Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,849 times

Advertisements

I agree with a lot of the posters above, I used to listen to him (only thing on the radio at that hour other than Rush) as much to laugh to myself about how stupid so many people are.

I recently noticed that one of his people (trust me it's not him coming) is going to be doing an event at a church in our town. If I read the notice correctly it's $90! I think I'll go back and look at the notice again. If so that's a complete ripoff because the event are being held in and sponsored by a church so they're probably not charging for the space.

That said I do know some people that it's helped. We have some friends who started listening to him (they're in their late '50s and doing quite well) and they took both of their kids and spouses. Last time I talked to the dad he said both kids are still with it and the one seems to have caught the "religion" of getting out of debt.

Since I was raised in a family that practiced what he preaches and my wife's family was very poor we've never had to change to his system. Instead we just keep doing what we do. We do have credit cards and use them for just about any purchase since it no longer takes any time for the readers to process the transaction.

And we have now bought TWO NEW CARS. While we were working we never bought new cars but now that we're retired and reached "critical mass" (some of you will know what that means) we can afford to splurge on them. That and the fact that we will keep them 10 years, or 100,000 miles, whichever comes LAST.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,987,393 times
I find him very inspiring... I really enjoy his books. I've only heard him once, because I'm typically busy in the afternoon and don't turn on the radio/tv. I should make more of an effort to listen. We don't have any debt other than one car payment, which we plan to pay off this year, a year early. After that's paid off, we'll work on building a large savings account (we already have surpassed the $1,000 that he recommends to start off with), then will start saving like crazy for a house. I know that it's all common sense, but it's comforting to read the testimonials of poeple who were waaaaaaay worse off than we were when we discovered Dave Ramsey!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,170,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Living on less than you make isn't common sense. I grew up with a mother who spent everything my father made and then a good bit more. <snip>

Common sense? I guess if you grew up in a home with normal parents that practiced responsible financial behavior. Sadly mine didnt'.
Sorry, but in my opinion, spending less than you make is still common sense. It's just that your family didn't have any.

If it takes Dave Ramsey to get you (the generic "you," not mrs1885) to understand a fundamental, common sense principle, so be it. But I am SO sick of hearing his cult followers preach his gospel as if it were some revelation to mankind. Many of us have been living within our means for ... oh ... generations. It's not new. And quite frankly, some of the Ramseyites who mindlessly prescribe his system for every financial ailment posted here are a little scary.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Sorry, but in my opinion, spending less than you make is still common sense. It's just that your family didn't have any.

If it takes Dave Ramsey to get you (the generic "you," not mrs1885) to understand a fundamental, common sense principle, so be it. But I am SO sick of hearing his cult followers preach his gospel as if it were some revelation to mankind. Many of us have been living within our means for ... oh ... generations. It's not new. And quite frankly, some of the Ramseyites who mindlessly prescribe his system for every financial ailment posted here are a little scary.
While its true that common sense should be obvious, the messages telling us to spend are profound! Spend for lifestyle, spend for health, you NEED a house, spend for education, etc. Your experience is not a common one, Skaternum.

I think Dave Ramsey is one of few people that have been able to tap a market and bring a message that is generally good and simple. Sure, its not sophisticated, but the change that can happen when people grow up and start living a life they can afford is good for marriages. Its good for families. Reducing him to a cult and his followers "mindless ramseyites" I think is a bit harsh. Is it REALLY scary?

These people are making a conscious choice to change. Some people get really preachy about it and they want to become the change they want to see. In that regard, it can be annoying. Lets keep things in context and not reduce it to hyperbole.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Has anyone here been to one of his seminars?

We were thinking it would be a good thing to go to... IF it's informational. If it is just a sales pitch to buy his coaching, I'm not interested.

Do you know?
I have listened to Dave Ramsey for about three or four years now. Truthfully, Dave is totally on autopilot. Fore more than three years I have heard Dave answer every question with exactly the same reply. I know his routine so well, that if he were to ever get sick, I could fill in for him on the show (me and the other 15,000 regular listeners).

Truly. You can buy his book and listen to his show daily and you will get every morsel of information that will ever possibly hear Dave utter. Other than the "entertainment value" of going to the seminar and watching the antics that ensue as Dave works at getting his ideas across. You aren't going to hear anything new or different then just by reading and listening. And it is a WHOLE lot cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, please I love Dave (obviously, I have been listening to him say the exact same thing for three years!!!!) And I think that he has a very important message that people should listen to and follow. *But* when it comes to good old Dave, there is nothing new under the sun and once you have learned his routine, it never ever varies one bit. Trust me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,960,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
*But* when it comes to good old Dave, there is nothing new under the sun and once you have learned his routine, it never ever varies one bit. Trust me.
It makes me wonder if it ever needs to vary, like the advice he provides is a standard, and possibly timeless.

I envision his popularity growing to a certain point (a la Dr. Phil) and cresting from there.

Nonetheless, he provides good advice (even if it does get tired), and there will always be people out there who need it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It makes me wonder if it ever needs to vary, like the advice he provides is a standard, and possibly timeless.

I envision his popularity growing to a certain point (a la Dr. Phil) and cresting from there.

Nonetheless, he provides good advice (even if it does get tired), and there will always be people out there who need it.
Of all the calls that I have heard (and there have been several hundred, I'm sure), in my very humble opinion, there probably have been less than 10 that I think might have been "exceptions" to the rule. I agree that one of the reason that Dave is so inflexible about his program is that, by golly, it works like a charm and does not need to be modified except in the most EXTREME of cases.

And yes, he has vastly improved the quality of life for many, many people. I hope I didn't mean to sound over-critical of him in my previous post. I recommend his show daily to people. I think he is a genius. Look the guy is a millionaire, who am *I* to criticize how he does things. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,783 times
Some people just don't like popular science and culture. Now we have popular economics, I get it. People have a right to not like him, but I disagree with the notion that people who follow him are mindless buffoons. They may need a little exposure to some new ideas and a little deprogramming.

They may have been smacked upside the head with a financial kick and they want to minister (his callers use the word ministry quite a bit) his teachings. Sure, it can be annoying.

But for someone so harmless and rudimentary as Dave Ramsey, I can't see any harm in it. I like him though, but I'm by no means a mindless Ramseyite. lol

I like that term Ramseyite!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times
I have one person that I work with that has become a complete Dave Ramsey robot and while it has certainly helped his bills I think his life has become bleak. He cuts coupons and eats hamburger helper since all he thinks about his the "future retirement" he seems very uncaring and talks scathing about "people like that" when refering to disabled people. I see some sort of mean sick thought process going on with little room for acceptance of others and differeing opinions.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,126,645 times
His advice on credit cards is stupid if you ask me. What in the world is bad about building credit if you live whithin your means and pay your balance off every month. How does he think people buy a house or car or a school loan with no credit history??

I also disagree with his philosophy of paying off your home as fast as you can. Why would you tie up such a large amount of cash only to get a 3% return after taxes.

Other than that I think he gives good advice. Most of it is common sense though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance