Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 09:34 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,493,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think it’s okay for bums to ask for money, or the cashier. Anyone can ask and you don’t have to do it. It’s so simple yet you seem to be really caught up on it
I am. Just like you are really caught up in with my thoughts on this. I don't seem to be the only one who is irritated by this. 'Bums' asking for money is different than going to a place that you are already paying for something and being asked for more money on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 10:07 AM

26,199 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am. Just like you are really caught up in with my thoughts on this. I don't seem to be the only one who is irritated by this. 'Bums' asking for money is different than going to a place that you are already paying for something and being asked for more money on top of that.
I’m not caught up but rather amused by your absurdity and the frequency you need to continue posting about it, I’m just replying to the nonsensical

Anyone can ask me for money and I’ll give it where I see fit and you can do the same without impacting me at all. What’s the reasoning for complaining endlessly?

Old 10-01-2022, 10:13 AM

Im just as amused by your frequency to keep arguing with me on this.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:31 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 11 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I never tip for takeout. I figure I’m not dirtying plates or cutlery. No dirty napkins to launder. Don’t use the HVAC, dirty up the tabletops, use the plumbing facilities, or take any of the waitstaffs bandwidth or attention. I only use the parking spot for as long as it takes to pay for the order and go.

If anything, I think takeout orders should get a bit of a discount since they are not utilizing any of the restaurants resources to actually eat the meal, and possibly hang around and chat afterwards.

For those who want to tip, more power to you. I used to be in the restaurant business (in another life) and no one ever expected tips for a take-out order. I personally don’t know anyone who tips for takeout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We gave tips for takeout during the Covid lockdown, because the servers were not getting tips and we wanted the place to stay in business. Now that things are back to somewhat normal, tips are for service. When you order and pay online, and pick it up, it's only the kitchen staff cooking and boxing the food. The person handing it to you is not deserving of a tip. We recently did a 3 state 2 week road trip, with most meals at restaurants, and none were very crowded, like before the pandemic. We tipped 25-30% depending on the service given.
Not necessarily true. When my son was in the restaurant business waitstaff took care of boxing and bagging takeout in addition to their regular tables, so it cut into time attending tables that tipped.
I don't tip a regular tip because the same level of service just isn't there but I do tip something, because they make the same lousy less than min wage whether they are attending a table or taking the time to put my order together and make sure it's right.
Quote:
They're doing their job. Is the customer not already paying a premium for the food? The restaurant owner should pay the worker a living wage. Instead it's put on the customer lol. It's almost funny. Like it's the customer's problem to pay for the service of the employee putting their food in a box even though they've already paid for the food and other fees on top of that in some cases

If you buy a shirt at target and someone rings you up and puts the shirt in a bag is that also a service ?
They should, but they don't, and until that changes you think it's ok to just say ***** you to the waitstaff making three bucks an hour while putting your order together? Advocate for change, refuse to patronize a business if you don't believe in how they do things, but in the meantime why shortchange the waitstaff over it?
(the cashier at target doesn't work for less than min wage)

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-01-2022 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-01-2022, 11:08 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not necessarily true. When my son was in the restaurant business waitstaff took care of boxing and bagging takeout in addition to their regular tables, so it cut into time attending tables that tipped.
I don't tip a regular tip because the same level of service just isn't there but I do tip something, because they make the same lousy less than min wage whether they are attending a table or taking the time to put my order together and make sure it's right.They should, but they don't, and until that changes you think it's ok to just say ***** you to the waitstaff making three bucks an hour while putting your order together? Advocate for change, refuse to patronize a business if you don't believe in how they do things, but in the meantime why shortchange the waitstaff over it?
(the cashier at target doesn't work for less than min wage)
I already said I tip well when I sit down to eat and someone waits on me.

Take out is a different story. Perhaps the restaurant should hire different people to 'deal with' putting taking out orders in a bag and handing them to customers.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I already said I tip well when I sit down to eat and someone waits on me.

Take out is a different story. Perhaps the restaurant should hire different people to 'deal with' putting taking out orders in a bag and handing them to customers.
Which doesn't address the point of the thread, i.e. tipping for takeout

Old 10-01-2022, 11:44 AM

And people clearly take issue with customers not tipping for take out orders

Old 10-01-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
And people clearly take issue with customers not tipping for take out orders
Well yes, because you keep stating that it's a part of their job, as if that's the last word. That's only an opinion. You are talking about people making a few bucks an hour, LITERALLY, whose expectation from their employer is that the rest is made up in TIPS. If you don't get that I don't know what to say.
Don't like it, don't patronize those establishments that utilize it.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:11 PM

26,199 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Im just as amused by your frequency to keep arguing with me on this.
Believe me you aren’t the only amused by your absurdity. There’s plenty of entertainment for all of us watching this

Old 10-01-2022, 12:13 PM

But if someone gets take out it's still up to them to leave a tip because the person that handed them the bag only makes a few bucks an hour ?

The same could be said for a highly paid physician whose kid is attending 3rd grade. Maybe he/she should be tipping the teacher to make up for what the school doesn't pay them

There are many many instances in life and in this country where people could be more generous and giving but they're not

Just like there are other underpaid people who might want take out occasionally but don't have a few extra bucks to tip for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance