Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2023, 09:05 PM

746 posts, read 496,869 times

Advertisements

Medicaid is my LTC Plan+ 3 months a year my retiree health insurance indemnity plan offers. This is probably why it's so expensive at $35 a week. It used to cost $20 per wk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 01:25 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
LTC has never been a self-insure vs buy insurance issue but rather a market dynamics issue.

When the policies were first introduced they were priced way below their value, so it was a no brainer. Now after seeing the result of those policies (huge losses and insolvent insurers) no one wants to take insurance risk around LTC cost and utilization, so the insurance companies are pushing mediocre and expensive life/LTC fusion policies that are more like an AFLAC policy (event occurs --> get fixed payout) than actual coverage for care and fused to a giant life policy you might not want. State partnership plans are great IF you can even get one and IF you are willing to use a medicaid facility (which are not good places on the whole).
many states have no such thing as a medicaid facility , they are all private homes that allocate a certain number of beds to medicaid .

we have no medicaid homes here .

also once you are in for a few years as a paying customer they take medicaid assignment ..

so most areas don’t have crappy medicaid homes

Old 09-22-2023, 04:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
For veterans, there is also this option:

https://www.afrh.gov/

I'm 43 so haven't fully decided on LTCi. I have a bit of time to decide. The Federal government provides an option, but currently they've postponed enrolment
@ age 43, I'd already been a caregiver for 25 years, so LTCi was a no-brainer.

I can afford the under $50 / month premium.

I've seen more LTC payouts for Home Healthcare, than SNF. I hope to use it for HHC, as I have a very nice view, and extra living quarters for a caregiver.

LTC has enabled several good friends to stay home to die, and be well cared for. None of them could have afforded it out of their wealth, but that is possible for $500k + set aside (which is a viable option for many today). At the moment figure $10k/ month, and calculate how many months you (and spouse) can last.

My 98yo FIL.... " I never thought we could last this long.... especially HER!" (Very High maintenance replacement spouse) Wish he would have bought her LTCi. He wouldn't be changing diapers at age 98. Among many, many other daily tasks. He's wearing out very quickly, then who will change her diaper? Sorry, .... you just can't shoot them! I know so many cases of people who thought they were on that LTC plan. Not!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-22-2023 at 04:41 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 441 times
Conventional thinking is that long-term care insurance is a good idea for most people, but it depends on your individual factors, such as age, health, financial situation, and family history.

If you are considering dropping your long-term care coverage, it is important to weigh the pros and cons carefully. Consider the cost of long-term care, your health, financial situation, and family history before making a decision.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:12 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
most important is your asset level and whether you have a spouse or dependent children to protect .

also asset level . if there is little to protect then it is a moot point.

we look at family history the least as well as over all health at the moment .

a stroke can change all that in a heartbeat like it did my dad .

never sick ,great longevity in the family , but so what ..a stroke left him paralyzed, speechless and unaware

he needed 5 years of 24/7 care

Old 09-29-2023, 05:10 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
Well, I think Elon is there, he can self-fund any long term care he or his "family" need. I would say anyone who can lay hands on as "little" as $10MM is OK unless they have a very large family who are all incapacitated while still dependents, rather unlikely.

I self-funded almost 3 years of long-term care for my wife when she was incapacitated by Huntington's disease. Base price for this was $6500/month. Partially tax deductible. I was able to "raid" my 401k since I was over 59.5 when she went in.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:14 PM

1,215 posts, read 540,765 times
My parents both had long term insurance, but according to my calculations at the time, it was not worth it (I think because they bought it too early and paid out too much).

I am not carrying it for that reason.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most important is your asset level and whether you have a spouse or dependent children to protect .

also asset level . if there is little to protect then it is a moot point.

we look at family history the least as well as over all health at the moment .

a stroke can change all that in a heartbeat like it did my dad .

never sick ,great longevity in the family , but so what ..a stroke left him paralyzed, speechless and unaware

he needed 5 years of 24/7 care
I live in a state where there is an option to opt out if you are considered terminal and part of my plan in the case of something like what happened to your dad (and my condolences), I would opt out.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
@ age 43, I'd already been a caregiver for 25 years, so LTCi was a no-brainer.

I can afford the under $50 / month premium.

I've seen more LTC payouts for Home Healthcare, than SNF. I hope to use it for HHC, as I have a very nice view, and extra living quarters for a caregiver.

LTC has enabled several good friends to stay home to die, and be well cared for. None of them could have afforded it out of their wealth, but that is possible for $500k + set aside (which is a viable option for many today). At the moment figure $10k/ month, and calculate how many months you (and spouse) can last.

My 98yo FIL.... " I never thought we could last this long.... especially HER!" (Very High maintenance replacement spouse) Wish he would have bought her LTCi. He wouldn't be changing diapers at age 98. Among many, many other daily tasks. He's wearing out very quickly, then who will change her diaper? Sorry, .... you just can't shoot them! I know so many cases of people who thought they were on that LTC plan. Not!
Does she still want to live?

I would not want to live that way.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:26 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,216,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I live in a state where there is an option to opt out if you are considered terminal and part of my plan in the case of something like what happened to your dad (and my condolences), I would opt out.

What state are you referring to?

And is it really easy to say "I dont wanna live this way kill me"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance