Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 09:09 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,240,908 times

Advertisements

Mcjobs are a dime a dozen, with Mcjob employers desperate for workers.

They're doing rolling interviews every day.

You could quit your job in the morning and be working at another place by the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 09:52 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,157,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Mcjobs are a dime a dozen, with Mcjob employers desperate for workers.

They're doing rolling interviews every day.

You could quit your job in the morning and be working at another place by the afternoon.
Yep. My youngest is working fast food for the summer to earn extra pocket money for his next year in college, and it's nearly impossible for the restaurant to hang onto employees. He's paid well, but the hours suck. His schedule is all over the place. He's young and has few other responsibilities, so he can roll with it, but I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with a family to take care of.

Last edited by kj1065; 06-22-2022 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 10:03 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,654,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Especially people in service oriented jobs who barely even make enough to scrape by. How do some people who have rent payments, bills, kids to support etc just randomly not show up to work one day and/or just quit. Not having enough money to pay my rent/bills is enough to stress me out, but for some people it's no biggie. I don't get it?
Maybe they have FU money and thus do not need to tolerate poor treatment. It's a great position to be in.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Interesting comment from son who's COO / CFO of high tech with 100+ skilled employees.

The New normal...
1) ~20% less productive employees
2) ~20% additional wage requirements
3) ~80% less office space required
4) Can't afford to 'lose them' (~$50k and 2-4 yrs to train replacements, and 5+ yrs to adopt company culture and business direction)

They already had very liberal work requirements (flex hours, Unlimited vacation / sick leave, full benefits (including health club and recreation perks), choice of work-from-home or office. Amazon and Costco memberships provided...)

Tough to find good help anymore (there is none)

Wonder why?

Not me...

Quite a bonus time to be a worker in demand!

Each job is training for your next, Always keep your eyes (and mind) open.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:55 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,775,982 times
It is easy to walk away from low income jobs. They are usually easy to get, especially these days.

I don't advise it, but I can understand it.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

They already had very liberal work requirements (flex hours, Unlimited vacation / sick leave, full benefits (including health club and recreation perks), choice of work-from-home or office. Amazon and Costco memberships provided...)
Meanwhile companies still enforce the catch-22 and wonder why they can't find anyone.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:28 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,775,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
As in?

Min wage where I am is $15.25/hr.

Reputable employers pay OT after 8.

Not saying that is great money, not at all, but for an able-bodied person not otherwise compromised it's more than they'd likely qualify for.

WIC? Not likely to qualify.

Food stamps, probably.

Section 8? Get in line.

general relief? good luck

unemployemnt? yes, probably the only sure thing
Minimum wage where I am is $ 10.00 (set to go up to a whopping $ 11.00 this Fall).

As for unemployment, you cannot get that if you quit (in extreme cases you might, if you can prove your case).

As for the rest of your points, I agree.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Interesting comment from son who's COO / CFO of high tech with 100+ skilled employees.

Tough to find good help anymore (there is none)
But they're still enforcing the catch-22. So they're not trying hard enough. Plenty of people willing to learn new skills and do career changes. They get hit by the catch-22.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:09 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,446,355 times
Quote:
But they're still enforcing the catch-22. So they're not trying hard enough. Plenty of people willing to learn new skills and do career changes. They get hit by the catch-22.
Do you get paid for the amount of times you use the phrase catch 22?

First of all, if this was as widespread as you claim, the companies that do train people should be able to exploit this market failure, and crush their competition?

Secondly, when you hire for personal contracting jobs at your house or for your dental/medical care, do you go out of the way to hire people without exp, or do you apply the same filters?

Old 06-24-2022, 02:10 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
What exactly is this "catch-22" you keep mentioning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance