?

How about you?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:32 PM

24,575 posts, read 18,403,670 times
I just changed my cell plan to VZW unlimited. That's my only bill. I've been in the cable modem business for years so I have free internet. I don't have video service at my house. I only watch sports. My ski condo has video included with the condo fee so I'm sort of paying for it as part of my condo fee.

I have a huge Blu Ray and DVD library. I watch that rather than programming with commercials in it.

I would like to watch English Premier League soccer on weekend mornings. I can stream it but the quality isn't very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance