Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 PM

201 posts, read 389,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
It’s not entitled. Ok I’ll put a twist to it.

Two daughters. No grandkids.

250,000 to one and 50,000 to the other.

No loans. No grudges. Similar salaries. Good relationships. No other issues.

Fair??

I think absolutely not
What if the daughter in your twist who gets 250k lived close to mom, gave up her Saturdays every week to help mom grocery shop, take her to the salon, took time off of work to take mom to the doctor, etc while the daughter who got 50k moved several states away and only saw mom once every few years and called every so often? Over the course of 20 years, the daughter who got more could have spent thousands of hours helping mom. Do you still think it should be evenly split?

Old 08-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 days ago)

35,717 posts, read 18,065,864 times
Quote:
Sorry kid 2,3, and 4 because you were born 1 year, 2 years, and 4 years after granny passed you don’t get a dime. But your brother who is just a few years older than you has $43,000 and so do all of your cousins
Westcoast, that's what happens when grandparents die. The estate is distributed to the heirs that are alive at the time their estate is settled.

Didn't you say upthread that you only intend to have one child? So this isn't even an issue.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:00 PM

10,376 posts, read 8,018,796 times
Quote:
FYI

The wife is even more outraged then me so the drivel posted here is a fail

And yes the 215/85 is relevant
Then frankly your wife deserves to receive nothing. And if grandma was alive to see her behavior, nothing is probably what she would have received.

Greed and envy are deadly sins for a reason.

Quote:
Sorry kid 2,3, and 4 because you were born 1 year, 2 years, and 4 years after granny passed you don’t get a dime. But your brother who is just a few years older than you has $43,000 and so do all of your cousins
Yep, because kids 2, 3, and 4 never knew granny. Why should they be entitled to proceeds from the estate of a person they never even met?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 days ago)

westcoast, this is from my heart.

What you and your wife are doing here is going to create an enormous rift in the family, and will strand your daughter, an only child, from her 4 cousins.

I don't know if she has cousins on your side, or if you still are facing another extremely contentious fight over money when your parents pass on that might divide her from that side of the family too.

Money isn't everything. Family is. And if your daughter enjoys her relationship with her cousins, suck this one up.

It's a decision your MIL made, and it is most probably legally binding.

And years from now, your daughter will say well, I have cousins but I don't have a relationship with them. It was something about an inheritance. My parents were outraged that I wasn't given 4X the money each of my cousins were. *shrugs*

Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,567,982 times
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what you say.

You also teach them that just because they were born DOES NOT entitle them to ANYONE'S money.

You teach them that life is not "fair", that the will always be people who have more than them.

You teach them how to graciously appreciate ANY gift that is given AND not throw 2 year old tantrums because some one got more than them.
If I even remotely thought my husband would act this ungracious after being left 100k, I'd set his bed on fire with him in it THEN return the inheritance.

Sorry but this is Greediness and entitlement at its finest and absolutely reaffirms my view on not leaving large sums of money to anyone.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
westcoast, this is from my heart.

What you and your wife are doing here is going to create an enormous rift in the family, and will strand your daughter, an only child, from her 4 cousins.

I don't know if she has cousins on your side, or if you still are facing another extremely contentious fight over money when your parents pass on that might divide her from that side of the family too.

Money isn't everything. Family is. And if your daughter enjoys her relationship with her cousins, suck this one up.

It's a decision your MIL made, and it is most probably legally binding.

And years from now, your daughter will say well, I have cousins but I don't have a relationship with them. It was something about an inheritance. My parents were outraged that I wasn't given 4X the money each of my cousins were. *shrugs*
The cousin did not get 4xs the amount. Each individual kid got exactly the same amount. Legally the parents can no more spend the 1 year olds dough than you can. His kid was treated like everyone else.
Every kid has a nice start on a college fund. They can't take 4 year olds money and give it to 10 year old

This is flat out greed. Their mad because they didn't get more.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
The cousin did not get 4xs the amount. Each individual kid got exactly the same amount. Legally the parents can no more spend the 1 year olds dough than you can. His kid was treated like everyone else.
Every kid has a nice start on a college fund. They can't take 4 year olds money and give it to 10 year old

This is flat out greed. Their mad because they didn't get more.
Right. I know. That's what I'm saying.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Right. I know. That's what I'm saying.
Lol sorry, I getting sleep deprived. Doesn't matter, op and wife have already dug in that they are "victims" that were not treated fairly.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:32 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,135,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
What if the daughter in your twist who gets 250k lived close to mom, gave up her Saturdays every week to help mom grocery shop, take her to the salon, took time off of work to take mom to the doctor, etc while the daughter who got 50k moved several states away and only saw mom once every few years and called every so often? Over the course of 20 years, the daughter who got more could have spent thousands of hours helping mom. Do you still think it should be evenly split?
This is not the case. All live within 15 minutes of each other. All close. Granny drove herself and did her own things.

In your scenario I can see closer kid getting more. Those are different circumstances

Old 08-03-2018, 08:32 PM

151 posts, read 107,850 times
This thread gave me heartburn. OP, if I were a smaller person I might very well admit to feeling a certain amount of glee that your family got less than the other family as karmic payback for greed and ingratitude. But that would be unkind, especially since you all are grieving the death of a loved one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance