Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 PM

2,748 posts, read 1,785,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yes and no. For many of John Q Public, it's forced savings which is never a bad thing. I'd rather get a small refund of a few hundred dollars, than have to write a check. But you're right - the best option in theory is if you have to write a small check.
Actually, the best option in theory is to have to write as large a check as possible without having to pay an underpayment of estimated tax penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is an example of the pervasiveness of financial illiteracy in our society. These people claim they did not get a tax cut... well, they did, in terms of a bigger paycheck. If they noticed a much bigger paycheck why did they not save that extra money? These ignoramuses are equating a refund to how much they are taxed, when one does not know how to do basic math that is how it is I assume
How would they not know this? Even as a young, naive person just starting out in the workforce, I knew that.

Maybe these are the same people who think they shouldn't have to pay back student loans.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've owed taxes several times over the years and never had to pay any interest or penalties. Are you sure you don't mean if you are late paying when due?
For brevity I didn't mention that there are two "safe harbor" provisions that allow you to go interest-free (which I am assuming you fall under), but most taxpayers with steady incomes will owe interest and penalties even if they meet the filing deadline unless they owe less than $1000.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
No, the best practice is to first understand the simple IRS rules about the withholding/estimated taxes compared to tax liability, and to then make sure that the amount withheld or paid is within the safe harbor described in those rules. I've never incurred a payment penalty and haven't received a refund in the last couple of decades.
Well, if you are very efficient at computing the estimates then I suppose that might be so, but for most American workers (who are neither knowledgeable in the rules nor good at math), the opportunity cost of the time it takes to figure that out is more than the interest you would lose by just getting more money withheld from your check.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, it is technically better to owe money than to get a refund. A refund is your own money coming back to you that you loaned freely to the government. It's a bad idea. At a minimum you could've taken that money and put in high yield savings and got a few bucks interest. $2000 at 2% is 40 bucks, may not be much but you can go and have a nice dinner with it instead of donating it to Uncle Sam.

Also, these people act like it's free money that they are "relying" on... which is ridiculous. It's money that they already earned that's being returned to them. It's not a grant from the government. Whether they get it upfront or in the end makes no difference whatsoever which makes them financially ignorant.
most people would prefer to get $2k back at tax time instead of an extra $75 per paycheck.

I'm happy that I don't owe $10k like last year, but the $5k I owe this year will hurt too and my wife and I did adjust our W4.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:10 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,920 times
Our tax refund is less than last year - but that's a good thing! I'm self-employed, and have been trying to get it down to a 3 figure refund for years. We're getting back just over $1000 so I was not successful this year, but I really hate the idea of writing a 5th check to the IRS (my 4 estimated payments are plenty in my opinion).

I thought we'd save about $3000 under the new tax law and it turns out I was wrong - we saved $4000! I, for one, am a big fan of the TCJA.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 AM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The reality is our deficit has been pretty transparent to most Americans all our lives and it likely will continue...
I agree. People say they care, but they really don't. They think someone else's benefit should cut and/or someone else's taxes should be raised (besides theirs).

Quote:
The thought that i am paying less in tax rates 40 years later says as long as the world buys our debt, no one notices this debt in our daily lives ..
The problem with debt is it isn't a problem....until it is...and it can change on a dime. Just look at what happened in Greece.

Quote:
I got better things to worry about since i have no control over this ...
I agree on the no control issue. But it is worrying. It's why I think there will be a financial collapse in my lifetime that will make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

....Still playing the money game, but making alternative plans.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:15 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,973,015 times
growing up in the cold war we were all convinced we would never make it to older ages because we would have a nuclear war ...surprise , 45 years later here i am ...

life in the 1970's when i entered the work force looked like inflation had no where to go but up and gold was the only investment worth making ---surprise!!!!!! inflation has been tame , interest rates fell for decades and my taxes were at the lowest rates in my history of working ...surprise again ....,

rarely does what we all think and see play out no matter how obvious the outcome appears ...

but my financial plan does not rule out uncertainty , it plans for it and allows for it now .

Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 AM

25,590 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Our tax refund is less than last year - but that's a good thing! I'm self-employed, and have been trying to get it down to a 3 figure refund for years. We're getting back just over $1000 so I was not successful this year, but I really hate the idea of writing a 5th check to the IRS (my 4 estimated payments are plenty in my opinion).

I thought we'd save about $3000 under the new tax law and it turns out I was wrong - we saved $4000! I, for one, am a big fan of the TCJA.
Darn Someone who completely understands how much she pays and tries to maximize the profit from her labor.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
most people would prefer to get $2k back at tax time instead of an extra $75 per paycheck.

I'm happy that I don't owe $10k like last year, but the $5k I owe this year will hurt too and my wife and I did adjust our W4.
Possibly. But the problem is when most people would rather get $2k back than $100 per paycheck. In other words, they are worse off in the net. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance