Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 PM

12 posts, read 8,052 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I live with my parents, no rent fees. Pretty much I just pay for my gym, supplements and cell phone subscription. I earn $1700/mo before taxes a taken out. I have never owned a car before.

Any advice on what to expect when purchasing your own car? What cars should I be looking for? What price range?

I was told to just visit a car dealership and get toyota, get your credit rating checked and then your pretty much at the mercy of the dealer. My credit rating sucks. Probably having $15-20,000 in bills/credit debt.

I basically just need to travel a few a days a week for my side business. I want to also eventually get two jobs to double my income (taking the bus wont allow me to work 2 jobs).

I am totally clueless about this. how much money should I save up in downpayment before doing this endeavor? I heard when they do credit check ratings then it lowers your score and also makes your car deals worse.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,045,307 times
You should ask your parents about how life works. Bank accounts, car payments, rent, etc. They are your closest references.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM

343 posts, read 353,466 times
The other nice surprise you get with buying from a dealership is the full coverage insurance requirement.
that usually means a couple of hundred per month by itself. Then they take your down payment, tell you that you do not make very much money, and then stuff you in a clunker with inflated interest rates.

My advice; depending on how much you save up, you are almost better off just buying a used car outright with cash. If you can pull together 2 or 3 grand, you can easily find something that runs well enough to make the basic drive around your local area. You can get basic liability coverage and own your ride without some asinine bank obligations.

Good luck in your future pursuits!

Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
The other nice surprise you get with buying from a dealership is the full coverage insurance requirement.
This is not the dealership imposing... this is the underwriter of the loan. The dealer could care less... The underwriter is the owner of the vehicle (the title remains in their name until paid for in full) and they want to protect their asset.

If you went and got a loan yourself and purchased from the dealer, the same requirement for full coverage insurance would apply.

If you went and got a loan yourself and purchased from a private seller, the same requirement for full coverage insurance would apply.

At the OP's monthly salary with the amount of debt, expect to have many underwriters of the loan to deny or expect a rather sizable downpayment to offset the risk of loan default. With this financial situation, I'd simply save and buy a cheap used car in cash.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:28 AM

12 posts, read 8,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
You should ask your parents about how life works. Bank accounts, car payments, rent, etc. They are your closest references.
Long story, but not as easy as it sounds. I can pm you for more if you wanna hear the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
that usually means a couple of hundred per month by itself. Then they take your down payment, tell you that you do not make very much money, and then stuff you in a clunker with inflated interest rates.

My advice; depending on how much you save up, you are almost better off just buying a used car outright with cash. If you can pull together 2 or 3 grand, you can easily find something that runs well enough to make the basic drive around your local area. You can get basic liability coverage and own your ride without some asinine bank obligations.

Good luck in your future pursuits!
Ah! Where do you advice to shop? Craigslist? Point me on the right direction to research online. And how do I get a checkup to make sure that it works? I'm trying to find out what type of mechanic to befriend etc.. there has to be some resources online about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This is not the dealership imposing... this is the underwriter of the loan. The dealer could care less... The underwriter is the owner of the vehicle (the title remains in their name until paid for in full) and they want to protect their asset.

If you went and got a loan yourself and purchased from the dealer, the same requirement for full coverage insurance would apply.

If you went and got a loan yourself and purchased from a private seller, the same requirement for full coverage insurance would apply.

At the OP's monthly salary with the amount of debt, expect to have many underwriters of the loan to deny or expect a rather sizable downpayment to offset the risk of loan default. With this financial situation, I'd simply save and buy a cheap used car in cash.
Ah makes sense.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdel80 View Post
Long story, but not as easy as it sounds. I can pm you for more if you wanna hear the story.

Ah! Where do you advice to shop? Craigslist? Point me on the right direction to research online. And how do I get a checkup to make sure that it works? I'm trying to find out what type of mechanic to befriend etc.. there has to be some resources online about this.
Pay cash, buy on Craigslist. Research the model before you buy. If possible have a mechanic check the car before you buy it. If it's cheap enough, maybe you can skip that part. But expect that it probably will need some repair work, before you even drive it. Budget at least $200 a month for insurance, registration, and gas. Maintenance and repairs will be extra, probably a lot extra. How much is anybody's guess.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Given your situation, it sounds like you're going to be buying a car from a private party since as someone already mentioned, the type of loans you'd likely qualify will be written by the bottom-feeders in the finance world, if that. So rather than go straight to craigs' or autotrader, just ask friends and coworkers if they know anybody selling a car for a decent price. Word of mouth decreases the probability that someone is going to rip you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdel80 View Post
LAnd how do I get a checkup to make sure that it works? I'm trying to find out what type of mechanic to befriend etc..

Honestly, why bother? It's going to cost you money just to get a shop to put a car on a lift and what if they do find something critically wrong with it? Assuming you're doing this with a complete stranger as the seller, you're not going to parlay that info into a deep discount and use it as leverage against them. They'll just wait for the next guy to come along instead and you'll be out that money altogether.

You're better off letting the internet do some work for you. Once you find a car you're interested in, just google the year/make/model and it's practically a given you'll see what typically goes wrong with it and what to watch for. That's free.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:57 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Buy and old Toyota or Honda for around $3000- $4000. That will get you one that has around 130-150K miles on it. This will last you years and years. Save up, and pay cash. Have a mechanic check it out before you buy; most sellers will allow you to do that. Buy from a private party, not from a dealership. Look into car insurance, gas costs, and maintenance costs (regular oil changes, etc.).

IMO you can't afford to own a car, even if someone gave you one. Insurance and all the rest can be expensive, and if you get in an accident, your insurance will go up. And if you have your money tied up in a car, you'll never be able to move out on your own and support yourself, unless you get a better-paying job.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:06 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
And if you do buy a vehicle from a used lot, remember that the price you think you've negotiated informally isn't going to be the one on the long form. Watch out for all the add-ons you didn't ask for, inflated VLF, "prep" fees, etc. Don't pay for any of it. Don't sign until you know for sure what you're actually buying.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:59 AM

811 posts, read 622,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Given your situation, it sounds like you're going to be buying a car from a private party since as someone already mentioned, the type of loans you'd likely qualify will be written by the bottom-feeders in the finance world, if that. So rather than go straight to craigs' or autotrader, just ask friends and coworkers if they know anybody selling a car for a decent price. Word of mouth decreases the probability that someone is going to rip you off.
Marvelous advice!

Quote:
Honestly, why bother? It's going to cost you money just to get a shop to put a car on a lift and what if they do find something critically wrong with it? Assuming you're doing this with a complete stranger as the seller, you're not going to parlay that info into a deep discount and use it as leverage against them. They'll just wait for the next guy to come along instead and you'll be out that money altogether.
Horrible advice!

Paying for a pre-purchase inspection on a used car, dealer or private party is the best money you'll ever spend. And sellers often negotiate the price down once they see in black and white what problems exist with their car. Most sellers aren't trying to "rip people off", they're just naive about the actual condition of their vehicle.

Obviously you are well aware of your debt problems; don't go into further debt with a car. Save and pay cash. You'll be surprised at how much you can get for $3k, especially if you're using it primarily for short, local commuting. Strike up a relationship with a shop (again, seek a referral from a friend, associate, or family member.), ask them if they know of any cars or if they would assist with finding a good one. When they find out this is your first car purchase I believe they will be tickled to help you.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
View detailed profiles of: