Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,490,000 times

Advertisements

please help everyone! i'm a big dave ramsey fan and wondered what you all thought he and you might say in a situation like this.

i am married and together my husband and i have $320k in the stock market (used to be $400k until the market fell). my husband has a $250k whole life policy and an annuity. we think combined the cash values would be around $40k. i also have about $6k in a 401k. my husband just graduated from dental school and i can find a job anywhere. we know where we want to live and where he wants to buy into a dental practice (upstate sc).

i found a house i really like that meets all our needs - it's perfect. it's listed at $350k but that's too high. i haven't had a real estate agent do the comps yet, but i would probably put in an offer at $280k and the most i would pay is $300k.

as far as bills, we have a car payment that is $420/ month and we will begin renting an apartment in june that is $1000/ month. we also have a student loan that is $10k but can defer it for a year.

so here's the problem. we are moving to dallas, tx for the next year for my husband to do a residency. i will have a job there and his residency will pay a little but we'll be making enough to cover our expenses only. the other thing is we'll need to get a sizeable loan for when my husband buys into a practice - or at least a sizeable down payment to begin with. i'm not sure how much we will need to pay at first yet since we don't have anything specific worked out where we want to eventually be - but the money we would need could range from $40k to $400k.

like i said, this house is perfect and i really, really want to put an offer on it. we could easily live there for ten years or even longer. it's been on and off the market for close to a year, but there's no guarantee it will be there when we're ready to seriously look in march. but i don't know what to do with the uncertainties - we don't know how much money we'll need later and we won't be physically in the house for a year. my parents live within 10 minutes and could check on it for us. the neighbors are always there and could keep an eye on things, and other family members would definitely take advantage of a weekend getaway, but it still makes me nervous. renters also make me nervous b/c i don't know of anyone who would be dependable and trustworthy in my dream home. my husband is very hesistant and i am too, but i'm just trying to figure out a way to get (or at least try to get) this house while not making us have undue worry and stress.

also in terms of dave ramsey, i know he would say we need to pay our car and student loan off and i want to do that too so that adds another stick in the mud.

what would you do if you were us? any and all are welcome. please don't tell me what i don't want to hear...haha, just kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
You could take out $320k from your stocks and put it towards your house (not something I would recommend)... if I were you, I would haggle to get the house priced lower as it hasn't been moving in the market... get a FHA loan with maybe an interest only loan for the first year (dental residencies usually don't last that long) and get the seller to pay for closing costs... then switch to a fixed rate when your husband is practicing... buying a practice ain't cheap... I have dentists as friends that I grew up with and they paid 1M+ for practices... maybe your husband can buy a practice for cheaper...

You could just wait for a year when he finishes his residency and buy another house... My friend bought a 400k+ house, bought a practice, and new cars after he finished his residency... but then his wife was a practicing pharmacist too...

Nice JOB on the stocks! Its rare to find someone who saved that much, it seems you are both responsible people.. rare things these days...

Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 PM

oh thank you about the stock $ - i wish i could say it was us saving, but it was a gift from my husband's granddad (as was the life insurance policy and annuity). we are trying to use it very responsibly. i know his granddad would want us to use the money wisely.

i would love to pay cash for the house and just be done with it since i know we'll be there for a while, but then we'll have nothing to put towards a practice later.

so what would you do?? haha. you didn't tell me that!

what about possibly getting a regular 30 yr fixed and using the cash value from the life insurance and annuity as a down payment? then we would still have a mortgage to worry about for a year though...

sigh.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,885,537 times
Yeah your whole life insurance is kind of a waste of money unless your incomes are really high (sort of a tax shelter)... check what the surrender charge is though, it may be stiff...

1) Negotiate a better deal on the house with seller paying for most (if not all) of closing costs. Play hardball with them with a lowball offer of 300k and meet in some kind of middle-ground. They may want to sell badly. Also make sure that there is clear title and no past due property tax on the house.

2) Get approval for a fixed INTEREST RATE only loan with at least 20% down to avoid PMI. The mortgage cost will go down a LOT since you are not paying principal.

3) Take the surrendered payment for your whole life insurance and put it towards down payment and closing costs. (if possibe)

4) I wouldn't recommend a 30 year fixed, especially since you said something about moving to upstate SC (South Carolina?) and having a lot of bills... take the interest only loan and it should greatly decrease the monthly mortgage payment (to affordable levels). Try to get away from the rental lease (explain it to the landlord, some can be very understanding). Move into your home.

5) Once you start to make more money, transform your loan into a fixed 30-year rate loan since you can afford to pay it off now.

6) Personally, I wouldn't buy the house... there will always be another home you can fall in love with... especially if you are moving to another state in the future.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,517,038 times
Default not yet

to be honest I wouldn't buy the house. Get your Careers/Practice in order first. I didn't happen to catch your occupation but your husband choice of careers is a money make( My longterm GF's parents are both dentists). I'd say rent, pay off any bills you owe, and keep saving for that practice for right now. Now once you get that practice up in running (which from what I get from my GF's parent is a ton of work at for the first couple of years.) you'll be in the catbird's seat and will probably be able of afford something even better by that time.
Good luck to you.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 PM

thanks for the advice you two. honestly not what i want to hear, but i know you're probably right. i was hoping someone would have an easy clear cut answer of how i could get the house...haha. i grew up in the area the house is in (upstate sc) and know that this is a great opportunity so i'm not sure that a house i will love just as much will be available in march, but i'll probably be able to find one i like pretty good.

i'm so sad right now.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,517,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
thanks for the advice you two. honestly not what i want to hear, but i know you're probably right. i was hoping someone would have an easy clear cut answer of how i could get the house...haha. i grew up in the area the house is in (upstate sc) and know that this is a great opportunity so i'm not sure that a house i will love just as much will be available in march, but i'll probably be able to find one i like pretty good.

i'm so sad right now.
Why be sad. Look I know you like the house but if you play your cards right and things go well.........Heck you might get something 10 times better sooner rather than later. Yeah I know you love the home and probably got attached to it. This happens to a lot of buyers. But hey it's just a house out of millions to choose from. Patience you get what you deserve/want and perhaps even more so if position yourself right.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM

millions in our 20 mile radius?! haha

thank you again baystater.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
With the economy the way it is right now..you are taking a chance getting so much into debt at this point.

If it were me..I'd wave goodbye to the house and get the career going. There are plenty of houses out there and you never know what may come along.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

okay - no one post unless you tell me what i want to hear....haha, just kidding. thank you happytexan. i know you are all right. it's just hard to not get this most perfect house. i mean PERFECT. (;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance