Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Why not just buy his books instead?

Ask him does he take credit cards to pay for the seminar. Tell me what he says. That should tell you if he really advocates not using credit cards.
The books are okay -- but from my perspective the radio call-in show is best. Since it is a dynamic form, like this forum here, you can see the general models applied to many various situations. Have not seen his live show, but that is not really my style, anyway.

Per you specific question -- he ONLY takes debit cards, not credit cards. If someone cannot afford it, usually just ask and he will comp you, or someone will pay for you. Of course you are obligated to do the same for others once you have benefited from it.

When the books go "on sale" I buy them in lots and give them away. While that "costs" me ten dollars a copy, I have saved and made many thousands for myself and family following his advice that I got for free. Pretty good return on that.

It is all a "mission" thing if you follow the meaning. Try to tune in the show on any given Friday afternoon. That is when they do "I am debt free" segment. Folks call in after becoming free from large and crippling debts. The joy apparent makes it pretty clear it is a salvation and freedom-from-debt-bondage thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
I listen to Dave pretty much every day, it amazes me the messes some people get themselves in! It's also refreshing to hear the debt free calls on Friday's, a show that finally lauds people for doing a good thing, what a novel idea! Gives me encouragement to continue to work at ridding ourselves of our mortgage, even though we've still got a long ways to go.

One of his books that does not get as much pub as The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace University is More than Enough, good read for all Americans who continue to buy into the lies that material wealth = happiness.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,843,476 times
I know that Financial Peace University has been put on at our church several times as a service to members...and it has helped several friends of ours. It sounds like the same thing my dad always used to say to us growing up, so I think it's just good that yet another guy is getting people listen to age-old wisdom about debt and consuming...

Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,843,476 times
I know that Financial Peace University has been put on at our church several times as a service to members...and it has helped several friends of ours. It sounds like the same thing my dad always used to say to us growing up, so I think it's just good that yet another guy is getting people listen to age-old wisdom about debt and consuming...

Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Wahta do you expect when a person who writes books, etc.. gives a seminar....You pay to go there, he will promote his book and more, and you end up having less money and maybe a positive aditude that soon will be forgotten...If you just watch many of these shows you will or will not get the same message and it won't cost you gas money, etc... and it will save you time.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,083 times
Many many yrs ago I did a house for his "right hand" man and when the job was done he refused to pay me the final bill. Instead he handed me the Ransey books and said this will save you more than what you are charging. I fought him for months and never collected. His right hand wasn't following his bosses example, but yea he saves money by screwing people & I am not the only one. Like I said this was NOT Dave Ramsey but an assistant.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
I have read his books and listened to his radio show, but I REALLY did enjoy going to his Live Event. Very motivating. They usually have discount codes that you can use to get tickets for less, although I didn't know it till after I'd bought mine (I think they were $31 each). Someone posted the code on Craigslist in my city the day after I bought my tickets. If you want to go, you won't be disappointed. Yes, it's all common sense; yes, it's all things he says in other forums. But it's very motivating to see him in person. I enjoyed it very much.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,703,840 times
I listen to Dave everyday. Yes, he is very common sense. The best thing I like is he motivates to want to take action. It is also nice to hear others stories, and that it is possible to dump debt. I don't agree with everything he says, but he has kept my interest in paying off debt. For that, I find him valuable.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I listen to Dave everyday. Yes, he is very common sense. The best thing I like is he motivates to want to take action. It is also nice to hear others stories, and that it is possible to dump debt. I don't agree with everything he says, but he has kept my interest in paying off debt. For that, I find him valuable.
Well put, I agree.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 46,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Why not just buy his books instead?

Ask him does he take credit cards to pay for the seminar. Tell me what he says. That should tell you if he really advocates not using credit cards.
Yes, they do take credit cards. He does use his debit card.
Frankly, get it in the library for free. Then apply.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance