Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 04:08 PM

17,095 posts, read 8,713,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well.... just make your own food at home?
I do. But I disagree that I'm obligated to give someone a 20% tip for food I paid for because they put it in a box. The point some of us are trying to make is that tipping has gotten stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 04:13 PM

15,182 posts, read 27,960,516 times
Who said 20????? The people doing this are employees - you aren't willing to help out?

Old 09-28-2022, 06:18 PM

24,865 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I do. But I disagree that I'm obligated to give someone a 20% tip for food I paid for because they put it in a box. The point some of us are trying to make is that tipping has gotten stupid
Great for you! You are on the customer side. Some people may not look for a tax write off but want to do something nice to others.
I do not do take out simply because of the location. Strangely the front porch is spotless including furniture when the grass guys leave. They have no reason to do that. They are being nice.

Actually, they guys at Walmart who carry my regular ten case wine orders out and load it for me know me. Best 5$ a quarter I invest.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:47 PM

26,218 posts, read 21,735,603 times
Quote:
Did anyone claim you were obligated to tip 20% on to go orders? It’s nonsense like this that gets you the replies and then you cry about it

Old 09-29-2022, 06:22 AM

Ok I don't want to leave any tip for take out. None.

Old 09-29-2022, 03:45 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,217,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Who said 20????? The people doing this are employees - you aren't willing to help out?
Listen, it's not my job to help out the employees of a restaurant. It's THEIR job to help out the customer. That's their job. That's what they were hired to do. Let's not turn this around. If anyone has a responsibility to "help out" the employees, it's restaurant management. Putting food in a box does not constitute a tip-earning endeavor.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:25 PM

Default Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Listen, it's not my job to help out the employees of a restaurant. It's THEIR job to help out the customer. That's their job. That's what they were hired to do. Let's not turn this around. If anyone has a responsibility to "help out" the employees, it's restaurant management. Putting food in a box does not constitute a tip-earning endeavor.
I agree that this seems to have gotten lost in translation somewhere along the way. It is the servers job to help the customer. It is their job, it's why they were hired. Somehow it became the customers job to help the server regardless of the service. It's now up to the customer to be as generous as possible to help the poor waitstaff pay their bills in this unfair world we live in. Customers are supposed to feel sorry for service workers.

See how that works? The corporation/restaurant owner doesn't need to pay them more. The customer does.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,954,736 times
Quote:
Ok I don't want to leave any tip for take out. None.
I don't see the problem. Is someone forcing you to leave a tip?

Old 10-01-2022, 08:30 AM

Went to sweet frogs last night which is a frozen yogurt place where the customer gets their own yogurt and then puts the toppings on themselves. The cashier rang us up then presented me with a screen where I was asked to leave a tip at the top. I sighed and thought of this thread. This is literally a serve yourself ice cream place but whoever runs it thinks it's ok for employees to ask for a tip. Lol.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:39 AM

26,218 posts, read 21,735,603 times
Quote:
Went to sweet frogs last night which is a frozen yogurt place where the customer gets their own yogurt and then puts the toppings on themselves. The cashier rang us up then presented me with a screen where I was asked to leave a tip at the top. I sighed and thought of this thread. This is literally a serve yourself ice cream place but whoever runs it thinks it's ok for employees to ask for a tip. Lol.
I think it’s okay for bums to ask for money, or the cashier. Anyone can ask and you don’t have to do it. It’s so simple yet you seem to be really caught up on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance