Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,892,893 times

Advertisements

I agree with baystater, don't buy the house. You are young and there will be many more homes. Two many things can change before you ever get to live in that house. Pay off your bills, save money and wait. You are part of the "We want it all now" generation. Take your time, things change, you will be glad you waited. You might even be able to buy that home in a year, for a really great price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:03 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,488,381 times
I agree that now is not the time to tie youself down to an area. Who knows what will happen during residency. Maybe you both will meet a mentor or find out about the Perfect Practice and then be stuck with a house to unload.

My dentist was hired into a practice over 25 years ago when the prior owner was diagnosed with cancer. He walked into a well known and prosperous practice and has continued to build it into a wonderful group.

Emotion is not what you should use when looking at a house. Nice but will lead you by the nose. I would stay flexible until the practice is found and then buy a house to match the practice.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,940,420 times
I think you should buy the house now and to heck with everything else.

Actually I don't. You should wait and see where you actually end up in a year. LIfe has a funny way of taking you places you never thought you would go. Also, even though you think this house is perfect and the ONLY one for you - it's not. Somehing different / better will come along that will make you wonder why you ever liked this house in the first place.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:01 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,488,822 times
UKOK - and why couldn't you leave it at the first sentence?! haha, just kidding.

here's something else:
the house is fsbo and we went by w/out an agent to see the house (didn't want to waste an agents time). we told the owners our situation (not everything about money, but just that we were moving) the owner emailed us some photos and said he was thinking of ways to make this work and to call and talk about some options...what do you all think of this? should i call him and see what he's thought about?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,875,496 times
Like I said earlier, the seller may be VERY READY to sell and this is your bargaining power. You can easily negotiate a better deal and even then still pursue an interest only loan temporarily while your husband is in residency. Its all up to you. Personally, I don't know what the house looks like or what the comps are to make an opinion about the house itself. For myself, I know the only house I want is the custom house I want to be built. So I will save money for that...

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM

Thank you all so much for your help - you have all been very informative. I guess I will let this dream house go by and not put ourselves under too much stress right now. I know it's the best thing to do. The most perfect thing will come when it's time.

Double thanks everyone!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM

692 posts, read 3,143,778 times
I could give you my professional answer but if I were you I would call in on the Suzie Orman TV show and get your question put on the "CAN I AFFORD THIS" segment.
It might take a little "Doin" but it would be worth it in my opinion.
I would really value what she says.

Good luck,

Silverfox

Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,254,208 times
I know how you feel about the house thing, but sometimes you do have to put off things. I have a good career but I have been way priced out of the housing market and I don't have a double household income because I'm single. I decided to explore areas with a lower cost of living and more reasonable housing prices, but sometimes that also means lower salaries/wages. I was recently on an exploratory trip of an area to which I am considering relocating, but finding a job in my field will be a challenge and even if I did, it won't pay what I'm making now, so I need to get creative in marketing and searching. Anyway..this is all good....I mean that's what these "exploratory trips" are all about. Well, during that trip, I walked past a house that was for sale by owner, sweet lady, beautiful little house perfect for me, I could definately afford it, she invited me in for tea and we chatted, etc. Everything just seemed to fit and fall into place. Now...could I have purchased that house? Probably. But without a job lined up, it wouldn't have been smart, regardless of how much I want that house. Plus, my plan is to have the job lined up, rent for 6 months to a year to make sure the job is working out and to get a good feel for different neighborhoods and THEN get the ducks lined up to purchase a house. Is it going to take time and work? Sure. Do I want it NOW instead of later? You bet. BUt......pragmatism rules with me and I only take calculated risks, so....for what it's worth....I think holding off on the house is a good thing. You'll find something fabulous later and be in a better position to do so.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM

cobolt, are you sure you'll find something as fabulous later?

thanks everyone. i may just call the owner to see what he has thought of, but tell him upfront we're probably not going to buy it.

if anyone else wants to tell me why i shouldn't have my dream house...go ahead!!! haha, just kiddin. i know you are all right, but the house is gorgeous. here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
financial dilemma-front.jpg  

Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM

just wanted to know what kind of deal if any you might would consider making w/ the seller...he says he thought of something that could make this work for the both of us. what do you think he has in mind and what could be good for me to consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance