Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 05:56 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Nonsense

This is just bs you want to believe

I want any fraud on occur in an account not tied to my cash. Even if debit cards are afforded the same protection they aren’t afforded the same convenience. There’s no real argument here against credit cards unless you have poor credit
That is too strong of a statement as there are many groups of people that can’t or don’t want to have a credit card for a variety of reasons. To name a few examples of those that can’t, generally illegal aliens and persons under 18 would fall in that group. Then you have people that simply prefer to use debit cards (due to religion, bill aversion, PTSD/bad experience etc.)

And then there are the millions of people that get along well with their credit cards.

Shaming people who choose not to use CC is no better than shaming any other group of people based on their lifestyle choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:24 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That is too strong of a statement as there are many groups of people that can’t or don’t want to have a credit card for a variety of reasons. To name a few examples of those that can’t, generally illegal aliens and persons under 18 would fall in that group. Then you have people that simply prefer to use debit cards (due to religion, bill aversion, PTSD/bad experience etc.)

And then there are the millions of people that get along well with their credit cards.

Shaming people who choose not to use CC is no better than shaming any other group of people based on their lifestyle choices.
Maybe you should reread what I was responding to because your scenarios you are bringing up aren’t relevant to the post I had quoted

Old 07-19-2020, 08:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I've noticed that a lot of stores and pharmacies in my area won't accept cash right now. For all of those Dave Ramsey followers who eschew credit cards, what are they doing during the this time? The envelope system maybe doesn't work quite as well during a pandemic.
I just use my cc. It’s really not that hard. I really don’t carry that much cash anymore. I used to carry a few hundred at any time. Now maybe $50/60 bucks. To me my cc is cash as I pay it when I get the bill and don’t carry a balance. It’s also safer. If I lose my cc and someone uses it I’m covered. I’m stupid for losing it but I’m covered against charges. With cash....not so much.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:37 PM

606 posts, read 289,896 times
I'm no Ramsey fan or defender, but I believe what he preaches is to avoid credit cards because its easier to spend more impulsively since you are not literally seeing the money part from your hands compared to using cash. When you use cash you feel it more, so you are more selective with your spending. And due to this feeling the amount you overspend on a credit card outweighs the rewards points. Its a logical argument that probably holds true for many people. Ramsey also is concerned about missing payments and recurring debt, which also outweighs rewards usually.

For me personally, I prefer using a C.C. and shift as much of my spending as possible onto C.C.'s. I avoid using Debit Cards like the plague as they are high risk and offer no rewards. I also keep a sizable emergency cash reserve at all times, so there is never a threat of me defaulting on a credit card payment.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:13 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Use a credit card and pay off the balance before the interest starts to accrue.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Use a credit card and pay off the balance before the interest starts to accrue.
Do people realize that only a small percentage of people can pay their full balance each month? It would be better for most people to not use credit cards since they cannot pay them off each month.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:18 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do people realize that only a small percentage of people can pay their full balance each month? It would be better for most people to not use credit cards since they cannot pay them off each month.
data says otherwise .

those that pay in full are a sizable percentage ..

according to the federal reserve

45% always pay their card balance in full each month.
27% carry a balance most of the time.
21% carry a balance some of the time.
6% carried a balance just once in the past year.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:57 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,433,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
data says otherwise .

Not to mention, that data is potentially skewed because people can float balances on 0% interest. I “carry a balance” most of the time according to that polling question.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:18 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Not to mention, that data is potentially skewed because people can float balances on 0% interest. I “carry a balance” most of the time according to that polling question.
Exactly. Carrying a credit card balance in and of itself is NOT an indicator of financial health. One needs to look at the overall balance sheet.

Case 1:
Credit card balance: $20,000 at 0%
Current liabilities: $5,000
Cash/Cash equivalents: $200,000
Receivables: $8,000

Case 2:
Credit card balance: $0 at 20%
Other current liabilities: $5,000
Cash/Cash equivalents: $1,000
Receivables: $3,000

Case 1 is incontrovertibly in much better financial shape than Case 2. Case 2's receivables and cash/cash equivalents cannot meet their current liabilities despite having no credit card balance. Case 1 has more than enough cash/cash equivalents to service their current liabilities AND credit card debt many times over. If the 0% rate ends tomorrow, they can pay off the balance in full immediately.

Financial Accounting 101.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:44 PM

3,050 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
data says otherwise .

Guess the Dave Ramsey followers are the 1% that don't have a credit card balance to pay. They paid all their bills in cash or debit card.

Baby step 1 they have $1000 in emergency fund
Baby step 2 all the debts are paid except for the house
Baby step 3 they have 3-6 months emergency fund saved.
Baby step 4 they put 15% of their pay into a retirement fund.
Baby step 5 pay off the house
Baby step 6 take care of children's college fund
Baby step 7 be generous with their money
Baby step 8 retire with no debt, they have plenty of money.

Maybe in Covid they used their emergency fund to pay some bills. When they get back to work job 1 is to refill the emergency fund. They did not cash out of retirement funds so that they can ride out the storm. For 4 months they bought only shelter, food, medical supply, not much else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance