Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 08:10 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times

Advertisements

Especially people in service oriented jobs who barely even make enough to scrape by. How do some people who have rent payments, bills, kids to support etc just randomly not show up to work one day and/or just quit. Not having enough money to pay my rent/bills is enough to stress me out, but for some people it's no biggie. I don't get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 08:18 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Especially people in service oriented jobs who barely even make enough to scrape by. How do some people who have rent payments, bills, kids to support etc just randomly not show up to work one day and/or just quit. Not having enough money to pay my rent/bills is enough to stress me out, but for some people it's no biggie. I don't get it?
Perhaps they figure that it's not worth busting their ass to do a job that barely pays more than what welfare would provide for them.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:19 AM

700 posts, read 447,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Perhaps they figure that it's not worth busting their ass to do a job that barely pays more than what welfare would provide for them.
Welfare pays $15/hr plus OT when applicable?

Old 06-05-2022, 09:12 AM

3,048 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Maybe they work for idiot boss company. All work & no play or pay. Not valued for the work they do.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:55 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
People are spontaneous and emotional beings, and sometimes that means they do things like walk away from a job for <reasons>.

It's a lot easier when one can walk across the street and get a job at a different place. Maybe more money, maybe better hours, maybe a less stressful environment.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:16 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
A lot of low wage jobs don't pay $15/hour and overtime is strictly avoided by the employer.

Besides, have you figured out what the equivalent "pay" is for drawing welfare? What would it cost a family of four to rent a place to live, buy food for four people, pay utilities on the apartment, buy clothing for everyone, and provide medical care for the 4 of them??? I can guarantee it would cost more than a minimum wage job to get all those things.

Perhaps if both adults worked minimum wage jobs they might make a little more than welfare would provide, but then you run into the considerable expense of providing child care for the kids when both parents are working.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:20 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Could be.
I know of a lady in Phoenix. She has three children of school age, and is a widow. She has no particular work qualifications.
She would give anything if she were just able to provide for her children by working, but the benefits she gets by not working far, far outweigh the amount she could earn.
I believe the figure is 60,000/year in salary just to equal the benefits she qualifies for now.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:02 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I had to many responsibilities in lie to just up and quit. There were times I changed jobs as I did not like the one I had but I never quit before anther job was waiting. I also changed jobs while climbing the corporate ladder.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:43 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Do you have more details on that?

Old 06-05-2022, 12:22 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
The only time that I did this was early in my career and it was because I had several paychecks in a row bounce (direct deposit wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now). I had enough money tucked aside to tide me over for several months if need be, but as it happened, I walked out of that job on a Tuesday and had a newer, better job by Friday. Sometimes, knowing someone who knows someone who's looking for another someone with a specific skillset works to one's advantage.

This is something that I'd never do now, but at the time and under those circumstances, it made sense to walk out of that job.

In terms of the service oriented jobs, there is such a shortage of workers who are willing *and* able to do that work (and pass the required drug tests and actually show up for an interview, let alone for work after being hired), that a person can walk out of one job and into another without much difficulty--and often make a bit more money at the newer job, too.

A lot of people at the lower end of the employee ladder also tend to share living expenses with family and/or friends; in some cases, they live with a relative rent-free, so there's that, too. It's just a totally different life experience for those who live in that particular world than those of us who were raised in another (which is a lot of us here on City Data, to be honest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance