Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 12:14 PM

16,748 posts, read 8,464,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Believe me you aren’t the only amused by your absurdity. There’s plenty of entertainment for all of us watching this
I could care less. Tip all you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 12:15 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 8 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,239,084 times
Your comparisons are completely illogical.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:15 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,880,396 times
So... you do care!! If you could care less, apparently so.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:28 PM

3,715 posts, read 4,875,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Take out is a different story. Perhaps the restaurant should hire different people to 'deal with' putting taking out orders in a bag and handing them to customers.
Then the prices would need to be raised.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:53 PM

3,715 posts, read 4,875,623 times
Quote:

See how that works? The corporation/restaurant owner doesn't need to pay them more. The customer does.
The customer always pays for the service. Tip or not! "Pay them more" they say, "we should not have to pay them anymore" they say. Etc... etc... Guess what? What happens when they do pay them more? Or hire more staff? The price goes up. Simple economics!

You're going to pay it anyway! Why not have the choice be yours? If the service is good and friendly, leave a better tip. If not, don't.

BTW, I've worked and been involved with a career involving tips for years. I charter fish.
Now that I own my own boat and use a mate, I call out the clients who leave a cheap tip or try to leave without tipping the mate. I want to know why he, who worked his ass off for their trip does not deserve more!

And before you call me out for not charging more for the trips. Well, in this business you pretty much stick to a standard pricing per boat size. If I paid my mate more, I would have to charge the prices for a boat considerably larger, therefore, in a tourist town where people look at prices to get their attention why would they charter my 23-footer instead of a much roomier 30-footer if they are the same price. Let them tip appropriately for the professional mate who works is butt off. Likewise, they can tip the mate on another boat appropriately for sitting on his butt and not being friendly at all.

Same goes for other services, including restaurants.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:37 PM

26,199 posts, read 21,682,418 times
Quote:
I could care less. Tip all you want.
Realistically you make it hard to believe you are college educated let alone a graduate degree. You are attempting now multiple times to say you “couldn’t care less” but somehow you are ignorant to understand the difference between could and couldnt. If you have a graduate degree it’s a shame really

Old 10-01-2022, 05:26 PM

16,748 posts, read 8,464,802 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Realistically you make it hard to believe you are college educated let alone a graduate degree. You are attempting now multiple times to say you “couldn’t care less” but somehow you are ignorant to understand the difference between could and couldnt. If you have a graduate degree it’s a shame really
Now you're just getting nasty because I don't want to tip for take out

Old 10-01-2022, 05:44 PM

8,051 posts, read 3,967,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
No this again. My issue is why is tipping tied to the bill? If I order a $20 burger then I'll tip $4. If I order a $70 steak, I'm expected to tip $14. Did the server do $10 more work to bring the steak to my table?

Off topic but I know people that tip plumbers, Contractors, etc. I ask them why don't they go ahead and tip their Doctor since he's doing you a service also. I get blank stares.
There is a tip jar at the receptionist at a physical therapy location near here.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:51 PM

8,051 posts, read 3,967,817 times
Quote:
Went to sweet frogs last night which is a frozen yogurt place where the customer gets their own yogurt and then puts the toppings on themselves. The cashier rang us up then presented me with a screen where I was asked to leave a tip at the top. I sighed and thought of this thread. This is literally a serve yourself ice cream place but whoever runs it thinks it's ok for employees to ask for a tip. Lol.
Try putting in a tip of negative $1.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:45 PM

775 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasudesu View Post
What is appropriate tip percentage for web based order of restaurant takeouts you are picking up on own?

I did not notice tip portion when checking out few years ago. I see this with casual takeouts such as Jersey Mike’s too.
i dont tip anybody so it would be zero for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance