Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 05:42 AM

8 posts, read 12,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Orion:

What on earth are you complaining about?

You stated you are on track to make $210k this year (though I would cation that you not 'coubt your chickens before they hatch'... especially with car shortage)

If you invest your earnings, live lean financially, and don't panic and sell just because the market dropps 1k points, stay the course for long term, you should do fine.

Even at $160k/yr, you are in the top earner category.

I really don't think finances is your trouble.

I think your real trouble is you feel "stuck" with no other opportunities.
You feel as though you are in as dead end a job as a grocery store bagger, who will never be to move up (pretty much they are obsolete now)

Perhaps look into another sales field?

Pharmaceutical?
How about getting your real estate license?

Going to college for banking.. specializing in car/mortgage financing?

Don't forget...if you really fear inflation...it's no different than a grocery store cashier making $10/hr having income degraded by inflation. Only they have a "small shovel" of income, while you have a BIG shovel.

Do you have a lot of debt?? Get busy, cut back to bare to essentials, pay it off as quickly as you can.. you're reporting about $50-60k increase over your average, use it to pay off that debt.

No debt? Then invest every dollar you can.

Inflation/deflation, market ups and downs will happen to EVERYONE. The only risk to you as I see it is that in high inflation, car sales may slow, but if youve been averaging$150k, you're still doing ok.

Let me put it this way, my $200/m total utility bill is far more expensive to me at my income, than it is to your potential$200k income.
If inflation takes a 20% bite out of your base $150k, you'll be down to $120k.
A 20% inflation bite out of a $50k job means that person will only have $40k on which to live.. which would you rather have? The extra $80k your current position afford s you, or try to make that $40k work? (Not accounting for taxes, of course, and you already know the answer..it's in your question.)

I think you either need to reevaluate your career choices, which may come with a pay cut, but steady income on an income basis, or change career options regardless of pay due to feeling "stuck" with no where to go.

Check out local or online college courses for a degree in finance, learn all the "ABCs" of it, and as someone above suggested, set up as a financial advisor.

You're young yet, you gave options.
Your biggest "sticking point" is that you want the money you're making, but options for lateral or vertical moves.

The two don't always go together.

Best as you sort it out.

Only YOU can make a change, WE know nothing about your likes, dislike or goals in career choices.
So, we really can't advise you.

Numbers of money look for od from here, and you acknowledged you're not really interested in a pay cut.

Here's an option:
How about saving/investing to accrue a portfolio to BUY yourself a dealership? Or start your own Used car dealership?
Then you could rotate through all aspects of the car sales/maintenance, and that will give you options..at a salary you might be happy with.

Again, best as YOU decide.

1)I don't have any debt. I got about 220K liquid, which is not nearly enough. i've been very reckless with money. I do have a very nice house with about 160K equity in

2)Most other sales fields require tons of prospecting, traveling/driving around and cold calling. I absolutely hate all of these things. I want a sales job where I go to one place for a fixed schedule and customers come to me

3)Dealerships cost retarded money to buy/start up. One of the most expensive and risky businesses in terms of start up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 07:17 AM

6,827 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Sounds like you’re not interested in advice but you just came here to rant.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:52 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
You should focus on getting your fiancée out of nursing school and earning money. In the mean time get your crap together and start saving/investing. In all your past attempts at this you aren’t willing to do what’s necessary IMO. If you are making 150k+ most years and 200k+ occasionally you should have more saved. The only way to correct this is to make changes and some will be very hard given the fact you’ve been wasting the opportunity for a decade or more

Inflation on your income from car sales would be less impactful if you built meaningful investments. If your SO finishes school and you are grossing 220k+ a year it really shouldn’t be a problem. Stay away from the sports gambling, take some personally accountability to make serious changes or don’t

Old 07-12-2021, 08:52 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Sounds like you’re not interested in advice but you just came here to rant.
No - came here to boast.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:56 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
You like the job and the money it pays is more than you think you can get else where now.
You can invest a little bit of that money for future years when your income stays the same and inflation goes up. Same think you have to do in retirement if you have a fixed annuity.
Look for a business you can start on the side. Could end up being your full time job or maybe a part time job to offset inflation.
Sounds like you have very good interpersonal skills so maybe find a consultant that helps you determine what career is best for your talents.
Pay off the car and come up with a budget. Maybe save 25% of your income.
I think inflation is more of an excuse than a real problem.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:28 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion109 View Post
I can't do jobs that require tons of prospecting and cold calling... I absolutely hate prospecting. The best part of my job is customers come to me

the problem is there's basically no other sales jobs that pay a huge income without any prospecting
What about specialty car sales such as foreign vehicles (Maserati, Lamborghini , etc.)? Are there such dealerships in your area?

Old 07-12-2021, 09:48 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,435,761 times
Sell Tesla’s since they sell and drive themselves. “Nobody” wants a dusty old ICE.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:37 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times
Quote:
I'm a 32 year old male working in car sales. I've done very well for myself over the last 10 years (and especially the last 5). With this car shortage going on right now, our dealer is making insane profits and so that trickles down to us - I'm likely to make about 210K this year. When things go back to normal, I'm probably going to settle down around the 160-170K range consistently

All sounds great right? Well I have nowhere to go in my career. My dealership won't hire me as a sales manager and even if they did, I would make a lot less money than I do now. Even my general sales manager makes slightly less than I do

My problem is long term, inflation is going to eat up my income. I think I'll be making about the same as I do now 15 years from now and inflation will keep going up and up. I just don't know what else I can do. I have a college degree but I am not willing to take a monster paycut to work in corporate world - the vast majority of corporate jobs want you to toil in 50-70K mediocrity for 3-5+ years until they start to actually pay you a real income. I haven't made less than 100K since I was 22

I'm in a good position financially but I haven't saved nearly as much as I should have due to being a bit reckless with money. I've got a nice house that I probably have 160K equity in and about 220K between retirement and liquid cash. I have 2 cars - one is paid off and one is not paid off (that's my fiancee's car). My fiance will finish nursing school in 1.5 years and so I'll be getting another 60-70K added to our household income

What do I do? do I just try to live smart financially next 20 years and save enough money to retire or do I think about a different career? and what kind of career?
I don't know why you're complaining. Sounds more like you're getting greedy. If you like your job and make good money, stay in it as long as you can and save your money. Straighten out your finances and get everything paid off. In a job like yours, you WILL have a bad year or two and you better be ready.

On the other hand, I think we've given you advice before...and you're still not married yet???

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pers...king-150k.html

Last edited by Vic Romano; 07-12-2021 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 10:40 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,918 times
Just know if you take another sales position you're going to take a hit, that's the main thing that sucks about sales. When you're good at a position you can make $200k if you start in sales somewhere else you need to build yourself back up and could easily take a $100k pay cut that first year.

I do equipment finance, at the start it's hard to make good money and it's a ton of ****ty sales work and cold calling. Once you get established accounts it's the easiest $250k+ you'll ever make, you're just fielding the incoming calls and emails at that point. But year one you might only make $80k even if you're a rock star sales guy.

If I were you I'd keep doing what I was doing and use that solid income to make money on the side elsewhere. Get into real estate, hire a property manager and just be the guy who writes checks and collects monthly cashflow. Buy up a ton of high yielding dividend stocks. In 10 years you could find yourself earning $8k a month in rental cashflow and dividends and then you can go do whatever the hell you want.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:51 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
Your salary is already in the top 3% of individual earners in the country. And the top 13% of all household income in the country How much more do you want?
Quote:
I'm a 32 year old male working in car sales. I've done very well for myself over the last 10 years (and especially the last 5). With this car shortage going on right now, our dealer is making insane profits and so that trickles down to us - I'm likely to make about 210K this year. When things go back to normal, I'm probably going to settle down around the 160-170K range consistently

All sounds great right? Well I have nowhere to go in my career. My dealership won't hire me as a sales manager and even if they did, I would make a lot less money than I do now. Even my general sales manager makes slightly less than I do

My problem is long term, inflation is going to eat up my income. I think I'll be making about the same as I do now 15 years from now and inflation will keep going up and up. I just don't know what else I can do. I have a college degree but I am not willing to take a monster paycut to work in corporate world - the vast majority of corporate jobs want you to toil in 50-70K mediocrity for 3-5+ years until they start to actually pay you a real income. I haven't made less than 100K since I was 22

I'm in a good position financially but I haven't saved nearly as much as I should have due to being a bit reckless with money. I've got a nice house that I probably have 160K equity in and about 220K between retirement and liquid cash. I have 2 cars - one is paid off and one is not paid off (that's my fiancee's car). My fiance will finish nursing school in 1.5 years and so I'll be getting another 60-70K added to our household income

What do I do? do I just try to live smart financially next 20 years and save enough money to retire or do I think about a different career? and what kind of career?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance