Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2022, 10:22 AM

16,986 posts, read 8,663,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, she/he/it asks questions and then gets annoyed when people respond to said questions.
nah i've just noticed it's the same people responding to me to be negative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 12:06 PM

3,112 posts, read 2,095,826 times
We tip 10 to 15% for hot food delivery and tip 10% when we pick up in person. Yes 10% for pickup may be high but we want the few restaurants we like to keep good help and stay in business, Covid has been a challenge for everyone. One place I noticed puts all tips together, in-person seated food service plus carryout which is probably 50% of their business.

Our food bill is never very high and parting with an extra $4 to $5 is possible for us. We were young and broke once.
We have a friend, multimillionaire, not self-made, his parents had money. He will NOT TIP, we don't like to go out with him, not for that but because he chooses bad restaurants because they are clients.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:08 PM

24,843 posts, read 11,286,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
People tip on all sorts of things these days. Things that I never would have expected. We had family photos taken by a professional photographer and my DH wanted to tip the photographer. I was like, WHY? We're paying him a good amount of money for all of this as it is...he's by himself....why tip him? Some people are just more generous than others and that's what it comes down to I guess.

I have also heard of people tipping their kids dance instructor and other types of lessons for kids. That seems new to me as well. Should we start tipping teachers? EMTs?

I can understand tipping a waitress or server who is making $3 an hour. It just seems like more and more is being placed on the customer in the service industry.

It's also expected to tip for any type of beauty service....and these services are already expensive with prices continuing to rise. Sometimes it's amazing to me who stays in business.
Service expects a tip. Just as you expect service. You do not have to tip. That last minute appointment, late evening comb out, how to do your own up-do - it is called a customer your beautician likes to do business with.
Yes, you do tip your kids' teachers with presents.
Yes, we tip our trash guys, fire fighters, yard guys, trainers and have not for going out of their way or at least Christmas.
LOL, sr. management sent me a gift card for doing a good job.
What do you think Christmas bonuses are besides tips?

Old 09-28-2022, 12:28 PM

A gift is not a tip.

You must work at a very old school place of employment. I work at a large university in the Boston area and Xmas bonuses are not given. It would probably be considered discriminatory even say 'Christmas bonus' for people who don't celebrate Christmas. I dont know many people who get a Christmas bonus. A quarterly bonus or a yearly bonus yes...but again not all companies give these.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:09 PM

24,843 posts, read 11,286,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A gift is not a tip.

You must work at a very old school place of employment. I work at a large university in the Boston area and Xmas bonuses are not given. It would probably be considered discriminatory even say 'Christmas bonus' for people who don't celebrate Christmas. I dont know many people who get a Christmas bonus. A quarterly bonus or a yearly bonus yes...but again not all companies give these.
Actually based in your area and my general area of operation as well. Old school? No, just knowing how to show appreciation instead of a plaque.

Last edited by Threestep2; 09-28-2022 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: x

Old 09-28-2022, 01:17 PM

I've worked at two tech companies and a university over the past 10 years...they give bonuses but not a xmas bonus. They were given at the end of the fiscal year.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,846,971 times
We gave tips for takeout during the Covid lockdown, because the servers were not getting tips and we wanted the place to stay in business. Now that things are back to somewhat normal, tips are for service. When you order and pay online, and pick it up, it's only the kitchen staff cooking and boxing the food. The person handing it to you is not deserving of a tip. We recently did a 3 state 2 week road trip, with most meals at restaurants, and none were very crowded, like before the pandemic. We tipped 25-30% depending on the service given.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:26 PM

15,178 posts, read 27,948,113 times
So... someone getting your food, packing it, etc. isn't service?

Old 09-28-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
So... someone getting your food, packing it, etc. isn't service?
They're doing their job. Is the customer not already paying a premium for the food? The restaurant owner should pay the worker a living wage. Instead it's put on the customer lol. It's almost funny. Like it's the customer's problem to pay for the service of the employee putting their food in a box even though they've already paid for the food and other fees on top of that in some cases

If you buy a shirt at target and someone rings you up and puts the shirt in a bag is that also a service ?

Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM

15,178 posts, read 27,948,113 times
Well.... just make your own food at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance