Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 08:39 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,858,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It is entirely true.

People who are good with money, don't get themselves into consumer debt are not the people who need Ramsey. I don't know how that could be more clear. It's been said over and over on this thread. Ramsey doesn't believe lots of things, use of credit cards being one of those things. For the people who can't resist running up their credit cards and are always deep in debt and can't seem to get their way out and stay out of debt, he's right. Just like no one in their right mind would encourage an alcoholic to drink, someone who is unable to control their spending and owes thousands in credit card debt should not be using credit cards regardless of how awesome cash back and rewards might be.

Complaining about Ramsey isn't going to make him change his beliefs or his advice.

As for the title of this thread, the question posed can be changed to:

"What Do Dave Ramsey Non-Followers Do Now?"

They obsess about Dave Ramsey and his financial baby steps for others, even though they are not Ramsey's target audience because they are responsible with spending and use of credit and debt.

I am someone who doesn't need to follow Ramsey's steps because, as it turns out, I already completed 6 of the 7 steps before I ever heard of him. I pay off my CCs every month and have since I first got my own cards 35+ years ago. I am not his target audience. I still see value in what he teaches because few others, if anyone, address the specific target market he does: people who are deep in debt.

All the people who are complaining about Ramsey and his financial steps, why don't you get off your duffs and come up with a better plan *for people deep in debt.* Then you can promote this better plan to those who need it.
No need to come up with a better plan. There is already free credit counseling available to everyone. That seems to be a better plan for anyone struggling with debt than spending $129.99 for Ramsey’s class. And it’s amusing that one form of payment for his help on his sales website is ........ a Credit Card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 08:57 AM

18,449 posts, read 15,909,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No need to come up with a better plan. There is already free credit counseling available to everyone. That seems to be a better plan for anyone struggling with debt than spending $129.99 for Ramsey’s class. And it’s amusing that one form of payment for his help on his sales website is ........ a Credit Card.
His books are available at many libraries. FREE. Doesn't require attending a class. Plus his radio show is free to listen to as well. I read one of his books many years ago, borrowed from the library. He has a free 2 week trial on his website where someone can go through his Financial Peace University classes/videos. Then cancel on day 14. Some churches may offer his financial lessons for free as well. More than 1 way to skin the proverbial cat.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:09 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,858,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
His books are available at many libraries. FREE. Doesn't require attending a class. Plus his radio show is free to listen to as well. I read one of his books many years ago, borrowed from the library. He has a free 2 week trial on his website where someone can go through his Financial Peace University classes/videos. Then cancel on day 14. Some churches may offer his financial lessons for free as well. More than 1 way to skin the proverbial cat.
That’s good to know. I’m glad people deeply in debt don’t have to incur even more debt to get his program. Hope it helps them to figure out how to wrangle their finances appropriately.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:35 AM

5,910 posts, read 4,463,161 times
Quote:

That’s always the playbook. It’s like those people selling doomsday that the USD is going to collapse.

But they’re more than happy to accept payment in USD.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,301,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because he believes something might happen that one month when you can't cover the card, And once you hit one month what if there is no recovery in subsequent months? And then you become the slave to the lender, Proverbs 22:7. Where as with the cash in envelopes that would have been impossible.
I think that he also says that people tend to spend more when it's on plastic than if you have to shell out cash. It's easy to throw a couple of more items in the basket when you know that you're going to just charge it.

So, in DR's world, he does apply the not using CCs as general advice to all who care to listen. Whether you have a debt problem or not.

ETA -- PSA/Full Disclosure: I use credit cards.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:45 AM

3,522 posts, read 7,809,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
I'm a fan of Dave Ramsey, I wish he would stop encouraging people to use debit cards only. It's way too risky in today's world.
I agree. So long as your careful with your use of Credit Cards they can be a real benefit. While it's true your not responsible for fraud charges on your back account, a thief could still empty your account with a stolen debt card. Now you waiting weeks for the bank to refund your money, Checks you wrote are bouncing, you may not be be able to buy gas for your car to get to work. It a real inconvenience.

Now with a credit card, even if they charge a million dollars in fraud changes on your card, your not responsible for any of it, (Assuming you notify them of the fraud right away) no interest owed, no bounced checks, no borrowing money from your parents cause your bank account is zero till you get your next paycheck or the bank reimburses you.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:49 PM

263 posts, read 94,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I've noticed that a lot of stores and pharmacies in my area won't accept cash right now. For all of those Dave Ramsey followers who eschew credit cards, what are they doing during the this time? The envelope system maybe doesn't work quite as well during a pandemic.
It works perfectly fine but so does the bank debit card. We leave little in that checking account in case issues arise.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,531,630 times
Quote:
He purposely asks people to use a DEBIT CARD for purchasing his products.

If it's hot a visa logo, though unless they study the prefix numbers, they would not necessarily know what kind of card one used.

Hey, he makes plenty of money at it, and has for 30some years.

So who is anyone WITHOUT a $55million net worth to argue?

Old 07-07-2020, 07:13 PM

26,216 posts, read 21,722,463 times
So someone with a 55 million dollar net worth is never wrong or knowingly gives less than optimal advice for their own overall gain?

Old 07-07-2020, 07:41 PM

3,305 posts, read 2,393,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I've noticed that a lot of stores and pharmacies in my area won't accept cash right now. For all of those Dave Ramsey followers who eschew credit cards, what are they doing during the this time? The envelope system maybe doesn't work quite as well during a pandemic.
I listen to Ramsey but I use credit card. I pay the balance of every month haven’t carried a balance over for 20 years. I use points toWard the balance. Also, you get tons of protection using a credit card id you need to dispute a charge. You are in your own with a debit card. My credit score is 825 because of my credit cards. I am using less than 1% of the total available. I think Ramsey is afraid that most people are so weak and undisciplined, they will charge more they can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance