Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 02:20 PM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have been a landlord at various locations since the 1980s. Often my tenants were people who earned more than I earned. If I could afford to buy, they could certainly afford to buy.

In most cases, over the duration of their tenancy, I got to know each of my tenants. The topic of renting vs. owning has come up many times.

The choice to rent is almost always a matter of emotion. It rarely has any relation to the financial ability to own.

you will never get a mortgage approved if you never apply for a mortgage. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When someone has the mindset of "I insist that I can not get a mortgage approved", it would be easier to fly to the moon than to force such a person to apply for a mortgage.

I have owned apartment buildings when I knew at the beginning that I was only going to be stationed there for a total of three [3] years.

Not sure where this four [4] year idea came from.

I have never experienced this one.

In my personal opinion, Tri-plexes, Four-plexes, and Five-plexes are far better methods of building wealth, than a Single-Family-Residence.
I’m curious to know how you came about to think multi plexes are better than sfh.
On what you’ve posted the money you cash flow and the appreciation on those cheap places you bought don’t amount to much.
On the other hand I had several sfh go from 50 to 180k in a few years.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:37 PM

61,703 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Top much bickering here. Asked and answered. Now closed.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance