Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,461,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I don't even have basic house insurance. It's like another $100/month, and I really don't want it. Since I don't have a traditional mortgage, I'm not required to get one, so I didn't. I trust him enough not to sue me if he gets injured on my property or anything.
And you trust the place won't burn down? Or get broken pipes or anything else? You don't make money by skimping on IMPORTANT things. You're just crossing your fingers, not doing responsible planning.

And you also trust that he is skilled enough to do the repairs needed? I hope no inspections or permits are needed? And yes, you're trusting he won't sue you if he falls off a ladder and breaks his back. The hubris of youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 01:04 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,395,743 times
Feeding my age 24 pay into the BLS CPI calculator, I get $81,146.22. My business card said "Senior Software Engineer". I was working at a metro-Boston telecom startup. I was getting promotions and raises that far exceeded the inflation rate every year. I was renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Andover, Ma.

At the time, there was no such thing as a 401(k) at any company I worked for. I think I was 30 the first time I had one. I'm one of the late-Boomers who got caught in the gap between defined benefit pensions and 401(k) plans. I never had a company match until I was in my mid-50's. That's how small company high tech always worked.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:04 PM

174 posts, read 113,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And you trust the place won't burn down? Or get broken pipes or anything else? You don't make money by skimping on IMPORTANT things. You're just crossing your fingers, not doing responsible planning.

I only really need fire insurance, but $100 is too high. I fully accept the idea that this place will get a few pipes taken out of the walls at some point and broken doors and windows. my hope is that the area will get better, and then I can pour a ton into renovations and either sell or have a rental management company take over.

Last edited by theatomicbomb90; 01-16-2018 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Feeding my age 24 pay into the BLS CPI calculator, I get $81,146.22. My business card said "Senior Software Engineer". I was working at a metro-Boston telecom startup. I was getting promotions and raises that far exceeded the inflation rate every year. I was renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Andover, Ma.

At the time, there was no such thing as a 401(k) at any company I worked for. I think I was 30 the first time I had one. I'm one of the late-Boomers who got caught in the gap between defined benefit pensions and 401(k) plans. I never had a company match until I was in my mid-50's. That's how small company high tech always worked.

did you get any pension benefits?

Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,569,742 times
Quote:
This sounds a lot like me at 24. Except I was in NYC, and living in a 3BR with roommates.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
did you get any pension benefits?
None. Any employer I ever had with a pension plan did a vesting schedule on pensions where I never was there long enough to qualify. 10 years of employment was pretty common. You had to work for the company for several years before you could participate in their 401(k) and I was never there long enough for that, either. The tech startups had nothing. Things really changed between 1981 when I entered the labor force and 1988 or 1989 when I had my first 401(k).

Now, you just have to wait, worst case, until the next benefits enrollment period. My last several jobs, 401(k) deduction started day #1.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
None. Any employer I ever had with a pension plan did a vesting schedule on pensions where I never was there long enough to qualify. 10 years of employment was pretty common. You had to work for the company for several years before you could participate in their 401(k) and I was never there long enough for that, either. The tech startups had nothing. Things really changed between 1981 when I entered the labor force and 1988 or 1989 when I had my first 401(k).

Now, you just have to wait, worst case, until the next benefits enrollment period. My last several jobs, 401(k) deduction started day #1.
that blows. though you could probably invest better for yourself than with the company 401k. though the tax advantage is nice.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
This sounds a lot like me at 24. Except I was in NYC, and living in a 3BR with roommates.
My NYC friends paid huge rent compared to what I was paying in the Boston 'burbs. You needed a comp of about 2x to have parity between housing and state/city tax. I have a friend who went from a Boston tech job to Goldman-Sachs. They doubled his pay and he didn't have any change in standard of living. Taxes and housing ate it all. Back then, you could live in Boston Back Bay comfortably if you maxed out your Social Security contribution. I had lots of friends who did that and reverse-commuted. That's certainly not the case today.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
that blows. though you could probably invest better for yourself than with the company 401k. though the tax advantage is nice.

Yeah, like I made great investment decisions at age 25 or 30. There was no internet.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, like I made great investment decisions at age 25 or 30. There was no internet.
I guess the invest in index funds craze wasn't around then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance