Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 10:53 AM

864 posts, read 479,139 times

Advertisements

For some few years we had a CPA then a CPA/Attorney who would always file extensions for us even though they knew we would be given a refund. Don't know whether you're legally required to but they always did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 11:19 AM

402 posts, read 535,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I tried finding a definitive answer on the IRS website. Couldn't find it.
As simple as it is for the IRS to make this plain, I'm sure we can surmise why they won't do it. Why not just say: there's no penalty for not filing if you don't owe so you don't need an extension, so f you don't owe, you don't need an extension.

From what I found just quickly, and from what I've seen before now, there's no penalty for not getting and extension, and not filing on time IF you're due a refund.

Technically, sure, I suppose, a person COULD/should file for an extension. But if there's no penalty if you don't owe, then.....

Budgeting the nest.com: if you are required to file, there are no penalties for not filing a tax return if you don't owe any taxes. Since there is no penalty for not filing if you owe no taxes, there is no benefit to filing for an extension.

RamseySolutions.com: If you’re expecting a refund, you won’t get a penalty for filing late. You just won’t get your tax refund until you file.

Forbes advisor: there’s no penalty for submitting your taxes late when you’re expecting a refund.

Now why isn't that made plain on the IRS website.
OR, if it is please let us know where you found it.
Yep. Exactly what I found and the reason I asked here. I agree with what you've posted here. That is pretty much where I'm at. On the other hand, I would love for GWoodle to provide some documentation or links supporting what they said is the case. Because I can't find anything that does.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:38 AM

3,095 posts, read 3,374,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Yep. Exactly what I found and the reason I asked here. I agree with what you've posted here. That is pretty much where I'm at. On the other hand, I would love for GWoodle to provide some documentation or links supporting what they said is the case. Because I can't find anything that does.
https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/when-to-file

Due April 15

Because of Friday due next business day Monday April 18

Old 04-17-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/when-to-file

Due April 15

Because of Friday due next business day Monday April 18

From that page:
"An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. You may be subject to a late payment penalty on any tax not paid by the original due date of your return."

Thus the conclusion that if you do not owe any taxes, there is no need to file an extension.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,562,468 times
IRS owes me money for 2021 return,but I wont see it anytime soon.
But I have to pay 2022 first qtr estimate tax which I just did online,come to think of it,I should have indicate I want my 2021 refund applied to 2022 tax.
learn something every day !

Old 04-17-2022, 12:55 PM

32,732 posts, read 48,366,038 times
It will take you 30 seconds to fill out the request for an extension. Fill it out, send it in. if you need to file one, you've done it, if you don't need to file one, no harm done.

You've got a refund coming so my guess is that you really should file for the extension and get the tax form filed quickly. Why wait to get your money back?

Old 04-17-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It will take you 30 seconds to fill out the request for an extension. Fill it out, send it in. if you need to file one, you've done it, if you don't need to file one, no harm done.

You've got a refund coming so my guess is that you really should file for the extension and get the tax form filed quickly. Why wait to get your money back?
Things that are simple and quick for some people - or even most people - are not for others. I do not have a spare 30 seconds, but not having a printer, not being able to leave the house, having to investigate which of the free IRS filing options to use, etc..... all things that are more likely to cause problems or screw something up than just leaving things alone.

Can you file for an extension directly with the IRS on the IRS website? If that is an option, I might have a tiny shot. If I can see, stay awake, not pass out, stop having hours-long internet outages and no other additional disasters happen in the next 24 hours.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:59 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,210,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post

Can you file for an extension directly with the IRS on the IRS website? If that is an option, I might have a tiny shot. If I can see, stay awake, not pass out, stop having hours-long internet outages and no other additional disasters happen in the next 24 hours.
Of course you can! It took me about 5 seconds to Google this and click on the IRS FREE FILLABLE FORMS information link about filing an extension. Sorry, don't buy the excuse that you don't have 30 seconds to spare to download information about a necessary task that occurs every single year. Technically you have 365 days to think about and prepare for the next time it pops up. You just don't choose to do it. You prioritize other things. Now you're in a panic because you waited until the last minute. Maybe this approach needs a re-think...or contracting with a tax preparer to take care of this mandatory adulting event for you. Much as people love to complain about the IRS, they do provide multiple options for taking care of this annual nuisance and many of them won't cost you anything to use.

FWIW, I don't have a printer either and have frequent web outages. I've never needed to leave the house to complete my tax returns. I use the IRS Free Fillable Forms option to file every year. On time too.

Here's how to start up with Free Fillable Forms. You can use it to complete and file pretty much anything you need. Even though you do need to fill the forms out yourself (electronically of course without a printer), the program will do much of the basic math. The program has all the preparation instructions for every form too. If you're worried about internet failures you can always download/save copies of forms and publications to your computer and work through them offline, then re-log in and submit them.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/home/default.php

Here's a list of all the forms and schedules available. Yes, Form 4868 is there too. Scroll.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.co...ailability.php

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-17-2022 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-17-2022, 02:29 PM

Must be nice to know more about someone else's life than they do. You are clearly the expert on everything going on in my life. You win I lose. Feel better now?

I hope you never have to go through what I have been through 24 hours a day every day for the last 13 months.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:43 PM

26,204 posts, read 21,701,343 times
You’ve spent plenty of time on this forum when you could have been figuring out how to file an extension and doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance