Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 05:42 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times

Advertisements

Just got mine after about 20 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 08:45 PM

1,603 posts, read 868,743 times
I always owe, but when I went to file this year I found out a ********* had already filed under my social. Had to file on paper with an identity theft affidavit. Mailed it around April 8th certified mail. The check I wrote them cleared the treasury about 3 weeks later. Didn't receive the green return card until late July, stamped July 15th. Still waiting to hear from them and won't be able to file without a pin number so I hope they get their butts in gear. Judging by the automated letters I've received, the fraudsters got about $10k between the third stimulus (which I wasn't eligible for) and a large refund from their made up numbers. That money got sent somewhere, and it wasn't my bank account or my mailbox. I hope the IRS can find out where the money went but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:22 PM

23,549 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Update:: still waiting on the IRS to process my 2018 amended return. I looked up the status of my return on the IRS Amended Return Status website today and my return was received and has not been processed yet. The IRS has had my return since April 2021.

Still waiting…

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I had to file an amended 2018 return for both my federal and state returns, due to an error I discovered. I overpaid on my taxes for tax year 2018.

I filed amended returns (via USPS mail) at the end of March 2021. My state refund just arrived in mid-September. My federal refund is still outstanding. It’s impossible to reach the IRS via phone or other means to determine status of my return. The only proof I have that the IRS received the return is my tracking confirmation receipt.

I’ll just keep waiting.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:52 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Just curious if anyone else has been dealing with this. Filed my taxes back in May. I was a little later than usual, but within the extension period that the IRS provided. I have a considerable refund expected, and it's been bouncing around in different statuses. I think most recently it's "Received and being reviewed". I've been trying to follow up with the IRS for months, and they are basically taking no more calls or scheduling appointments at local offices. I told my wife at this point I don't even expect that we'll get this refund. Clearly it's hung up in their system and it hasn't moved forward in the queue in quite some time. It's just mind boggling to me, because I've always received a refund within a few weeks of filing.

Anyone else been anticipating a refund and not received it yet this far out? If so, have you found any additional solutions?

We've been waiting since then too.

Looking on the "where's my refund page of IRS site, it says "no information available".

I kept checking, same thing.

I started trying to call with a myriad of computer prompts, I'd always end up being disconnected with out talking to a human.

So, I goggle "how to get a human at IRS", and found which prompts to punch, and that said DO NOT ENTER SS#, WAIT TIL NEXT PROMPT.
THAT seemed to be the key, as once you entered your SS#, it would never get you to a human.

Finally 3rd week of December I got a human. She said it WAS received on the date I filed (near end of time to file), but was rejected the next day... something about not having spouses birthday entered!!

And the IRS COULDN'T be bothered to send us a letter telling us it was rejected???

So now we have an appointment with Jackson Hewitt next week to refile, not taking any chances this time!

The $689 refund expected will probably be dinged for the later filing, plus we'll have to pay JH, might not end up with anything, but at least they'll be correct.

Ditto for the state of NY taxes..$285 refund as the free file option did both on same entries. And to boot I had to pay $19 to file NY!

GRR, NEITHER fed nor state could be bothered to send a letter stating they needed more info!

You might have had a similar issue, unless you've already gotten your refund.

Best

Old 01-12-2022, 08:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
I wrote my Congressperson...took them 2 plus months to get our refund.

I really wasn't concerned about the refund. But under Obama, after I had a couple of articles reprinted in a conservative web site....the IRS lost three copies of my tax return. ALL THREE had SIGNED return receipts that the IRS had received my return from the USPS.

So when the IRS lost my tax return in the first year of the Biden Administration I thought NOT AGAIN.

I did quit writing articles as it is not worth it to be on the IRS list....but I guess the Federal government has a long memory.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:45 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,108 times
I filed late last spring, and still waiting. The online status says that the "tax return is still being processed." Does that mean the return has in fact been received? Or is this a generic statement?

It probably doesn't help that I filed a paper return, but the return itself isn't terribly complex--no deductions or anything like that. I'm hoping I get the refund in time so I can do the 2021 taxes in a timely manner....

Old 01-13-2022, 09:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
The news reported this morning the IRS has a backlog of 11 MILLION returns from 2020 they are still processing.

Last edited by flyonpa; 01-13-2022 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-13-2022, 09:38 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Hm.

The IRS is hiring. GS jobs, some of the positions are flex schedules or telework, childcare is provided, lots of paid holidays. Probably qualifies for government retirement and student loan forgiveness.

I'm just sayin'. Everybody is frustrated about how the IRS is operating these days...well... Maybe some folks should consider trying to be part of the solution?

lol anyhow. I had no issues with my stimulus payments or tax returns but my little brother did, and he's got three small children so his child tax credit payments were delayed as well. I was pretty upset on his behalf, I'd really come to expect better from the IRS just from my dealings with them, which have been generally positive over a long period of time (and multiple political administrations.)

Old 01-13-2022, 10:02 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
The problems expressed here are why I always try to be a little under withheld (or underpaid estimates) and have to pay. If I ever do over withhold, I always apply that to the current year taxes and revise my current year withholding/payments.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:13 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The problems expressed here are why I always try to be a little under withheld (or underpaid estimates) and have to pay. If I ever do over withhold, I always apply that to the current year taxes and revise my current year withholding/payments.
Agree, last year I didn't withhold anything on my IRA RMD. That should lower my refund substantially. This year I may try to change my SS withholding percentage to eliminate my refund altogether and owe a small amount at the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance