Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 03:43 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,950,926 times

Advertisements

e-Filed my taxes on 2/14 and still have not received a refund for $2300. Online it says that return is still being 'processed' (I already got the email stating it was accepted). I don't care about the sum of money for the return at all, it's just that I'm baffled about why it is taking so long to process. This is the first year ever it has taken this long following e-file. I don't think I made a mistake anywhere. Our taxes are very simple, and I only take the standard deduction while filing married and jointly. It probably means of course that my return has been flagged for some reason and needs human review. We made more significantly more money than last year because of a job promotion and gains on stocks - is that what might cause the hold up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 04:02 PM

23,664 posts, read 19,483,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
e-Filed my taxes on 2/14 and still have not received a refund for $2300. Online it says that return is still being 'processed' (I already got the email stating it was accepted). I don't care about the sum of money for the return at all, it's just that I'm baffled about why it is taking so long to process. This is the first year ever it has taken this long following e-file. I don't think I made a mistake anywhere. Our taxes are very simple, and I only take the standard deduction while filing married and jointly. It probably means of course that my return has been flagged for some reason and needs human review. We made more significantly more money than last year because of a job promotion and gains on stocks - is that what might cause the hold up?
2020 was not exactly a normal year and 2021 is shaping up much the same for the IRS. There's sand in the gears dumped there by Covid-19.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:26 PM

17,756 posts, read 30,051,258 times
Concerned?
Only when you get the phone call from the "IRS agent with an arrest warrant".

Old 03-31-2021, 07:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,131,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Concerned?
Only when you get the phone call from the "IRS agent with an arrest warrant".
Nah, that isn't a problem. That happened to me, and all I had to do was purchase $200 in itunes gift cards, scratch off the back, and send him the pictures by email. It was such an easy email address to remember as well. irs@hotmail.nigeria.com

Old 04-01-2021, 04:14 AM

3,134 posts, read 3,422,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Nah, that isn't a problem. That happened to me, and all I had to do was purchase $200 in itunes gift cards, scratch off the back, and send him the pictures by email. It was such an easy email address to remember as well. irs@hotmail.nigeria.com
Maybe next time you can send them Bitcoin

Old 04-01-2021, 05:25 AM

945 posts, read 903,174 times
Quote:
Same thing here. We got through to someone who told us the delay was a problem on their end and is no error on our part. They claim it will be straightened out and our refund direct deposited in 10 weeks.

Honestly, don't care so much when it comes as long as it comes. In 2018 they lost our e-filed return and made us send a paper one in the mail, claimed to not get that one too (even though we had record of someone signing for it) and took about 8 months and help from a state senator's office to get our refund.

Starting to think someone in the IRS has a grudge

Old 04-01-2021, 07:39 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,189,940 times
If you can, make an adjustment on your W4 so you pay more out over the year and are not expecting a big refund. If you owe them a little instead of them owing you a lot, you won't care that it takes them a while to process your return. Of course, depending on your situation, it can be difficult to determine what the optimal withholding amount should be year to year.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:37 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,690,041 times
Quote:
e-Filed my taxes on 2/14 and still have not received a refund for $2300.
Filed mine on 2/12 and the IRS says "still being processed" so you are not alone. The IRS has been a basket case for years and 2020 made things even worse.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,227,835 times
Don't feel bad guys- people still waiting fot their 2019 taxes to be processed and IRS won 't issue stimulus until then. Seems they have grudges against lots of people.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:30 PM

11,177 posts, read 8,055,352 times
I have to pay every year so the longer they take the longer my bank account looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance