Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 03:28 PM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 140,415 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are expecting our first kiddo in a few weeks, and I'm looking for some options to invest for him.

I don't really have a clear picture of what I want the funds to be for.

I have no idea if college will be free in 18 years, or if he'll want to go to college.

I don't know if he would prefer to just have stock market investments with an 18 year head start.

I don't know if it would be good to just save on my own and then withdraw and give him a cash payment at 18 for him to do whatever he wants with.

Just looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 03:46 PM

26,200 posts, read 21,690,573 times
How is your savings for retirement? What’s your plan for retirement and is it on track? Saving for kids is overrated until you are on really solid ground for your retirement imo

Old 07-27-2022, 04:36 PM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 140,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How is your savings for retirement? What’s your plan for retirement and is it on track? Saving for kids is overrated until you are on really solid ground for your retirement imo
We have $163k in our pensions and 401(k)s. My wife no longer works but may get part time work starting in '23. I invest 5% and get 100% match. We're on track to pay off our mortgage when I'm 66. I'm 37 and she's 32.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:44 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,627,305 times
Start a 529 plan for them. You can actually use 529 savings for K-12 expenses, as well for college.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
We have $163k in our pensions and 401(k)s. My wife no longer works but may get part time work starting in '23. I invest 5% and get 100% match. We're on track to pay off our mortgage when I'm 66. I'm 37 and she's 32.
I don’t know how much you spend annually or your income but saving 5-10% would lean me towards saying, save more for yourself, max out your retirement programs for you and your wife and don’t save for the newborn specifically. You could put money into Roth(s) and take withdraw your contributions at any time without tax consequences if you need monies for the child.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:00 AM

1,078 posts, read 638,818 times
Congrats on your firstborn! Here's what I recommend:

1) A term life insurance policy for you and your wife. At least a 20-year policy, preferably a $1M policy each.

2) 10% pre-tax retirement savings, regardless of what your employer contributes.

2)a) Invest part of the 10% mentioned above into a health savings account (HSA) if you meet the IRS qualifications. HSA contributions are tax-free, the account grows tax-free, and withdrawals are tax-free if used for medical purposes.

3) After the above, work towards maxing out a Roth IRA for you and your wife.

4) Any remaining funds may go into a 529. Please note that if your child doesn't attend college, the IRS allows a transfer to eligible relatives.

5) I recommend investments in growth funds VOO, VUG, and VGT.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,646,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post

1) A term life insurance policy for you and your wife. At least a 20-year policy, preferably a $1M policy each.
I think this is an underrated suggestion. Life insurance to at least get the kid through college in the event that anything happens to the household earner.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post

2) 10% pre-tax retirement savings, regardless of what your employer contributes.

2)a) Invest part of the 10% mentioned above into a health savings account (HSA) if you meet the IRS qualifications. HSA contributions are tax-free, the account grows tax-free, and withdrawals are tax-free if used for medical purposes.

3) After the above, work towards maxing out a Roth IRA for you and your wife.

4) Any remaining funds may go into a 529. Please note that if your child doesn't attend college, the IRS allows a transfer to eligible relatives.

5) I recommend investments in growth funds VOO, VUG, and VGT.
Why have step 4 before maximizing 1-3?

Old 07-28-2022, 09:41 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,367,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
May be too much in retirement funds. Set up savings plan emergency fund for what if. From diapers to furniture to clothing there is a lot of expense here. First priority to take care of child care needs. You have 5 years to get ready for school. (In TN this weekend is tax-free to buy school supplies, clothes, computers.)

Term life insurance would cover large emergency.

For the mortgage see if you can paydown payoff in 15 years. At that point 0% chance of foreclosure. Invest/save funds not going to the bank. Save some, have some fun, give some.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:04 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,165,551 times
Congrats on the new baby!

I 3rd the term life policy suggestion.

I was you a few years ago having my 1st child at 35. One of the things I got at the time was term life. My wife was upset initially with the thought but she agreed after further discussion. I would get more than you think, but not so much you would struggle with the premium.I didn't think we'd be having 9% inflation. I think the payout woou still be enough in my demise, but won't go as far if inflation stays this high for a long period.

I would build up your retirement savings before trying to save for child's future. They can get a loan for school if you don't have enough, but it's harder to get a loan for retirement.

For our kids, I'm saving the future educational expenses in a brokerage account. I'm not sure if they'll want to go to college, so I rather have more control of the funds.

We also have a UTMA account to teach them about investing. That is extra funds and at 20 monthly each, it won't be a lot of money to get in trouble with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance