Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,769 times

Advertisements

Question.. I know nothing about payroll checks, employee checks etc. excuse my lack of terminology.

Is an Employer required to show the payroll period on a payroll check?
The period of time/days the check represents?

Here's the story...

Friend of mine receives her payroll check twice a month. The business was recently bought and new ownership has changed banks and payroll Co.

The old payroll check showed hours and the payroll period.

New check & stub does not show the payroll period and the amount fluctuates week to week, but sometimes less is paid than what is expected.

She worked 7 days one week (worked her days off for a vactioning coworker)
but thinks she was paid 6 days. She can't tell because the period is not on the check. Due to various circumstances and lack of management at this business, she's fearful of questioning the new owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:25 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,724 times
Does she punch in on a time clock....if not, she needs to log her hours herself and keep track. Then she needs to go to HR and show them the hours she is not getting paid for and have them explain their system, ie, do they hold back over time a week.

My husband gets paid every 2 weeks, he keeps track of all hours work and compares them to the check. His place does hold back over time one week, but everything is posted on the check. I dont think I have ever seen a check without hours worked posted on it.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Does she punch in on a time clock....if not, she needs to log her hours herself and keep track. Then she needs to go to HR and show them the hours she is not getting paid for and have them explain their system, ie, do they hold back over time a week.

My husband gets paid every 2 weeks, he keeps track of all hours work and compares them to the check. His place does hold back over time one week, but everything is posted on the check. I dont think I have ever seen a check without hours worked posted on it.
Great advice. ALWAYS keep your own record of hours and what you expect as a gross. You can also get the tax tables showing what the deductions should be, but that is somewhat less important.

If what the payroll company is doing is not illegal, it should be. I'd be right there demanding a listing of the pay periods, my hours, and deductions. Something doesn't sound kosher. Even people who are paid in cash get a breakout on their pay envelopes. If the company balks at the request, then looking for another job would be prudent. The alternative is to bring the mess to the attention of the state unemployment department. Employers are supposed to contribute to unemployment, and the correct contribution requires proper and transparent accounting. These regulatory bodies can come down on an employer like a ton of bricks.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM

523 posts, read 1,680,823 times
Greg - In which state does your friend work? Knowing this maybe helpful in researching an answer to your question.

Also - I just wanted to point out the "bi-weekly payroll" and "receives her check twice a month" is not the same thing. With a bi-weekly payroll, checked are issued every two weeks which equates to 26 pay periods per year. With twice a month, there are 24 pay periods in a year.

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 04-11-2008 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM

86 posts, read 414,019 times
Showing no hours worked or pay period could be the set up to beat a future unemployment claim.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,769 times
Thanks for the information. She is working in California and its a mom and pop style, absentee ownership, type business. The new owners have very little experience.. its a restaurant. She doesnt punch in, but the manager fills out the hours. Some weeks he fills them at the beginning of the week,
rather than accurately each day.

She does talk about getting another job, but she walks out with quite a bit of cash each day, so its difficult to step down.

Im not sure about the biweekly, or twice a month question. I will look at her check and post exactly what it shows.

I have heard that if you report an employeer, 2 employees must report or confirm this problem for the state to take action. The prior owner used to used to not pay 1/2 hour per work day.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:48 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,823 times
The employer is probably violating all sorts of employment-related rules and regs. Just as an example -- how would overtime be calculated for your friend if no true and accurate start and stop times are recorded?

Also - since your friend is walking out with so much cash each day, I'll assume she's a waitress and the money is from tips. If this is the case, tip earnings are suppose to be recorded and taxed.

There's a ton of info at this State of California site: Assistance for employees and employers: *Answering your questions

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 04-12-2008 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
California regulates everything. Surely there is a law somewhere that deals with this.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
California regulates everything. Surely there is a law somewhere that deals with this.
LOL! In California, surely there must be dozens of laws. Would somebody please allow them to secede from the union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance