Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:20 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think he means that instead of initiating payment from an online checking account to a payee, his wife had authorized various entities to automatically pull money out of the account, whether it was owed or not.

I could be wrong.

I am sad for him. I remember what it felt like to drown in debt.

And what entities pull money out if it is not owed? Only thing I can think of is a charity pledge. In any event, certainly seems worth the $30 to end the authorized withdrawal on the bank's end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,035 times
What's a secret credit card? I have no idea what CC my wife has, that is her business. I don't monitor her spending, she is a big girl and I trust her 100% to be responsible with money.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Gosh someone on here who believes that not everything a spouse does is the other spouses business. Amazing. If shes paying the bills on her cc, her business not the husbands.
are you married? divorced?

Old 08-30-2019, 07:48 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
She does not seem to be able to control herself when it comes to debt.
Perhaps it would be possible for her, at your insistence, to implement some form of a credit freeze as if her identity had been stolen. This would prevent her from opening up new credit card accounts.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is very difficult to budget, she had over 20 accounts taking auto-payments out of our account, many of them for credit cards we no longer have. If you shut off the payment through the bank, they charge you $30 per account. You cannot just close the account, the bank will not close it and will keep paying them.
Perhaps you can terminate the auto-payment provision with the credit card company so that all future payments must be made via a paper check & snail mail, then lock your bank accounts so no future auto-payment can be implemented without your express consent.

In some fundamental sense, the problem isn't money and I suspect you realize it. The problem is something else, and money is just a symptom.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
What's a secret credit card? I have no idea what CC my wife has, that is her business. I don't monitor her spending, she is a big girl and I trust her 100% to be responsible with money.

Good for you. Many have happily "trusted" for years then paid dearly for it. It's not a problem... until it is.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Gosh someone on here who believes that not everything a spouse does is the other spouses business. Amazing. If shes paying the bills on her cc, her business not the husbands.
I understand your point, but I partially disagree. There are two cases:

Case A: She has significant non-marital assets. These assets are her sole & separate property in her own name that pre-date the marriage. If she purchases on credit and pays only with her sole & separate non-marital asset, then I agree with you.

Case B: She has no non-marital assets. In this case, any payment on her credit card is not with HER money; it is with THEIR money, and hence it is his business.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 08-30-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 08:04 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Good for you. Many have happily "trusted" for years then paid dearly for it. It's not a problem... until it is.
yep , that happened with my ex .... i stopped paying attention and she ended up getting us in to five figure credit card debt

Old 08-30-2019, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
even if the money is earned/pre marital wife's money, do you think she is keeping secret her purchase of shoes from you? she is keeping secret her payment for 1 night at a local hotel and a bunch of sex toys that you arent using.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The word in bold is what the entire issue hinges upon.
That's important, of course, but it isn't the only thing that is important. WHAT MONEY is she using to pay the bill and WHO OWNS THAT MONEY?

If the money she's using to pay the debt comes from her separate, non-marital asset assets (funds that pre-date the marriage) then it is clearly her decision to make, and her decision to keep it secret from her husband is her business. I wouldn't keep it secret, but that's me.

If instead the money she's using to pay the debt comes from their joint savings & current income -- that's a problem, as it is THEIR jointly owned money rather than her separately owned money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance