Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,107,416 times

Advertisements

I have a question and I'm not sure how to ask it without sounding like a total idiot.

I sent emails to 3 of my local tv stations requesting that they air some older tv sitcoms. The shows I requested used to show on the local channels maybe around 10 years ago or so.

I got a reply from one of the stations and they said they couldn't show them because they didn't own the copyright to those shows. I was confused because years ago they did air these shows.

The second reply I got from the other station was that they weren't able to get those shows because of cable channel contracts.

So, now I am even more confused. Because where I am I have 3 local channels and all 3 of them used to show all these shows.

Take for instance The Andy Griffith Show. That show used to be on several times a day and on different local and cable channels. But now it is on only one 1 cable channel that I am aware of.

Does anyone have any type of knowledge on this? And could you explain to me how it all works?

I hope I wasn't too confusing. And I wasn't sure if I should ask this here or in the TV Forum. But it does have to do with business so I put it here.

If anyone can help, thanks.

Last edited by missncr; 04-22-2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: left out a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,981 times
Not all network stations are owned by their parent company. For example WSB in Atlanta is owned by Cox Communications and not Disney even though it is an ABC affiliate. So they don't have any inherent rights to syndicated ABC shows. And even if they did, not every show on a network is owned by that network. For example Scrubs is on NBC but it is owned by Disney (ABC) so they control the syndication rights. Also, many syndicated shows have exclusive deals with cable channels so their reruns cannot be shown anywhere else. An example of this is original Law & Order on TNT.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,016,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Not all network stations are owned by their parent company. For example WSB in Atlanta is owned by Cox Communications and not Disney even though it is an ABC affiliate. So they don't have any inherent rights to syndicated ABC shows. And even if they did, not every show on a network is owned by that network. For example Scrubs is on NBC but it is owned by Disney (ABC) so they control the syndication rights. Also, many syndicated shows have exclusive deals with cable channels so their reruns cannot be shown anywhere else. An example of this is original Law & Order on TNT.
That puts it rather nicely and well said.. In other words.. the people who own the shows will sell their syndication rights to the highest bidder for a period of time. Those tv stations will then have the rights to show those re-runs on their channels.. Not all shows that were shown on ABC/CBS/NBC are able to be shown on those channels anymore.. they do not have the syndication rights to run the re-runs... sounds confusing.. but really it isnt.. it is all about the buckies baby!!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
OK. I kind of understand. I guess.

So they must have changed the way it used to be.

So since TVLand has The Andy Griffith Show it is TVLand that is not allowing any other channel to air it? Would that mean they have sole exclusive rights to it?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
That puts it rather nicely and well said.. In other words.. the people who own the shows will sell their syndication rights to the highest bidder for a period of time. Those tv stations will then have the rights to show those re-runs on their channels.. Not all shows that were shown on ABC/CBS/NBC are able to be shown on those channels anymore.. they do not have the syndication rights to run the re-runs... sounds confusing.. but really it isnt.. it is all about the buckies baby!!
I know TVLand has had The Andy Griffith Show for quite sometime now. And they will have that show until the year 2010 or 2011, I think. I don't think that is fair at all.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,016,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
OK. I kind of understand. I guess.

So they must have changed the way it used to be.

So since TVLand has The Andy Griffith Show it is TVLand that is not allowing any other channel to air it? Would that mean they have sole exclusive rights to it?
If TVLand owns the rights to the show.. yeap... but it could be someone else who sold the re-broadcast rights solely to TV-Land..

Take example for the NFL Debacle.. Certain games can only be viewed by satellitte broadcasters.. and the NFL Channel.. most of the cable viewers go with out.. because they havent been sold the rights to rebroadcast (or refuse to pay for em, whichever way you prefer to look at it) So there fore if you want to watch certain NFL games.. you have to go to Satellite to view it...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
If TVLand owns the rights to the show.. yeap... but it could be someone else who sold the re-broadcast rights solely to TV-Land..

Take example for the NFL Debacle.. Certain games can only be viewed by satellitte broadcasters.. and the NFL Channel.. most of the cable viewers go with out.. because they havent been sold the rights to rebroadcast (or refuse to pay for em, whichever way you prefer to look at it) So there fore if you want to watch certain NFL games.. you have to go to Satellite to view it...
I understand what you said about football games. So, I guess tv shows are in the same boat.

So once TVLand's contract is up with The Andy Griffith Show then it goes to who ever bids the highest, right? But then again when the contract is up can TVLand renew it again for another 5 years?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,775,597 times
yea basically whoever owns the TV rights will license it either exclusively or non-exclusively to stations or networks for a duration of time. after that period(or even before) rights for the next duration will be sold. what probably happened with andy griffith is that the owner of the tv rights for that show licensed exclusive rights(for more money) rather than dozens of non-exclusive licenses to local stations

family guy has some non-exclusive contracts. cartoon network(adult swim) and tbs both air reruns as well as fox. fox and cartoon network show new episodes as well(cartoon network usually a week after fox).

recently, futurama had an exclusive contract with cartoon network. prior to the contract being up, the exclusive rights were sold to comedy central for the next period. so as of the end of last year, cartoon network can no longer show the show and comedy central has exclusive tv rights.

i love lucy and cops are other examples of shows that dont have exclusive tv rights deals as they show on multiple stations

Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
yea basically whoever owns the TV rights will license it either exclusively or non-exclusively to stations or networks for a duration of time. after that period(or even before) rights for the next duration will be sold. what probably happened with andy griffith is that the owner of the tv rights for that show licensed exclusive rights(for more money) rather than dozens of non-exclusive licenses to local stations

family guy has some non-exclusive contracts. cartoon network(adult swim) and tbs both air reruns as well as fox. fox and cartoon network show new episodes as well(cartoon network usually a week after fox).

recently, futurama had an exclusive contract with cartoon network. prior to the contract being up, the exclusive rights were sold to comedy central for the next period. so as of the end of last year, cartoon network can no longer show the show and comedy central has exclusive tv rights.

i love lucy and cops are other examples of shows that dont have exclusive tv rights deals as they show on multiple stations
I only get I love Lucy on 1 channel (which is cable) where I am and guess which cable channel? TVLand lol.

So what you are saying is when The Andy Griffith Show contract is up. It won't go back to TVLand even if TVLand wants to renew it, it will go to a different buyer?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,775,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
I only get I love Lucy on 1 channel (which is cable) where I am and guess which cable channel? TVLand lol.

So what you are saying is when The Andy Griffith Show contract is up. It won't go back to TVLand even if TVLand wants to renew it, it will go to a different buyer?
Lucy also shows on Fox

As far as Andy Griffith, it will go to the highest bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance