Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The fact of the matter is that the superstar cities like NYC, SF, Boston, etc., are extremely stratified. The poor get locked into place there with generous safety net benefits. If you're on some sort of rent subsidy or free housing, a poor man's transit pass/don't own a car, blue state government insurance for the poor, etc., you can't just up and move to a cheaper place. The benefits give you enough to live on, but you're generally not going to have enough cash on hand to relocate and you'd lose the benefits in the interim, even if you might "get ahead" long term by doing so.

The top 10%, maybe a little lower, with the superstar jobs that really are consolidated in the superstar cities can afford it. The housing market in places like that is largely decoupled from standard W-2 wage income. Think big stock options, foreign money, etc.

Depending on how far you want to stretch the top and bottom, probably 60%-80% of the people in the superstar cities would be better off if they relocated to an area with more reasonable housing. It's the housing costs that have far ballooned past any wage gains that are the problem.
I generally agree with this broad analysis. So why do those middle 30%-80% of wage earners still stay in the "super star" cities? Unlike the poor who are getting welfare and financially shackled, the middle class do have the funds to move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 01:37 AM

106,647 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
I generally agree with this broad analysis. So why do those middle 30%-80% of wage earners still stay in the "super star" cities? Unlike the poor who are getting welfare and financially shackled, the middle class do have the funds to move out.
Because super star cities usually offer perks . more than half of all rentals here housing millions are rent stabilized , there are no income restrictions for an apartment ...there are senior programs where if the rent takes more then x-amount of your income you never get another rent increase ... we have lots of different perks like affordable housing developments too

Old 10-04-2019, 02:26 AM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 66,912 times
The classic Lower, Middle, Upper income classes look a little different once you separate them into $5,000 dollar Pay Grades.

The Lower 90% of wage earners are represented by the first 20 Pay Grades.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Pay Grade 1. $0000-$5000=13.000%----@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Pay Grade 2. $5000-$10000=8.000%----@@@@@@@@
Pay Grade 3. $10000- $15000=7.2.%----@@@@@@@
Pay Grade 4. $15000- $20000=6.8.%----@@@@@@
Pay Grade 5. $20000-$25000=6.70%----@@@@@@
Pay Grade 6. $25000-$30000=6.40%----@@@@@@
Pay Grade 7. $30000-$35000=6.10%----@@@@@@
Pay Grade 8. $35000-$40000=5.50%----@@@@@
Pay Grade 9. $40000-$45000=4.90%----@@@@@
Pay Grade 10. $45000-$50000=4.4%----@@@@
Pay Grade 11. $50000-$55000=3.8%----@@@
Pay Grade 12. $55000-$60000=3.3%----@@@
Pay Grade 13. $60000-$65000=2.8%----@@@
Pay Grade 14. $65000-$70000=2.4%----@@
Pay Grade 15. $70000-$75000=2.1%----@@
Pay Grade 16. $75000-$80000=1.8%----@@
Pay Grade 17. $80000-$85000=1.6%----@@
Pay Grade 18. $85000-$90000=1.4%----@
Pay Grade 19. $90000-$95000=1.2%----@
Pay Grade 20. $95000-$10000=1.0%----@

The Upper 10% of wage earners are represented by the last 9,980 Pay Grades.

Pay Grade 10,000. $49,995,000-$50,000,000= <1.0%

Old 10-07-2019, 07:21 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Personally, I think it's a combination of what you know and your local support system combined with inertia.

A lot of people aren't willing to make changes in any part of their lives, even if intellectually they know there will be improved outcomes from making those changes. Even if you don't make a lot of money, if your family, friends, etc., are there, it's tough to leave.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:28 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Personally, I think it's a combination of what you know and your local support system combined with inertia.

A lot of people aren't willing to make changes in any part of their lives, even if intellectually they know there will be improved outcomes from making those changes. Even if you don't make a lot of money, if your family, friends, etc., are there, it's tough to leave.
I think this is broadly correct. You're friends and family are there, it's all you know. All my friends on the coasts think if you live in the middle of the country all there is to do is watch tv, watch netflix, and eat at fast food restaurants. While they have tons of nice restaurants, great places to socialize, great parks, more "culture" (which ironically enough no one can really define for me), etc. So,sure, if you have all that great stuff and if you moved to the middle of the country all you'd have to do is watch tv and eat at taco bell, why wouldn't you stay regardless of the costs? The problem is their stereotype of the middle of the country is completely wrong, unless you are in tiny little towns. The one thing the big cities do typically have is a larger and more diverse social scene and if you eat at 5* restaurants all the time that too.

My idea of a social scene is hanging out with friends at one of our houses and letting the kids play in the backyard. Now 10 years ago, it would have been happy hours, networking, nights out at the "bars", etc. My idea of a nice restaurant is a 2 inch Cowboy Ribeye on my grill (never been much of a foodie) and my idea of hobbies is kayaking on the lake, mountain biking, and hiking. Sure, you could drive 2-3 hours outside of NYC, Boston, or San Fran to do that too....but I could drive 2-3 hours from where I'm at to visit a 5* restaurant or get to a great bar scene and given I do one 2-3x a week and the other once every 2-3 months...I know which I'd prefer to be 15 minutes from. I also...hate traffic I constantly hear my friends in San Fran, LA, DC, and NYC talk about their 1 hour commutes each way. So a 8-5 job quickly turns into a 7-6. You're life literally becomes...wake up, go to work, come home eat dinner, relax for an hour (or workout) and then go to bed, rinse...repeat. I like the extra ~7 hours per workweek I get back with a more normal commute. But to each his/her own. If you want to feel important and like you are part of the center of a booming city...you do you.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:18 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I think this is broadly correct. You're friends and family are there, it's all you know. All my friends on the coasts think if you live in the middle of the country all there is to do is watch tv, watch netflix, and eat at fast food restaurants. While they have tons of nice restaurants, great places to socialize, great parks, more "culture" (which ironically enough no one can really define for me), etc. So,sure, if you have all that great stuff and if you moved to the middle of the country all you'd have to do is watch tv and eat at taco bell, why wouldn't you stay regardless of the costs? The problem is their stereotype of the middle of the country is completely wrong, unless you are in tiny little towns. The one thing the big cities do typically have is a larger and more diverse social scene and if you eat at 5* restaurants all the time that too.

My idea of a social scene is hanging out with friends at one of our houses and letting the kids play in the backyard. Now 10 years ago, it would have been happy hours, networking, nights out at the "bars", etc. My idea of a nice restaurant is a 2 inch Cowboy Ribeye on my grill (never been much of a foodie) and my idea of hobbies is kayaking on the lake, mountain biking, and hiking. Sure, you could drive 2-3 hours outside of NYC, Boston, or San Fran to do that too....but I could drive 2-3 hours from where I'm at to visit a 5* restaurant or get to a great bar scene and given I do one 2-3x a week and the other once every 2-3 months...I know which I'd prefer to be 15 minutes from. I also...hate traffic I constantly hear my friends in San Fran, LA, DC, and NYC talk about their 1 hour commutes each way. So a 8-5 job quickly turns into a 7-6. You're life literally becomes...wake up, go to work, come home eat dinner, relax for an hour (or workout) and then go to bed, rinse...repeat. I like the extra ~7 hours per workweek I get back with a more normal commute. But to each his/her own. If you want to feel important and like you are part of the center of a booming city...you do you.
There is a huge gap between the superstar cities and true flyover country.

I used to work in rural southwest Virginia. There's no way I'd ever live there. Few selections on anything. An hour away from a basic hospital. 2-3 hours from a real hospital. Spotty cell service, well water, etc. It's just a horrible quality of life.

I used to live in Carmel, IN. It's a very affluent area with a great civic culture. You get the suburban benefits at a fraction of the cost of living of superstar cities.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
The biggest gap is the lack of understanding for how FEW of our total population are affected.
15-20% of us live within those areas but still only about half of those can do well there.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:

I used to work in rural southwest Virginia. There's no way I'd ever live there. Few selections on anything. An hour away from a basic hospital. 2-3 hours from a real hospital. Spotty cell service, well water, etc. It's just a horrible quality of life.

I used to live in Carmel, IN. It's a very affluent area with a great civic culture. You get the suburban benefits at a fraction of the cost of living of superstar cities.
yes there is, but I don't think many people that are choosing between superstar cities and "flyover country" are choosing between New York City and Lebanon, Missouri. They are choosing between NYC and Kansas City or Dallas, or Louisville, etc. I would guess most people in flyover country aren't completely rural, they probably live within 20-30 minutes of metros that are 250k+ in size.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:10 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
yes there is, but I don't think many people that are choosing between superstar cities and "flyover country" are choosing between New York City and Lebanon, Missouri. They are choosing between NYC and Kansas City or Dallas, or Louisville, etc. I would guess most people in flyover country aren't completely rural, they probably live within 20-30 minutes of metros that are 250k+ in size.
I live in the DC area mostly because I have a good job here. That is the big enchilada. This affords me a standard of living that I want for myself and my family.

If I could have a similar job and standard of living in Kansas City, then I would have no problem moving there. It would also help to be the nation's capital (cool points for good economy) although that is not necessary.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Because super star cities usually offer perks . more than half of all rentals here housing millions are rent stabilized , there are no income restrictions for an apartment ...there are senior programs where if the rent takes more then x-amount of your income you never get another rent increase ... we have lots of different perks like affordable housing developments too
OK. So it seems to me the middle class shouldn't be complaining about it becoming too expensive to live in these cities if they get all of the perks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance