Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:56 PM

5,911 posts, read 4,472,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I consider myself a good tipper, when I walk in the door I’m tipping 20% for just ordinary service. Impress me and it moves up, neglect me and it goes down but never below 15%.

I don’t tip for take-out unless they bring it to my car and then it’s just a couple of bucks.

I don’t know of any major restaurants that regularly use servers to handle carry out, it’s almost always non-tipped employees that make at least minimum wage who handle that.

I always tip for takeout because is just as much work to load it into there properly, actually remember everything, and provide all the right silverware and other things as it is to walk it out to the table. I think they deserve just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 10:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,615,186 times
It has been going on for years,the trend of not tipping or tipping less.
You see your restaurant bill coaching you how to tip,or stating 10% is included in the bill or in a cafeteria,cashier asks if you want some change so you can leave the waitress/waiter a tip .
Unless it is a restaurant catering to business men and women on expense account,few expect a generous tip.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:27 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,658,458 times
Zero $ for ordering ahead & then picking up/take out.

If I order at the place and somebody is making the order in front of me I put $1 in the jar.

For delivery, everything is close by in the neighborhood less than 10 mins away with stop lights, I add $5 to my order.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:48 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,013,931 times
No this again. My issue is why is tipping tied to the bill? If I order a $20 burger then I'll tip $4. If I order a $70 steak, I'm expected to tip $14. Did the server do $10 more work to bring the steak to my table?

Off topic but I know people that tip plumbers, Contractors, etc. I ask them why don't they go ahead and tip their Doctor since he's doing you a service also. I get blank stares.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:11 AM

17,164 posts, read 8,808,850 times
People tip on all sorts of things these days. Things that I never would have expected. We had family photos taken by a professional photographer and my DH wanted to tip the photographer. I was like, WHY? We're paying him a good amount of money for all of this as it is...he's by himself....why tip him? Some people are just more generous than others and that's what it comes down to I guess.

I have also heard of people tipping their kids dance instructor and other types of lessons for kids. That seems new to me as well. Should we start tipping teachers? EMTs?

I can understand tipping a waitress or server who is making $3 an hour. It just seems like more and more is being placed on the customer in the service industry.

It's also expected to tip for any type of beauty service....and these services are already expensive with prices continuing to rise. Sometimes it's amazing to me who stays in business.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:33 AM

26,223 posts, read 21,761,331 times
I’m not sure why people are bothered by who and how much other people tip. You can tip or not, it doesn’t impact me and I’ll do the same

Old 09-27-2022, 10:59 AM

What i am saying is that there are certain services out there that are already pricey and it's expected to leave whoever gave them to you a 20% tip. For this reason I have learned to do a lot of things myself.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:38 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,231,182 times
I never tip for takeout. I figure I’m not dirtying plates or cutlery. No dirty napkins to launder. Don’t use the HVAC, dirty up the tabletops, use the plumbing facilities, or take any of the waitstaffs bandwidth or attention. I only use the parking spot for as long as it takes to pay for the order and go.

If anything, I think takeout orders should get a bit of a discount since they are not utilizing any of the restaurants resources to actually eat the meal, and possibly hang around and chat afterwards.

For those who want to tip, more power to you. I used to be in the restaurant business (in another life) and no one ever expected tips for a take-out order. I personally don’t know anyone who tips for takeout.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:43 AM

26,223 posts, read 21,761,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What i am saying is that there are certain services out there that are already pricey and it's expected to leave whoever gave them to you a 20% tip. For this reason I have learned to do a lot of things myself.
Expected and what you do is completely different. Don’t worry what others do

Old 09-27-2022, 11:53 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I never tip for takeout. I figure I’m not dirtying plates or cutlery. No dirty napkins to launder. Don’t use the HVAC, dirty up the tabletops, use the plumbing facilities, or take any of the waitstaffs bandwidth or attention. I only use the parking spot for as long as it takes to pay for the order and go.

If anything, I think takeout orders should get a bit of a discount since they are not utilizing any of the restaurants resources to actually eat the meal, and possibly hang around and chat afterwards.

For those who want to tip, more power to you. I used to be in the restaurant business (in another life) and no one ever expected tips for a take-out order. I personally don’t know anyone who tips for takeout.
Good points. I don't understand how some people think picking up a take out order deserves the same amount of tip (or any tip) as sitting down and being served, cleaned up after.

I don't know if i'd go as far as to say take out should get a discount but it does raise some interesting points. While take out orders do use up throwaway containers that the restaurant paid for they save the restaurant from having to clean up after someone - from the plates, glasses, cutlery they used to cleaning up the table they sat at.

Picking up an entree that has been shoved in a container and brought home is not nearly the same as sitting down to eat it served hot by someone a plate. That's kind of on the customer to make that choice to order take out in the first place though. There are certain meals that maybe weren't meant to be take out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance