Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times

Advertisements

So I got to thinking. With today's real estate market the advice is, if at all possible, to sell one home before downsizing and buying a new one. This allows you to offer cash for the purchase, or at least to prove that you are ready to go with a big down payment. But then you are sitting on that cash from the big house for a couple months. How about insurance? Can you actually get an umbrella liability policy when you temporarily don't own a home? How do people handle that, assuming they did not already have such a policy that they could carry over into the "dead" zone? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:27 PM

110 posts, read 73,083 times
I understand when the umbrella is purchased it is valid until it expires usually a year.
Changes in ownership should not matter.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So I got to thinking. With today's real estate market the advice is, if at all possible, to sell one home before downsizing and buying a new one. This allows you to offer cash for the purchase, or at least to prove that you are ready to go with a big down payment. But then you are sitting on that cash from the big house for a couple months. How about insurance? Can you actually get an umbrella liability policy when you temporarily don't own a home? How do people handle that, assuming they did not already have such a policy that they could carry over into the "dead" zone? Any ideas?
I buy umbrella insurance to increase the limits on my car insurance. It also increases the liability limits on my home as well.

As long as you own cars, you can have an umbrella policy. I would check with your insurance agent for exact details of the coverage provided.

Since you talk about having your home sold, I'm trying to understand exactly what risk(s) you are trying to insure against. Perhaps, you could elaborate a bit on that.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
id give the insurance company or broker a ring and ask.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:15 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I buy umbrella insurance to increase the limits on my car insurance. It also increases the liability limits on my home as well.

As long as you own cars, you can have an umbrella policy. I would check with your insurance agent for exact details of the coverage provided.

Since you talk about having your home sold, I'm trying to understand exactly what risk(s) you are trying to insure against. Perhaps, you could elaborate a bit on that.
Lots of opportunity for liability suits. Dog bites someone who develops gangrene. Horse kicks idiot in the man parts. Someone claims you slander them. Someone says "hold my hand while I swing over this big gaping hole"... You know, silly stuff that does not end well. Or maybe I am overthinking it.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:26 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Lots of opportunity for liability suits. Dog bites someone who develops gangrene. Horse kicks idiot in the man parts. Someone claims you slander them. Someone says "hold my hand while I swing over this big gaping hole"... You know, silly stuff that does not end well. Or maybe I am overthinking it.
No, you're not overthinking it. One of the most common things that umbrella policies protect against are disastrous auto crashes. Multiple people permanently crippled, ongoing medical bills... that sort of stuff can easily overwhelm the limits of a person's regular auto insurance coverage.

You don't need to own a home to benefit from umbrella coverage!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
I have practiced personal injury law for thirty-four years. Let me tell you why I maintain a $1,000,000 umbrella policy. It is not why you think.

I don't worry very much about being sued. I do worry a great deal about being struck by another driver who has either no insurance or very little insurance and unfortunately the roads abound with them. My umbrella policy increases my limits of uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage to $1.1 million dollars (umbrella plus basic policy). If anyone in my family is seriously injured in a car accident because of a deadbeat driver I know there will likely be adequate insurance to compensate us for the loss.

If all umbrella insurance did was increase liability limits, I probably wouldn't bother. I'm much less concerned that I will harm someone than they will harm me. A traffic accident is the major event that occurs to most people and the one to be most on guard about.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:53 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
i agree, that is why we have an umbrella policy and don't own a home .

what was interesting about our policies were , when we did own a home in an hoa in the pocono's the question came up as to:

since we have a neighborhood patrol in the development of resident volunteers what happens if they chase some kids out on rtv's or snow mobiles and the kids get hurt and the hoa is sued for more than the policy limits it has ?

the answer surprised us . we figured each homeowner would be responsible for any overage , but we did not know our homeowners and umbrella would not cover it . i called our insurer who confirmed that all coverage is only on acts by the insured and household members , not others .

so if someone elses action gets you sued , it will not be covered . geico said some insurers offer a co-op/condo/hoa rider to avoid this situation but they don't .

also any acts with a firearm are not covered if you get sued . discharging a firearm at someone is considered an intentional act and they don't cover intentional acts either

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-25-2018 at 03:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Before retiring, I had auto, homeowners & umbrella thru State Farm. After retiring, selling home, now living with daughter's family, SF would not renew umbrella with auto only, had to have Renter's policy also.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
my dad has an umbrella policy (and everything else) with state farm. he is the kind of guy that pays way too much for stuff like that because he never shops around. he got a ticket (probably driving while holding a cell phone) and his salesman called and said they were considering canceling his umbrella policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance